Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Collapse Details
    He has a personality and got in at a good time - built his brand up - but I'm not big into long form myself. But I guess if you like someone enough and their format and presentation, the longer the better.

Personally, I love to watch dozens of 2-3 minutes per day.

Anything over 3 minutes really tests my patience unless I am trying to learn something very complicated (like certain software tutorials).

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter C. View Post
    I was having a convo with my brother about it. In some ways he has the potential to create a channel but the amount of time and effort might get you very little. I'm sure there are places you could get tips but it's still very hard. A lot of the modern day platforms are very attractive because you have the freedom to create and post content. The issue is only a few at the top get the views. Even if you manage to create good content, get views, to consistently follow that up to generate equally compelling content to build a following is daunting.
    I find the best artistic visual quality and over all content quality to be found on Vimeo. A hidden gem. The YT rat-race for views is a bit much sometimes and even with Twitch as in the constant husseling for money is a bit much at times.

//Making money on YT? IDK.
    Last edited by Gord.T; 10-15-2020 at 02:12 AM.
    "Remember To Dip the Right End of the Cigar in your $250.00 dollar glass of Brandy." -Doc Bernard.

3. Collapse Details
    From my research, YouTube is really no different than FB or IG and the only way to gain a lot of viewers, unless you experience growth through a viral or celebrity endorsement, is to literally buy them. From what I have read, many of the videos you see with huge viewer
    numbers are essentially bought and paid for.

I will say that my daughter dabbled around with her YT channel for a while. She was vegan and made a video in our kitchen about how to prepare Jackfruit and use it as a Pork Substitute. The video sat there with a
    few hundred views for six months but than inexplicably last year and into Quarantine this year, her video skyrocketed to 75k views. She has no idea why and none of her other videos have caught any traction beyond just a few hundred
    views. She now has over 1,000 subscribers and her views on that one video keep growing. In YT terms, these numbers, of course, are still tiny but considering she just put it out there and built up 75k views, I thought
    that was interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JG38hjUkiuc&t=55s
    It's a business first and a creative outlet second.
    G.A.S. destroys lives. Stop buying gear that doesn't make you money.

4. Collapse Details
    I always wonder just how much money is really being taken home by these Youtubers? It seems to me that Google has built the perfect mousetrap. Design a system where people are jumping for the opportunity to run around and make you money. Internet attention seems so fleeting that how can one expect to keep the entertainment levels up? Subscriptions do not vanish if people choose not to visit the channel anymore. Maybe that is coming up...

I am thankful for the system though as we have a lot more access to things/info than before. Which is Google's objective (along with profit).

5. Collapse Details
    Off Google search (hmm, I wonder if that even tries to be accurate), one can make $3,000-$5,000 off one million views. That doesn't count any sponsor money or, as in the case of Gerald Undone, free gear. There's also presumably the "subscriber" renting, where a popular channel gets some scrumptious offers to mail advertising to their followers.

And folks like Tony Northrup make good money selling the tutorials. In photo-video, that seems like the best way to cash in on popularity. You got 1,000,000 subscribers, even 1% of that is 10,000 tutorials. At $35-$50/per - chump change for those who drop well over $1K on a camera and lenses - that's big money.

6. Collapse Details
    It is money in the long tail. Once a clip gets viewers it can do so for many years.
    By the way it is just hard working to maintaining a youtube channel, just business.
    Last edited by Publimix; 10-15-2020 at 09:31 AM.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by puredrifting View Post
    From my research, YouTube is really no different than FB or IG and the only way to gain a lot of viewers, unless you experience growth through a viral or celebrity endorsement, is to literally buy them. From what I have read, many of the videos you see with huge viewer
    numbers are essentially bought and paid for.

I will say that my daughter dabbled around with her YT channel for a while. She was vegan and made a video in our kitchen about how to prepare Jackfruit and use it as a Pork Substitute. The video sat there with a
    few hundred views for six months but than inexplicably last year and into Quarantine this year, her video skyrocketed to 75k views. She has no idea why and none of her other videos have caught any traction beyond just a few hundred
    views. She now has over 1,000 subscribers and her views on that one video keep growing. In YT terms, these numbers, of course, are still tiny but considering she just put it out there and built up 75k views, I thought
    that was interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JG38hjUkiuc&t=55s
    Check the video's analytics and see if anyone embedded it anywhere.

That's almost always the case for a surge in traffic.

___

As far as money, making hundreds of thousands/millions (for the bigger players) was much easier before the AD-pocalypse years ago in the golden age of YouTube.

Now everything is more controlled and regulated through the algorithms and I imagine YouTube has their internal preferences and relationships as well.

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassman2003 View Post
    I always wonder just how much money is really being taken home by these Youtubers?
    It's like anything else -- the top 0.1% are making millions, the bottom 99.9% are making pennies off their views.

The base metric is that a view is worth 1/10 of a penny (give or take, depending on a million different factors, but on average it's about 1/10 of a penny from all I can find). So you need a thousand views to make a single dollar from ad revenues. A hundred thousand views sounds like a truckload, right? It's a hundred bucks. A million views, wow, that's a viral sensation spreading across the world, right? Yay, there's a whole thousand dollars.

I worked for about five years building up a channel in an unrelated field, got almost 50,000 subscribers and over 9 million views. Google still sends me a check for $150 every month. I think I can retire now.

Of course, I picked the wrong field. If I'd done makeup tips, and had some seriously actually interesting techniques to demonstrate, and put up videos every day, I'd probably have 50 million subscribers and be making a fortune off sponsors, product placement, and free product, and then you add in direct sales of some product or tutorial or something, and it can add up to seriously real money.

Either makeup tips, or video game playthroughs, those two fields seem astoundingly successful.

9. Collapse Details

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12