1. Collapse Details
    Recommend me a great PTZ
    I'm designing a remote studio. One of the requirements is a good quality UHD camera. I'm struggling to find a solution using a cine camera whereby the pan, zoom and focus can be controlled remotely via network from a different site. Which leads me to PTZ cameras as being a simple all in one solution. I'm using the Panasonic AW-UE150 at a different site and while the specs are good I'm still a little disappointed by the image. I find the low light performance lacking even with the 1 inch sensor, focus is tricky to dial in on mid to wide shots, and fine detail has serious moiré issues. Otherwise it's a rock solid camera.

Is anyone familiar with a solid performing PTZ that meets these requirements? I note Birddog have a P4K camera on the market but I haven't had any luck getting samples out of them. Or alternatively is there a remote controllable cine option that doesn't cost the earth? I could throw about USD$10k at a solution.

Cheers

2. Collapse Details
    If that $10K UE150 doesn't look great, I'm not sure you'll find many PTZ cameras that are any better.

If you don't receive any worthy recommendations, maybe check out Z CAMs which have Ethernet (most of them) to control them via their software. You can control exposure, focus and zoom (very few options available), and most of the functions in the menus.

You'd just have to find something that can pan and tilt the camera via a network.

The appeal here would be larger sensors better in low-light with superior quality.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by NorBro View Post
    If you don't receive any worthy recommendations, maybe check out Z CAMs which have Ethernet (most of them) to control them via their software. You can control exposure, focus and zoom (very few options available), and most of the functions in the menus.
    That's interesting. I assume the Z CAM focus and zoom control is limited to a few 'kit' level lenses, like in the Blackmagic Studio cameras?

4. Collapse Details
    As far as focus, many electronic lenses can be focused, but indeed there are only a few cheap kit lenses that have the power zoom control function, IRC. (Do double check this if you were serious about a purchase.)

Because the sensors are so sharp, even those setups with cheap kit lenses would have better IQ than the small fixed lens 1" PTZs.

5. Collapse Details
    On second thought, it might have been the iPhone app I am thinking about (there was something) as far as focus and zooming.

Maybe research more if interested.

I also saw that Z CAM has some sort of PTZ cameras with PTZOptics.

https://ptzoptics.com/zcams/ (scroll for a video)

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by NorBro View Post
    On second thought, it might have been the iPhone app I am thinking about (there was something) as far as focus and zooming.
    I think you might be right. I downloaded the ZCAM PC software and got comprehensive exposure and setting control but no mention of zoom or focus. I have a ton of questions so might take them over to the Z CAM forum... thanks for the help and suggestions!