Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Apple the iPhone 12 Pro Max with ProRAW photos, LiDar and Dolby HDR
    I guess it's time to update my phone.

https://www.macrumors.com/2020/10/13...0-apple-event/

2. Collapse Details
    We should definitely see extremely high-end ProRes RAW video phones in the future.

Many old-timers used to say we're so lucky with all of the options we have today (2010-ish --> 2020).

Well, I'm saying now these future individuals will be so lucky to have such high quality in phones with who knows what kind of post flexibility.

3. Collapse Details
    The ability to hold dynamic range in these phones is beginning to get amazing.

4. Collapse Details
    I guess that LiDAR tech is Sony's and Apple is using it to improve their AF in low-light.

There must be a connection here with Sony's AF performance as well.

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by James0b57 View Post
    The ability to hold dynamic range in these phones is beginning to get amazing.
    The computational photography is beginning to be ridiculous. We were shooting some interviews a few weeks ago and just could not get it to balance out with the windows, mid-ground and subjects, but my damn iPhone 11Pro balanced it all perfectly. Actually a tad too perfectly, but the fact that my ~$1K cell phone could nail the exposure balance the ~$30K F55 couldn't is crazy.

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

6. Collapse Details
    Yeah, I get directors taking reference photos with their phones, and then needing to do a lot of lighting to get those levels. haha.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by James0b57 View Post
    Yeah, I get directors taking reference photos with their phones, and then needing to do a lot of lighting to get those levels. haha.
    But then people try to shoot the orange smoke sky over SF and the phone fixes it. All that in-camera color correction... but most of the time, its what you want anyway. I think these phones are going to wipe out some of the low-grade work and become a useful documentary tool. certainly, the first thing I ask if a client says they want to remotely self-shoot an interview is, "do they have an iphone?"

FilmicPro claimed 12 stops DR for the previous model.

Can you link to the clip with DR that impressed you?

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by ahalpert View Post
    But then people try to shoot the orange smoke sky over SF and the phone fixes it. All that in-camera color correction... but most of the time, its what you want anyway. I think these phones are going to wipe out some of the low-grade work and become a useful documentary tool. certainly, the first thing I ask if a client says they want to remotely self-shoot an interview is, "do they have an iphone?"

FilmicPro claimed 12 stops DR for the previous model.

Can you link to the clip with DR that impressed you?
    most of the impressive DR is from an automated HDR like process. Not sure that filmic pro does that. I stopped using filmic pro a long time ago, as if I wanted old school, I'd just get a cinema camera.

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Run&Gun View Post
    The computational photography is beginning to be ridiculous. We were shooting some interviews a few weeks ago and just could not get it to balance out with the windows, mid-ground and subjects, but my damn iPhone 11Pro balanced it all perfectly. Actually a tad too perfectly, but the fact that my ~$1K cell phone could nail the exposure balance the ~$30K F55 couldn't is crazy.
    In just a few years producers saying "I want it to look like it was shot on a cell phone" may have a completely different meaning.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by NorBro View Post
    We should definitely see extremely high-end ProRes RAW video phones in the future.

Many old-timers used to say we're so lucky with all of the options we have today (2010-ish --> 2020).

Well, I'm saying now these future individuals will be so lucky to have such high quality in phones with who knows what kind of post flexibility.
    I wonder what Apple plan is for ProRes RAW on mobile devices? Will they pay RED a licensing fee or maybe try to buy the whole company?

In the former case to limit licensing fees they could limit ProRes RAW to top end models that replace the iPhone Pro Max.

Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast