Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

2. Collapse Details
    Funny that some people worry about the radiation in some of those vintage lenses, but will spend 8hrs a day on an iPhone.

Now that they are getting so close to hi-fi quality, or rather, pretty much there, from the look of it, I have less of a reason to be away from my phone for any reason.

3. Collapse Details
    Some predictions. It probably won't be long before the non-Apple smartphone manufacturers start collaborating with Sony, Canon, Panasonic, maybe even Red. You'll buy the new Samsung Galaxy with the Canon X camera. Or maybe the camera companies go full smartphone. This could be the road forward for them, even though they might still release a dedicated photo/video camera every few years. But their main revenue will be from phone tech. And then everything will go to smart glasses. Operating a camera and getting a pristine high-resolution, stabilized, tone-mapped, lidar-focused image will be as simple looking at a subject and following it with your eyes. Dedicated camera operators will be a thing of the past for the most part. Producers and directors will probably still be very much in demand. Editing will be largely algorithmic. Those who insist on shooting with their trusty old digital cinema cameras will be viewed much like the S35 and S16 filmmakers are nowadays -- "That's so cool, if only I had the patience."
    Last edited by QuickHitRecord; 10-14-2020 at 12:40 AM.

4. Collapse Details
    So how much longer before we see this technology in a professional camera body? What we are seeing in these phones will translate to the professional world eventually. I personally can't wait for that camera to materialize.

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Loblaw View Post
    So how much longer before we see this technology in a professional camera body? What we are seeing in these phones will translate to the professional world eventually. I personally can't wait for that camera to materialize.
    This is the outrage - the blogelratti get excited with the FX9 - some hopeless old lump that got given 2004 autofocus (lucky us) wich switches off the very time you need it (muzzy HD HFR)

I want my cinema camera to have 3 or 4 lenses working on depth and getting me a backup go pro vision rolling all the time. Acceleration data and all the rest. Controllable from my chair and internet connection without a lag.

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by QuickHitRecord View Post
    Some predictions. It probably won't be long before the non-Apple smartphone manufacturers start collaborating with Sony, Canon, Panasonic, maybe even Red...
    They don't need to. If they want to do it, they can easily do it themselves. If they don't want to do it - due to the very small size of the pro market - they'll let it wither on its own vine.

PS. i12 cameras still lack the resolution of the other major manufacturers top models and its optical zoom is not quite up to par either. But it's probably going to be good enough for the vast majority of users.

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by QuickHitRecord View Post
    If in the next 5-10 years these phones have full frame (optical or computational) performance, interchangeable lenses, unfailing autofocus, gimbal-like IBIS, and ProRes Raw (or something similar), and every kid grows up learning how to use it for TikTok, then I shudder to think about how difficult it will be to make a living as a freelancing camera person.
    The world will always need editors, I hope. The ubiquity of Microsoft Word doesn't mean that everyone can be a writer, for example.

8. Collapse Details
    This is the full version of Chivo's iPhone 12 promo video with an extra 2 and half minutes of footage:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3m07zMRXXP0

9. Collapse Details
    The world needs people with something to say.

On a professional level of one is primarily a camera engineer this is sort of the apocalypse. I’ve enjoyed the days of being able to charge premiums for access to high production values, but those days are numbered.

On a creative level, it’s the golden age. Now, if we can just find a way to make things that matter with this gear and still have the time and resources to do so... hmm

10. Collapse Details
    I think it's hilarious they mounted the iPhone in that video on a Freefly Alta. That seems a little overkill.
    JERBCO, Ltd.
    jerbco.com

Web | Video | Aerial

Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast