Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by ahalpert View Post
    I agree with you puredrifting, but if you're still buying xt3s then doesn't that indicate that cameras aren't outdated THAT quickly?

$250 is a nice rate to fetch for an xt3 - that's where I think the iphone will really make its impact. You ask the client for 250/camera and they say that their last guy gave them 3 iphones for 250 total and it looked great. And it could look great, assuming you dont need servo zoom capabilities and you can deal with usb-c (which I'm assuming it will eventually have) to wherever you need to go
    I guess it depends on your definition of outdated. The X-T3 IS outdated, there is the X-T4. But for my use case, live streaming with mostly tripod and or motion control slider shots, the X-T3 looks identical to the X-T4. So technically outdated but then again, so are my C200 and C300 MKII.
    I don't care at all and both will continue to make me $$ for the foreseeable future just like your FS7 will continue to make you money for a long while. Notice how for our project, I specifically didn't want your new A7 SIII? Wrong tool for the job, even though it's new and probably actually
    has a better picture than your FS7. But wrong form factor for prompter, no XLRs, no SDI output although since we are remote, we'll probably be using the HDMI UTAPs. We use SDI live when our system is on site.

What you wrote is possible with the iPhones, of course, but we are pushing our business up and away from bottom feeders anyway. People now are hiring us off of our body of work, not on gear and we are MUCH higher priced than
    our live streaming competition. We're nipping at the heels of the big live streaming companies who do the $50k to $250k live stream huge events with mobile trucks. We're not there yet but we have more than tripled our average
    invoice this year because the opportunity is there. As you'll see, live streaming is far less about cameras, more about lighting, staging, webcast engineering and capability. Nobody is hiring us because of our cameras, it's def our rep
    and skills. We have a lot of cameras, 15 between me and my live stream partner and nobody cares much, they care about how we integrate their giving platform into their stream and if they can successfully build their audience.
    It's a business first and a creative outlet second.
    G.A.S. destroys lives. Stop buying gear that doesn't make you money.

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by ahalpert View Post
    $250 is a nice rate to fetch for an xt3 - that's where I think the iphone will really make its impact. You ask the client for 250/camera and they say that their last guy gave them 3 iphones for 250 total and it looked great. And it could look great, assuming you dont need servo zoom capabilities and you can deal with usb-c (which I'm assuming it will eventually have) to wherever you need to go
    Reminds me of a theoretical story where a producer asked me if my Amira had FarmVille on it. I said no. He said, "Thank goodness. My last cellphone DP spent half the shoot on FarmVille."

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Coughlin View Post
    Reminds me of a theoretical story where a producer asked me if my Amira had FarmVille on it. I said no. He said, "Thank goodness. My last cellphone DP spent half the shoot on FarmVille."
    Not bad Eric, not bad.
    It's a business first and a creative outlet second.
    G.A.S. destroys lives. Stop buying gear that doesn't make you money.

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by puredrifting View Post
    I guess it depends on your definition of outdated. The X-T3 IS outdated, there is the X-T4. But for my use case, live streaming with mostly tripod and or motion control slider shots, the X-T3 looks identical to the X-T4. So technically outdated but then again, so are my C200 and C300 MKII.
    I don't care at all and both will continue to make me $$ for the foreseeable future just like your FS7 will continue to make you money for a long while. Notice how for our project, I specifically didn't want your new A7 SIII? Wrong tool for the job, even though it's new and probably actually
    has a better picture than your FS7. But wrong form factor for prompter, no XLRs, no SDI output although since we are remote, we'll probably be using the HDMI UTAPs. We use SDI live when our system is on site.

What you wrote is possible with the iPhones, of course, but we are pushing our business up and away from bottom feeders anyway. People now are hiring us off of our body of work, not on gear and we are MUCH higher priced than
    our live streaming competition. We're nipping at the heels of the big live streaming companies who do the $50k to $250k live stream huge events with mobile trucks. We're not there yet but we have more than tripled our average
    invoice this year because the opportunity is there. As you'll see, live streaming is far less about cameras, more about lighting, staging, webcast engineering and capability. Nobody is hiring us because of our cameras, it's def our rep
    and skills. We have a lot of cameras, 15 between me and my live stream partner and nobody cares much, they care about how we integrate their giving platform into their stream and if they can successfully build their audience.
    Yeah I think iPhones will always be a low end thing. (But maybe you'll find specific reasons to want them. Maybe some unique feature. Maybe you'll negotiate a package rate one day on a job you need to rent cameras for and in order to maintain your profit margin you decide to rent iPhones instead of c200s or something. Maybe you need to do a 20-camera shoot.)

But some of my clients own cameras so they can have staffers shoot or stiff willing freelancers on kit fees. For example, Christie's owns an FS7 and a7s2. Vmly&r (corporate) owns a bunch of GH5 cameras (I hate it that I cant write GH5s because of the gh5s.) So, I imagine that some outfits could start buying iPhones and use them similarly. C300/fs7 have lots of features/connections an iPhone doesn't. Xt3 less so.

This doesn't look like a phone to me (but I think the operator will always count):

L
    Last edited by ahalpert; 10-23-2020 at 08:44 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123