Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    This is a great post, Chris! And frankly, a very honest one as well.
    Each time some new & shiny camera gets dangled in front of me (I was seriously considering "upgrading" my FS7 for the 300mkIII for about 2 weeks)... I have to stop and ask myself - what request from what client did I get in the recent past that I was unable to deliver - that this new thing will help me achieve. Or what feature / spec on this thing will be better (to make me faster, easier shoots, better workflow, better ergo, etc.). And then I sit back & wait for the next announcement to do it all over again...

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

2. Collapse Details
    I actually haven't shot a job since the R5 came out because now everyone only wants 8K but all I can afford are 4K cameras! (jk)

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by puredrifting View Post
    I'm not answering for Chris but didn't his two C200s get stolen and he used the insurance to replace with the C300 MKIII?
    Correctomundo.

Most of my purchases these days fall into two categories:

1. Would owning this gear help me get hired on jobs that are the next level up for me?
    (and by that I mean I could work on a DSLR or mirrorless for most of my clients, but if an opportunity arrises for me to hop on a bigger production shooting on cinema cameras am I going to be confident and comfortable sliding right into that workflow? so it's less about my exact gear and more about trying to work in a way that larger shoots work - heavier cameras, easyrig, monitors, wireless systems, syncing timecode, filtration, etc.)

2. Would owning this gear make my day to day easier?
    (internal recording specs and the autofocus of C300MKIII ticks those boxes)

3. (bonus category) Does this gear have specs/features that would elevate a passion project of mine?
    (raw if I want highest quality possible, high frame rates of C300MKIII tick those boxes)
    Director | Making Lemonade: Our Covid 19 Story
    (warning: this film contains 0% politics, 0% conspiracies, & 100% optimism)

4. Collapse Details
    I also think that even I'd the C300III is overkill, it's still a fine investment if you use it for 5 years. And all the while, you have upped the quality of your output (by better camera design as well as sensor/specs, if only marginally). If you're losing money on an excess investment, you're certainly not losing a lot.

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by chris f View Post

2. Would owning this gear make my day to day easier?
    (internal recording specs and the autofocus of C300MKIII ticks those boxes)
    a big fat check on those boxes from me.

I received one of the first C300iii in Germany. Off course I was thinking if there was the need in this unsecure times. Looking back I had to check when I received the camera. It was 21st of June. I had the impression it was much longer than 4 months. I shot interviews, testimonials, virtual events, product presentations, more work than I expected. It's my 1st Canon cinema camera and it feels very much familiar. The AF made my life so much easier and gave me more options, so did 4K100p (in PAL). I didn't regret it for a second, even not when the C70 was presented.

6. Collapse Details
    When I bought my C200s I knew they were going to be a transitional cam cause the internal codec was so weak (and no way to jam timecode), but with the C300MKIII I really feel like I'm not going to need or want another camera maybe ever. By the time the camera is "obsolete" I'll hopefully be at a place where I'm just directing or I'm renting cameras on a per-project basis.

Anything outside of adding GoPro Hypersmooth type of image stabilization inside of a cinema body, I can't really think of a feature that would cause me to purchase another camera (outside of maybe adding something like a C70 or something as a B-Cam)
    Director | Making Lemonade: Our Covid 19 Story
    (warning: this film contains 0% politics, 0% conspiracies, & 100% optimism)

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by chris f View Post
    ...Anything outside of adding GoPro Hypersmooth type of image stabilization inside of a cinema body, I can't really think of a feature that would cause me to purchase another camera (outside of maybe adding something like a C70 or something as a B-Cam)

Give it a year or so. It's the manufacturers job to make us want what we don't need and they are really good at it. Did you NEED the DGO sensor? No, of course not, I saw your C200 work and you are a good cinematographer and made those cameras sing. But did Canon make you WANT the DGO sensor?
    Heck yes, they are good at marketing. Same with FF sensors, HDR, BT2020, etc. all features that very, very few of us actually NEED, as in our clients specifically ask us to shoot a FF imager camera anamorphic in BT2020. But so many of us WISH that we had clients who were DEMANDING that. But they really aren't
    for the most part. Even with me, still shooting my lowly C200 and well used C300 MKII, both cameras are capable of making fantastic images yet I still feel envy and WANT a C300 MKIII while I most assuredly don't NEED it. For live streaming, even the C200 is mostly overkill.
    It's a business first and a creative outlet second.
    G.A.S. destroys lives. Stop buying gear that doesn't make you money.

8. Collapse Details
    Give it a year or so. It's the manufacturers job to make us want what we don't need and they are really good at it. Did you NEED the DGO sensor? No, of course not, I saw your C200 work and you are a good cinematographer and made those cameras sing. But did Canon make you WANT the DGO sensor?
    Heck yes, they are good at marketing. Same with FF sensors, HDR, BT2020, etc. all features that very, very few of us actually NEED, as in our clients specifically ask us to shoot a FF imager camera anamorphic in BT2020. But so many of us WISH that we had clients who were DEMANDING that. But they really aren't
    for the most part. Even with me, still shooting my lowly C200 and well used C300 MKII, both cameras are capable of making fantastic images yet I still feel envy and WANT a C300 MKIII while I most assuredly don't NEED it. For live streaming, even the C200 is mostly overkill.
    Damn you and your tough love reality check!

Now, should I lease for 24 months or 36? ; )

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by ozmorphasis View Post
    Damn you and your tough love reality check!

Now, should I lease for 24 months or 36? ; )
    Ha, ha, you're a camera junky, just admit it.

Anyone who buys new toys and gets into profit with them QUICKLY, I have zero problem with that, it's in my signature ;-)
    It's just that so many's business is languishing in 2020 and some of them are dropping tens of thousands on new cameras they don't need and nobody is hiring them for their new cameras. That is bad business.
    I bought two new open box Fujifilm X-T3s this year. One job easily paid for both of them and now I charge $250.00 per day per camera and they are making me PROFIT! That's how you should buy a camera.
    A three year lease to buy on any camera is insanity because they are all outdated in about 6 months. Nothing worse than making payments on an outdated camera that nobody wants to hire.
    Last edited by puredrifting; 10-21-2020 at 11:07 PM.
    It's a business first and a creative outlet second.
    G.A.S. destroys lives. Stop buying gear that doesn't make you money.

10. Collapse Details
    Ha, ha, you're a camera junky, just admit it.

Anyone who buys new toys and gets into profit with them QUICKLY, I have zero problem with that, it's in my signature ;-)
    It's just that so many's business is languishing in 2020 and some of them are dropping tens of thousands on new cameras they don't need and nobody is hiring them for their new cameras. That is bad business.
    I bought two new open box Fujifilm X-T3s this year. One job easily paid for both of them and now I charge $250.00 per day per camera and they are making me PROFIT! That's how you should buy a camera.
    A three year lease to buy on any camera is insanity because they are all outdated in about 6 months. Nothing worse than making payments on an outdated camera that nobody wants to hire.
    I agree with you puredrifting, but if you're still buying xt3s then doesn't that indicate that cameras aren't outdated THAT quickly?

$250 is a nice rate to fetch for an xt3 - that's where I think the iphone will really make its impact. You ask the client for 250/camera and they say that their last guy gave them 3 iphones for 250 total and it looked great. And it could look great, assuming you dont need servo zoom capabilities and you can deal with usb-c (which I'm assuming it will eventually have) to wherever you need to go

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast