Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Results 31 to 37 of 37
  1. Collapse Details
    #31
    Default
    A slightly different test here. I downloaded Cinematch finally to check it out.

    Here it is comparing the C200 Raw to the S1H 10 bit footage. Same source footage as my previous test, this time both from the same angle, so you can see even more how closely they're able to match up.

    cinematch_C200 left_S1Hright.jpg

    I noticed that Cinematch does not currently have a C300 III camera profile. So I couldn't match it up with the S1H in that way. I think it's crucial that they provide that camera profile before we can easily test since the C300 III has a brand new dual gain sensor.

    Anyway, pretty easy and close match between the S1H and the C200 I feel like. The Cinematch software was pretty easy to get around in. It did appear to me though that the first step it does is essentially a color space transform, which you can do for free by making and downloading a custom lut in LutCalc, and then it has some built in tools for white balance and tint, etc. It seems like you could get there by doing a few things manually, but of course that's true of most software tools.

    Still very cool software and definitely easy to use and pretty quick. I may pick it up anyway just for ease of use when matching cameras in post.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by DustinSchmidt; 11-24-2020 at 03:16 PM. Reason: Uploaded wrong image originally


    Reply With Quote
     

  2. Collapse Details
    #32
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by DustinSchmidt View Post
    A slightly different test here. I downloaded Cinematch finally to check it out.

    Here it is comparing the C200 Raw to the S1H 10 bit footage. Same source footage as my previous test, this time both from the same angle, so you can see even more how closely they're able to match up.

    cinematch_C200 left_S1Hright.jpg

    I noticed that Cinematch does not currently have a C300 III camera profile. So I couldn't match it up with the S1H in that way. I think it's crucial that they provide that camera profile before we can easily test since the C300 III has a brand new dual gain sensor.

    Anyway, pretty easy and close match between the S1H and the C200 I feel like. The Cinematch software was pretty easy to get around in. It did appear to me though that the first step it does is essentially a color space transform, which you can do for free by making and downloading a custom lut in LutCalc, and then it has some built in tools for white balance and tint, etc. It seems like you could get there by doing a few things manually, but of course that's true of most software tools.

    Still very cool software and definitely easy to use and pretty quick. I may pick it up anyway just for ease of use when matching cameras in post.
    I stand corrected, there IS a C70 profile for Cinematch so you can use that for the C300 III. Why they would start with the C70 and not the C300 III is beyond me, but I guess they feel it will have wider adoption.


    Reply With Quote
     

  3. Collapse Details
    #33
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Posts
    2,066
    Default
    Why not a Sony FX6? The best of both worlds! You'll give up almost nothing for when it comes to shooting videos vs a C200 or S1H, aside from no 4K S35 (the FX6 is even lighter than a S1H is!).
    Am a Sound Recordist in New Zealand: http://ironfilm.co.nz/sound/
    Follow my vlog and adventures in sound: https://www.youtube.com/c/SoundSpeeding


    Reply With Quote
     

  4. Collapse Details
    #34
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by IronFilm View Post
    Why not a Sony FX6? The best of both worlds! You'll give up almost nothing for when it comes to shooting videos vs a C200 or S1H, aside from no 4K S35 (the FX6 is even lighter than a S1H is!).
    Interesting take. I’m looking for a hybrid at the moment as I also shoot stills. I may end up convincing myself to just separate out the still and video features I need though.

    Are you an S1H owner? How do you use it in your daily work? I’m looking for insight from current owners on what makes it great. And for tips and use cases.


    Reply With Quote
     

  5. Collapse Details
    #35
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Posts
    2,066
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by DustinSchmidt View Post
    Interesting take. I’m looking for a hybrid at the moment as I also shoot stills. I may end up convincing myself to just separate out the still and video features I need though.
    A secondhand Sony a7Rmk2 (or even a7mk2) is cheap as chips and is very capable for stills indeed, why not get both that and an FX6?
    Am a Sound Recordist in New Zealand: http://ironfilm.co.nz/sound/
    Follow my vlog and adventures in sound: https://www.youtube.com/c/SoundSpeeding


    Reply With Quote
     

  6. Collapse Details
    #36
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    2,476
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by DustinSchmidt View Post
    Are you an S1H owner? How do you use it in your daily work? Iím looking for insight from current owners on what makes it great.
    I am an S1H owner and here's my take on exactly what makes the S1H so great:
    https://youtu.be/GhZP14WVCn0


    Reply With Quote
     

  7. Collapse Details
    #37
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug Jensen View Post
    I am an S1H owner and here's my take on exactly what makes the S1H so great:
    https://youtu.be/GhZP14WVCn0
    Thanks Doug, this is very helpful and exactly the kind of info I'm looking for. I may end up checking out your course before I make a final decision on my purchase.

    We use a C300 Mk III as our main cinema camera, so the C70 is making a big case right now for a secondary B-cam. But for a hybrid I may still go the S1H route anyway.


    Reply With Quote
     

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •