Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 24
  1. Collapse Details
    Maxing out my new C300MKIII
    #1
    Senior Member chris f's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    1,430
    Default
    Since getting my brand new camera with dream specs, these are the paid jobs I've gotten to use it on now that things are picking up:

    Live Stream
    Streaming to YouTube at 4500kbps in glorious 1080p
    Political Ad The creative called for it to look like selfie videos so I shot on my iPhone 11Pro and recorded sound from my boom mic into my C300MKIII because I don't have a sound recorder.
    Political Ad Actually got to shoot in UHD AVC, yay.
    Host to Camera Edited live via ATEM Mini Pro ISO in glorious compressed 1080 .mp4 stream
    Episode of Cable TV Series is in season 7 and they're keep the specs the same as previous seasons: 1080p.......29.97 (eek!)


    It's funny to think of the spec wars among camera manufacturers and TV makers and the max quality possible that we all drool about, and yet we could probably be doing most of our work on the C100 or the original C300 and it would be just fine.

    I love my new camera and hopefully one day I'll have a project that requires what it's capable of, ha.
    Director | Making Lemonade: Our Covid 19 Story
    (warning: this film contains 0% politics, 0% conspiracies, & 100% optimism)


    1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
    Reply With Quote
     

  2. Collapse Details
    #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    8,668
    Default
    I've learned over the years that it's usually the solo freelancers - many whom get paid relatively lower rates than they should - are mostly the ones who are always striving to provide the best for their personal clients with some of the nicest equipment while others don't and/or even more serious work ends up being produced on what many of us view as lackluster equipment.


    1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
    Reply With Quote
     

  3. Collapse Details
    #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Bristol, UK
    Posts
    10,121
    Default
    CHris when I 'got into' video more than a decade ago I had a roster of hotel clients that I was doing stills for. Those stills were regularly made from 2 frames - the int and the window ext.

    This made me a dynamic range nut for video cameras - for a reason.

    As it happens that work dried up and Im mainly happy with 400mbs from the FS7 my frustration and desire to upgrade video cameras now is the horrific ergonomics of the current batch.


    Reply With Quote
     

  4. Collapse Details
    #4
    Senior Member Grug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    4,114
    Default
    I think there's a very good reason we aren't seeing producers clamouring for FX9s/C500iis and the latest generation of large-sensor cameras, in the same way they did for the original C300, and then the FS7 after that - we're already at a point of good enough.

    For most online or broadcast work, people simply can't see any appreciable difference in the end deliverables. So they just don't really care that much any more.

    It's why I think camera choices today, should be driven more by ergonomic and functional motivations - which camera is going to make your shooting days easier to get through? Because that's the decider now, rather than any particular image quality considerations.


    Reply With Quote
     

  5. Collapse Details
    #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Bristol, UK
    Posts
    10,121
    Default
    There are situations that demand top cameras - like the hotel and the sea view - but that shot is also gonna require a pile of (time consuming) post that the prodcer needs to pay for..and producers paying is a rare thing

    90% of shoots dont need much better than 400mbs FS7 or whatever a bmp4k can deliver

    So yes its all about ergonomics HFR cashce record and other things that the new generation dont deliver any better than the gen before !

    (apart from AF which is better now)


    Reply With Quote
     

  6. Collapse Details
    #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Bristol, UK
    Posts
    10,121
    Default
    CHris why did you buy the camera. ??

    I have very good (or at least clear) reasons to want to despose of my FS7..

    -no AF
    -too heavy
    -no audio in HFR
    -HFR soft and slow
    -not much cache record
    -audio 3-4 not well used

    Ill consider other cameras that 'solve' some of these 'problems'


    Reply With Quote
     

  7. Collapse Details
    #7
    Senior Member puredrifting's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Los Angeles, Ca.
    Posts
    11,133
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by chris f View Post
    Since getting my brand new camera with dream specs, these are the paid jobs I've gotten to use it on now that things are picking up:

    Live Stream
    Streaming to YouTube at 4500kbps in glorious 1080p
    Political Ad The creative called for it to look like selfie videos so I shot on my iPhone 11Pro and recorded sound from my boom mic into my C300MKIII because I don't have a sound recorder.
    Political Ad Actually got to shoot in UHD AVC, yay.
    Host to Camera Edited live via ATEM Mini Pro ISO in glorious compressed 1080 .mp4 stream
    Episode of Cable TV Series is in season 7 and they're keep the specs the same as previous seasons: 1080p.......29.97 (eek!)


    It's funny to think of the spec wars among camera manufacturers and TV makers and the max quality possible that we all drool about, and yet we could probably be doing most of our work on the C100 or the original C300 and it would be just fine.

    I love my new camera and hopefully one day I'll have a project that requires what it's capable of, ha.
    My experience has been the same this year, even with my C200. This is what I am a constantly noticing and observing too in our business.
    So much of what is driving professional camera development is for an audience of one, the camera owner. Clients, largely, don't care about
    and most importantly, won't pay for all of the "innovation" that most of us obsess about. The sad part is, even as Covid and the Pandemic fade,
    I think we are kind of in the new normal. There is some work, a lot of it live streaming and frankly higher end cameras are not being needed or used
    as much as they were in 2019. My three Fuji X-T3s are what is working right now with the C300 MKII and C200 only used on a couple of projects this
    year.

    Will 'regular" production ever come back? Of course it will, but at what level and will budgets ever rebound? I've had to do almost twice as many jobs
    this year as in previous years, to make less money. Live streaming has no post production and as we all know, many of us make significant profit editing
    or even being a producer/production company for post. Those of us staying in the business are going to have to work that much harder, just to survive.
    It's a business first and a creative outlet second.
    G.A.S. destroys lives. Stop buying gear that doesn't make you money.


    1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
    Reply With Quote
     

  8. Collapse Details
    #8
    Senior Member puredrifting's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Los Angeles, Ca.
    Posts
    11,133
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by morgan_moore View Post
    CHris why did you buy the camera. ??

    I have very good (or at least clear) reasons to want to despose of my FS7..

    -no AF
    -too heavy
    -no audio in HFR
    -HFR soft and slow
    -not much cache record
    -audio 3-4 not well used

    Ill consider other cameras that 'solve' some of these 'problems'
    I'm not answering for Chris but didn't his two C200s get stolen and he used the insurance to replace with the C300 MKIII?
    It's a business first and a creative outlet second.
    G.A.S. destroys lives. Stop buying gear that doesn't make you money.


    Reply With Quote
     

  9. Collapse Details
    #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Bristol, UK
    Posts
    10,121
    Default
    that could be a good chance to get an xc10 and a holiday


    Reply With Quote
     

  10. Collapse Details
    #10
    Senior Member puredrifting's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Los Angeles, Ca.
    Posts
    11,133
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by morgan_moore View Post
    that could be a good chance to get an xc10 and a holiday
    The way things are going today, you're right!
    It's a business first and a creative outlet second.
    G.A.S. destroys lives. Stop buying gear that doesn't make you money.


    Reply With Quote
     

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •