Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast
Results 111 to 120 of 174
  1. Collapse Details
    Senior Member ahalpert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    2,817
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by Run&Gun View Post
    I didn't order a 12 Pro. I had it sitting there a few times on Best Buy's site and went ahead and found the case I like on Amazon(new version of what I have on my 11 Pro), but didn't pull the trigger on either. I normally pre-order the new iPhones, but I'm gonna wait and see what the initial real world reviews are like. I loved my X and still love my 11 Pro, but I'm not getting the "Wow" vibe off of the 12 Pro, yet. And 5G has VERY limited availability and coverage right now, so I doubt I would see any benefits from that in the near term.
    Do you get the wow vibe from your current phone? Are you saying the new ones are worse or just that they haven't improved?


    Reply With Quote
     

  2. Collapse Details
    Senior Member James0b57's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    6,120
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by NorBro View Post
    ha, I double-post (then delete) probably 99 out of every 100 posts because I type 140 WPM and sometimes I have typos/grammatical errors and it's too late to change anything before the "Last edited by..." notice, which I think is obnoxious (but necessary).
    Haha! 140wpm is impressive! I get close to 10wpm, and I still have typos. And yeah, that yellow edited note at the bottom is ugly, bothers me too. but have had to get used to it. lol.


    Reply With Quote
     

  3. Collapse Details
    Senior Member James0b57's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    6,120
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by Run&Gun View Post
    I didn't order a 12 Pro. I had it sitting there a few times on Best Buy's site and went ahead and found the case I like on Amazon(new version of what I have on my 11 Pro), but didn't pull the trigger on either. I normally pre-order the new iPhones, but I'm gonna wait and see what the initial real world reviews are like. I loved my X and still love my 11 Pro, but I'm not getting the "Wow" vibe off of the 12 Pro, yet. And 5G has VERY limited availability and coverage right now, so I doubt I would see any benefits from that in the near term.
    It feels like the iPhone cycle gets faster every year. haha. but I guess that is just me getting older.


    Reply With Quote
     

  4. Collapse Details
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    8,762
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by ahalpert View Post
    Let me get this straight - you think people will crowdsource wedding videos from what their guests cobble together? Meaning they'll be telling their guests to film during the ceremony instead of to put away their phones? And nobody will be recording a feed from close mics? Aside from the particular set-ups that photographers and videographers arrange during the rest of the day?

    People are already doing this with twitter or instagram hashtags. and it does not replace proper documentation. I do not think you're being realistic
    Well, it's easy to pick the one moment in a church where that could be frowned upon but it doesn't change the overall point.

    It was just a random example; there are dozens of way things can change in the future that will change what proper documentation is.

    That's what I'm trying to get you/anyone to think about and open that noggin up a little bit.

    Proper documentation of a wedding in 1980 was one videographer with a 30 pound camera on his/her shoulder with a light running off a battery pack around the waist.


    1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
    Reply With Quote
     

  5. Collapse Details
    Senior Member ahalpert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    2,817
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by NorBro View Post
    Well, it's easy to pick the one moment in a church where that could be frowned upon but it doesn't change the overall point.

    It was just a random example; there are dozens of way things can change in the future that will change what proper documentation is.

    That's what I'm trying to get you/anyone to think about and open that noggin up a little bit.

    Proper documentation of a wedding in 1980 was one videographer with a 30 pound camera on his/her shoulder with a light running off a belt pack. Maybe two if you were wealthy.
    People don't ask them to put away their phones to respect the church. They ask them to do it so they'll be present in an unmediated social moment. 75%+ of the weddings I shoot are not in churches.

    What would have to change would be customer demand. They would need to require a different style video or no produced video at all. That could easily happen irrespective of technological changes.

    The point is that amateurs with iPhones - especially if they're not even dedicated to filming the event - cannot reproduce the shot styles and selections no matter how easy the camera makes it to focus, expose, and stabilize


    Reply With Quote
     

  6. Collapse Details
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    8,762
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by ahalpert View Post
    The point is that amateurs with iPhones - especially if they're not even dedicated to filming the event - cannot reproduce the shot styles and selections no matter how easy the camera makes it to focus, expose, and stabilize
    Only in your world because you think it's a difficult task (or somehow can't be learned or improved upon).


    Reply With Quote
     

  7. Collapse Details
    Senior Member Run&Gun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    4,938
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by ahalpert View Post
    Do you get the wow vibe from your current phone? Are you saying the new ones are worse or just that they haven't improved?
    Yes, I thought the 11 Pro was pretty impressive and that's why I got it(pre-ordered), even though the X was already pretty darn good. I'm not saying the 12 Pro will be worse by any stretch, but I don't think(without seeing it or seeing real world reviews) that it is as big of an improvement over the 11 Pro, as the 11 Pro was over the X. Yes, the lidar is cool, and it may give big benefits, but most of the rest of the phone, so far, just seems evolutionary. But I may be wrong and if so, I'll get one and not have a problem admitting I underestimated it initially.


    Reply With Quote
     

  8. Collapse Details
    Senior Member ahalpert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    2,817
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by NorBro View Post
    Only in your world because you think it's a difficult task (or somehow can't be learned or improved upon).
    ???

    It can be both learned and improved upon. I learned it. And in some ways am improving on the idiom.

    But cousin Ray is not going to show up with his fancy new iPhone and know how to move a camera, what shots the edit requires, the pitfalls of covering a ceremony and reception... he might feel awkward and uncertain inserting himself in the necessary but socially awkward places required to stand. and hes probably going to want to get drunk.

    I'm really not sure what you're saying here. That they'll be able to find a fresh college grad with an iPhone to do it for a pittance? Experience counts, bro. What is your bread and butter, by the way? Conferences? You have an odd take. Have you ever filmed a wedding?


    Reply With Quote
     

  9. Collapse Details
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    8,762
    Default
    All I'm saying is open up your noggin...that's all.

    Don't use current expectations and formulas and technology to predict what the future could be like (which you appear to do a lot based off random "realizations") without also envisioning other possibilities.

    And I filmed dozens when I was younger. Very simple work if you have any sort of integrity at all.


    1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
    Reply With Quote
     

  10. Collapse Details
    Senior Member ahalpert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    2,817
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by NorBro View Post
    All I'm saying is open up your noggin...that's all.

    Don't use current expectations and formulas and technology to predict what the future could be like (which you appear to do a lot based off random "realizations") without also envisioning other possibilities.

    And I filmed dozens when I was younger. Very simple work if you have any sort of integrity at all.
    ...ok.

    All I'm saying is that buying an iPhone will not magically allow a person to shoot a wedding video like the iPhone video you showed. iPhone advances can solve issues of exposure, focus, framing, stability, and possibility sensitivity. If not knowing how to do those things properly is all that stands in the way of getting the shot, then an iPhone could enable an amateur or a producer or a PA to get the shot. But if you are called upon to create a shot instead of simply documenting something, it's another matter.


    Reply With Quote
     

Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •