Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    I shot a wedding yesterday and noticed how both the photographer and I were buzzing around the ceremony, using multiple cameras to cover it from a variety of angles, and I realized that the iPhone will never have a meaningful impact on shooting weddings. Even if it got so good that we were both using iPhones instead, they would still need experienced shooters because you can't reposition the camera in post even if you could reframe, refocus etc.

Plus, when you're spending tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars creating a spectacle, it makes no sense to skimp on its documentation. Just like in narrative film and TV.

I think talking heads is the type of shooting most vulnerable to iPhone replacement because the basic need - a steady, focused, exposed shot of a person - could be handled by an amateur with a really good iPhone with minimal direction. It wont be as good but it will be good enough. And even then there are still documentaries and such with a higher aesthetic bar that will shoot proper interviews with consistent lightings.

So, the bad news is that a lot of talking heads shooting will go away. The good news is that much of that shift has already transpired. I have some clients who shoot a steady stream of web content on their webcams and only call me in for something nice. I've directed remote iPhone interview shoots over Facetime and edited the footage after receiving it through the cloud. You have TV news guests piping in via webcam. I dont think that iPhones are going to make as much further of an impact as some people think, and that's even before discussing the inherent sensitivity advantages of larger sensors and fast lenses.

Additionally - I read a lot of chatter online about how the broader public is underwhelmed by the latest iPhone releases. So, it's possible that Apple will have a diminishing incentive to continue amping up the imaging power.
    Last edited by ahalpert; 10-19-2020 at 10:21 AM.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by ahalpert View Post
    Additionally - I read a lot of chatter online about how the broader public is underwhelmed by the latest iPhone releases. So, it's possible that Apple will have a diminishing incentive to continue amping up the imaging power.

Don't know. This is early days, and it looks like the info in this article comes from one analyst (who apparently has a good track record), but here's a CNBC article:

Apple’s first-day preorders for iPhone 12 surpassed the iPhone 11, top analyst says

I for one, already ordered an iPhone 12 Pro. But I did because I want 5G... The newer/better camera didn't drive my purchase decision... I'd guess that's the same for most people: A nice camera will be fun, but the cameras in the last few generations of smartphones have been fine for snapshots and home video.... but 5G, that will occasionally be helpful.

But maybe I'm misreading you or haven't been paying attention. What do you mean about the broader public being underwhelmed?

And as for talking-head video, as I mentioned earlier in this string, services/apps like OpenReel are pretty interesting and I think you're right, they will take away some more talking-head work. A friend worked with footage acquired through OpenReel on a recent 2nd-tier awards show (ie- a real awards show with a good budget, but not the Emmys). He said: Not perfect, but considering covid, etc the results were pretty decent.

"Patented tech lets you capture and direct video remotely. Replace user generated or low quality streaming audio & video with HD footage."
    https://www.openreel.com
    Last edited by Jim Feeley; 10-19-2020 at 11:54 AM.
    ----------
    Jim Feeley
    POV Media

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Feeley View Post
    . What do you mean about the broader public being underwhelmed?

]
    I've just read posts and tweets indicating that people dont realize how much firepower is being added under the hood. They focus on lenses and number of cameras, some basic specs. Maybe it doesn't matter because if they can start relighting and refocusing images, they will quickly grasp the power.

I'm sure the phone will sell like hot cakes. But it may not make sense to eventually keep adding features that only professional photographers would appreciate. Or I could be wrong.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

4. Collapse Details
    The transition to full-time phone filmmaking will take time.

But once Apple/Google/Samsung or anyone else offers better IQ and shallow DOF, 99% of mirrorless cameras are finished overnight.

Seriously, if the results are the same or close enough, what is the point of anyone using other cameras besides the 1%? (for various reasons)

Would anyone here really consider another camera if they can get R5/a7SIII quality on their phones?

That's the whole point. And if it doesn't come then nothing changes. But if it does, it's over.

___

I searched "iPhone Wedding' on YouTube and the following was a top result. Now picture this with non-GoPro looking IQ and shallow DOF with a nice zoom lens and you literally cannot get one of these future devices soon enough.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9XIMwjnjbFc&t

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by NorBro View Post
    I searched "iPhone Wedding' on YouTube and the following was a top result. Now picture this with non-GoPro looking IQ and shallow DOF with a nice zoom lens and you literally cannot get one of these future devices soon enough.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9XIMwjnjbFc&t
    The point is not that you can't shoot a wedding with an iPhone. The point is that you still need a good operator, hence I will still get hired. What makes that video good is the operation and composition and conceptualization.

But there were no low-light samples in that. If you can't shoot ISO 12800 f/1.4 equivalent exposure, you can't shoot the dim scenes without lighting them and altering the mood. I dont think that small sensor small lens cameras will achieve parity.

And part of the equation is relative cost. If it costs you $1500 for a basic iPhone package but $4000 for the equivalent mirrorless camera/lens package (at which point you still need rigs and support and audio, etc), you may not be saving that much money. If you can get a better product with the real camera, you will still buy the real camera.
    Last edited by ahalpert; 10-19-2020 at 01:44 PM.

6. Collapse Details
    When software included on every device you own optimizes your clips (for better or for worse...but mostly better), it won't matter.

Or maybe event filming changes. Maybe in the future joining a cloud in an area will become as normal as muting your phone, and people will be able to grab clips of your wedding and the clips will automatically be uploaded to an AI editing service which produces a highlights video as the day goes on.

You have to think about the future as a technological intellectual; not as a fearful 2020 videographer thinking everyone's a grandma or grandpa from 1950 who won't be able to learn basic operating skills.

Think about Generation Z whom are born with phones in their hands and are creating applications and services and websites and are beyond technically inclined than any other humans before.

As far as low-light...it's of little concern for most. It will be solve one way or another. Better NR or even AI noise replacement.

7. Collapse Details
    Norbro, double posting the same post... proof he is AI, or a time traveler that can exist in two times or places simultaneously?
    Screen Shot 2020-10-19 at 12.28.38 PM.jpg

3 out of 3 members found this post helpful.

8. Collapse Details
    ha, I double-post (then delete) probably 99 out of every 100 posts because I type 140 WPM and sometimes I have typos/grammatical errors and it's too late to change anything before the "Last edited by..." notice, which I think is obnoxious (but necessary).

9. Collapse Details
    I didn't order a 12 Pro. I had it sitting there a few times on Best Buy's site and went ahead and found the case I like on Amazon(new version of what I have on my 11 Pro), but didn't pull the trigger on either. I normally pre-order the new iPhones, but I'm gonna wait and see what the initial real world reviews are like. I loved my X and still love my 11 Pro, but I'm not getting the "Wow" vibe off of the 12 Pro, yet. And 5G has VERY limited availability and coverage right now, so I doubt I would see any benefits from that in the near term.

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by NorBro View Post
    When software included on every device you own optimizes your clips (for better or for worse...but mostly better), it won't matter.

Or maybe event filming changes. Maybe in the future joining a cloud in an area will become as normal as muting your phone, and people will be able to grab clips of your wedding and the clips will automatically be uploaded to an AI editing service which produces a highlights video as the day goes on.

You have to think about the future as a technological intellectual; not as a fearful 2020 videographer thinking everyone's a grandma or grandpa from 1950 who won't be able to learn basic operating skills.

Think about Generation Z whom are born with phones in their hands and are creating applications and services and websites and are beyond technically inclined than any other humans before.

As far as low-light...it's of little concern for most. It will be solve one way or another. Better NR or even AI noise replacement.
    Let me get this straight - you think people will crowdsource wedding videos from what their guests cobble together? Meaning they'll be telling their guests to film during the ceremony instead of to put away their phones? And nobody will be recording a feed from close mics? Aside from the particular set-ups that photographers and videographers arrange during the rest of the day?

People are already doing this with twitter or instagram hashtags. and it does not replace proper documentation. I do not think you're being realistic

Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast