Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Camera and lens testing - need your opinion
    I'm doing some camera/lens testing today, looking mostly at DoF comparisons. And if you have a minute, I'd value your opinion. Do you prefer the DoF of A or B?
    I've made these ungraded S-LOG frame grabs grayscale to eliminate color differences, but otherwise they are straight from the original footage with no other manipulation. Also, the exposures are slightly different but that is not the focus (pun) of this test. I'm mostly looking at DoF differences and there were certain exposure settings I wanted to use. FYI, it might be a few weeks before I'll reveal what the images are, so don't waste your time replying if you are expecting an immediate answer from me as to what you are looking at. I'm just hoping for the opinions of others in a blind test. Thanks in advance.

If you prefer, you can download 4K files from here: https://vortexmedia.cimediacloud.com/r/CYgeKLG9DFTH

DOF_testing_1B.jpg
    DOF_testing_1A.jpg

2. Collapse Details
    I think I prefer the 2nd shot although they're not that different.

Doesn't it depend on how much we care about the background/chair? It's not an ugly/distracting background and if the setting/environment has some significance to the subject matter, I would choose the first shot as the background seems to be marginally more in focus.

3. Collapse Details
    I prefer "A", although I also think they are very close. I think I like "A" because the background is a little smoother and is also a little brighter with more contrast. That has nothing to do with DoF of course.

4. Collapse Details
    Aside from exposure I think there are minimal differences between the shots DOF look. Have no preference.

5. Collapse Details
    Thanks for the comments so far. Very interesting and helpful.
    I should have mentioned that I'm kind of using the plant as a stand-in for a human head. My mannequin is in storage and I've got nobody to sit in for me today. So Imagine this is a typical sit-down interview setup, and that is how the "look" should be judged.
    Plant = Human.

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Dater View Post
    Aside from exposure I think there are minimal differences between the shots DOF look. Have no preference.
    Curious to know if you are judging from these small embedded images or the original 4K grabs?

7. Collapse Details
    I like A. A bit more detail in background. (on laptop screen)

Strange enough when I download the files I prefer B (more detail).
    The files are different in size too, A= 5,7 mb, B= 3,5 mb

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug Jensen View Post
    Curious to know if you are judging from these small embedded images or the original 4K grabs?
    I was going to say I couldn't see a difference because I was looking at embedded images.
    Clearly A1 is the better image, it's significantly sharper with more contrast. Those traits would also make noise/banding more noticeable. The only advantage of 1b is the background is more soft. Some might find that more pleasing but i'ts only because the whole image is soft. I also notice lens flare with the background light in 1B. If it's the same lens then I'd have to assume one of them is a sensor cropped or digital zoom to make it look that soft.

So Doug which one is the S5? :p
    Last edited by Peter C.; 10-14-2020 at 12:38 PM.

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter C. View Post
    So Doug which one is the S5? :p
    I don't even know what an S5 is, so you can rule that camera out entirely! :-)

10. Collapse Details
    I think I'm leaning toward A, although I'd be hard pressed to articulate why.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast