1. Collapse Details
    HDD/SDD Storage Optimization for Adobe Premiere Pro
    I'm building a new Ryzen 9 5950x systems with an x570 motherboard, so I can use 4 internal m.2 SSDs without bottleneck now. I also have plenty of bandwidth for SATA HDDs/SSDs.

With nvme m.2 ssds, wondering about optimal SSD storage setup for video editing with Adobe Premiere Pro. How is this for separating my drives out?

1. BOOT Drive + Adobe Installations (980 Pro via CPU m2 slot, ~7000mb/s max throughput)
    2. MEDIA CACHE (970 Evo via Chipset m2 slot, this drive has ~3000mb/s max throughput)
    3. PROJECT FILES (m2 SSD? or older Samsung 850 Pro SATA SSD w/~500mb/s throughput)
    4. SOURCE FOOTAGE (h.265 files temporarily on spinner HDDs)

Here are my thoughts/questions, respectively:

1. BOOT: Is it ok to store ADOBE INSTALLS on the same BOOT drive? Or should I have the program installs on a separate drive and not the boot?

2. MEDIA CACHE: I could considering upgrading the Media Cache SSD to a 980 Pro if the 7000mb/s speeds would help? This would then give me a spare 970 Evo to use for project files, if that would help?

3. PROJECT FILES: Do these even benefit being on (A) a separate dedicated drive and (B) an SSD vs a physical HDD? Could they be on the same media cache drive, boot drive, or otherwise? Would they be ok on an older SATA SSD, or should I have them on an m.2 SSD ideally?

4. SOURCE FOOTAGE: I am looking at (very soon) moving my edit source files to either a QNAP 8-bay RAID6 setup via 10g LAN or a USB 3.2 enclosure... *AND/OR* picking up an 8TB QLC m2 SSD for my primary active projects. I am waiting to see how well the new NVDEC gpu acceleration works on Adobe for 4K h.265 with a new RTX 3080 + 5950x system. If I can edit h.265 files ok, I may favor the QLC 8tb SSD since I won't need as much space. If I still need to transcode, then I'd favor the larger RAID6 setup with a ton of storage space for the large ProRes files.

Is there anything else I should know about how to allocate my drives (i.e. commonly used assets and music on their own dedicated drive? etc.), or about what drive speed is actually beneficial for any of these (i.e. does an m.2 ssd VS sata ssd not matter for some of these? Does the new pcie4.0 7000mb/s throughput make any actual difference vs last gen @ 3000mb/s?)

Thanks for the help in best practice here, especially with this new wave of SSD technology.

2. Collapse Details
    I'm still editing PRORES HQ off budget USB 3.0 drives, no problem. It can even stream at 4k up to 30p without a hiccup. If you can afford SSD's, then have at it, kind of overkill for me as the bulk of my work is still 24p 1080p ProresHQ. Not sure what you are primarily editing but I'd say USB 3.0 could handle any one camera project just fine without any offline encodes. Once you get into Multicam, or anything above 4k 30p is where you'll need RAID's and SSD's. Also if you have high pressure time sensitive render scenarios any extra bit of speed obviously helps, but that's more processor / GPU dependant, not so much drive speed. I had a couple bad experiences with RAID's so I don't mess with them anymore. Drives are so cheap I just bought several platter drives and schedule redundant nightly backups with Super Duper.
    "Money doesn't make films...You just do it and take the initiative." - Werner Herzog

3. Collapse Details
    Hey! Hope you are well!

I definitely need more disk throughput than Batutta's use case scenarios because of multicam and large projects where accessing all of the data spread across the drive is not cutting it with usb3, but some of the specs that you are mentioning as far as disk throughput... you are likely never going to come even close to stressing because the cpu will bottleneck much sooner, even with prores and other edit friendly codecs.

All that said (and I'm definitely no expert here),here are a few thoughts:

1. I've never heard of having the applications (adobe in this case) on a separate drive from the boot OS. I'm not sure that's even possible, but in any case I don't see a reason to do it.

2. Media Caches/scratch on a dedicated and very fast drive is recommended for sure. I have a m.2 drive for this.

3. I keep my project file with my source media for each particular project. I've always done this. Not sure if there are performance benefits to doing it otherwise. I've certainly never heard of there being a big benefit to splitting that part out. I've never liked the organization mess of having it separated. That said, I'm running a QNAP Nas with about 1000 mb/s, so I don't think that this will ever be my bottleneck. Again, I notice CPU farting out first...and that's with a 7900x, which is by no means the best of the best, but it's also no slouch.

4. As you know, I have a qnap. BTW, my qnap just want down and is being warranty repaired. Wasn't expecting that and very annoying. Probably the power supply. I'm dealing with pretty big projects these days, one of them has 13TB of footage, and have ongoing clients where I need to revisit their material from time to time. I don't keep everything on my QNAP, but I could not live with 8TB as a Working drive. Of course, your needs might be different, and NAS has its drawbacks: energy use, more complex and thus things can go south, etc. I do love the speed, the storage space, and that I can setup FTP style file shares for clients, and have them upload to folders, etc.

Regarding your last question, as mentioned I'm not sure that you are going to appreciate those kinds of speeds (7000mb/s) since the type of situation that requires that will not fly well with even the best cpu's. Once you get up to about 800mb/s, I'd way rather have more storage space over raw speed. However, that's just my very unscientific take on the matter.
    Last edited by ozmorphasis; 10-19-2020 at 02:13 PM.

4. Collapse Details
    Thanks you two! Appreciate the input.

Oz, I'm with you on needing a bit more bandwidth than batista. And at the same time, you are correct about 7000mb/s being unnecessary for video editing, even working with 8K multicam.

Your experience with your QNAP has been exactly my fear - just what I need, one more failure point and complex IT thing to manage! With the rate tech is moving, I'm really drawn to the idea of USB 3.2 external NVME SSDs if I can get by with less storage space. Yes, it would be a bottleneck at 10gb/s 1250mb/s max - but it's still faster than a QNAP - just smaller. But as prices drop, I feel like a handful of external NVME SSD enclosures might avoid the hassle and complexity of a QNAP. They make dual enclosure external NVME drives, so as of today you could get 16TB of SSD storage, formatted as one logical drive, with a 1250mb/s throughput, external solid state pocket sized. Spendy, but it seems within 12 months prices will continue to fall and so I'm wondering about holding out for this type of solution instead.

As well, USB 3.2 2x2 (they have the WORST naming) allows for 20gbps (2500mb/s) throughput, but its still very hard to find systems with ports for this. But it is around the corner, as is USB4 with 40gbps (5000mb/s throughput).

To keep this anywhere remotely budget friendly it would rely on the ability to edit from h.265 files with sheer horsepower, so, I guess one will just have to wait and see.

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by filmguy123 View Post

4. SOURCE FOOTAGE: I am looking at (very soon) moving my edit source files to either a QNAP 8-bay RAID6 setup via 10g LAN or a USB 3.2 enclosure... *AND/OR* picking up an 8TB QLC m2 SSD for my primary active projects. I am waiting to see how well the new NVDEC gpu acceleration works on Adobe for 4K h.265 with a new RTX 3080 + 5950x system. If I can edit h.265 files ok, I may favor the QLC 8tb SSD since I won't need as much space. If I still need to transcode, then I'd favor the larger RAID6 setup with a ton of storage space for the large ProRes files.
    Mechanical hard drives in a RAID setups are inexpensive and offer great performance. H.264 does not require that much disk speed. That being said an 8 bay RAID will hit a bottle neck with USB 3.2 Gen 1 and USB 3.2 Gen 2 might also hit a bottle neck. You could play two layers of 4K Pro Res with USB 3.2 Gen 1 but not two layers of 6K or 8K Pro Res. The Blackmagic RAW 12K camera can use 500 Megabytes per second. USB 3.2 gen 1 can work with some video codecs but Thunderbolt might be a better option to handle larger video files in the future. If you want to see the read write speeds of 5 Seagate Barracuda hard drives in RAID 0 you can click the video link below.

https://youtu.be/hfT9ivfbJ98