Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by ozmorphasis View Post
    I want to rent one for a project to get an intimate sense of what it can do image wise. On paper, there is no denying that everything you say makes perfect sense. It really does check a LOT of boxes.

So weird to have so many worth-talking-about cameras coming out when so many are hurting for work.
    I can quit buying cameras whenever I want to. I just dont want to. ;)
    www.VideoAbe.com

"Captain, the most elementary and valuable statement in science, the beginning of wisdom, is 'I do not know.'" - Lt. Cmdr. Data

2. Collapse Details
    This is such a dilemma for me and I think about it often. I don't think I have ever been hired for my camera kit (C70 on preorder, currently C200, formerly two C100s). Most of my clients know nothing about cameras and don't seem to care what I use. But maybe the clients who do care are working with higher budgets and I often wonder if owning an industry staple like the C300ii (or an FS7) would be a smart move, even though these are older cameras that may not be as easy to work with as the newer (but lesser known) models. Is it worth walking away from the C70 to find out? I'm certain that the C70 would be a LOT easier to use. I wish the C300iii was in my price range, but it's not. It's such a gamble. Switching or upgrading camera systems is always very cost and time intensive.

EDIT: Just saw this posted by Grug over in another thread:

I think there's a very good reason we aren't seeing producers clamouring for FX9s/C500iis and the latest generation of large-sensor cameras, in the same way they did for the original C300, and then the FS7 after that - we're already at a point of good enough.

For most online or broadcast work, people simply can't see any appreciable difference in the end deliverables. So they just don't really care that much any more.

It's why I think camera choices today, should be driven more by ergonomic and functional motivations - which camera is going to make your shooting days easier to get through? Because that's the decider now, rather than any particular image quality considerations.
    Last edited by QuickHitRecord; 10-13-2020 at 01:11 AM.

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by rob norton View Post
    Do you like shooting with the mark ii? I really like the image but don't enjoy using the world's tallest camera.
    If you get rid of the clamshell and add on the audio interface and the C200 screen, it's MUCH better. That's what we did with ours. C200 still wins for cradled shooting though.
    It's a business first and a creative outlet second.
    G.A.S. destroys lives. Stop buying gear that doesn't make you money.

4. Collapse Details
    Thanks puredrifting,

I have use the C300 only a few times and I think I heard something about the XLR connection problem.
    Can you please explain what you mean by audio interface? Are you talking about adding a better top handle and audio recorder?

Quote Originally Posted by puredrifting View Post
    If you get rid of the clamshell and add on the audio interface and the C200 screen, it's MUCH better. That's what we did with ours. C200 still wins for cradled shooting though.

5. Collapse Details
    He means moving any audio inputs/outputs/controls straight to the body rather than having external parts/accessories that need to be attached to the body thus unnecessarily growing it to an unwieldy Frankenstein rig.

Just a nice little compact camera with everything including a LCD...something like the new C70.

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by jramos View Post
    Thanks puredrifting,

I have use the C300 only a few times and I think I heard something about the XLR connection problem.
    Can you please explain what you mean by audio interface? Are you talking about adding a better top handle and audio recorder?
    I was talking about this version of the 300 MKII. Much better than the original.

Screen Shot 2020-10-13 at 9.28.09 PM October 13.jpg

7. Collapse Details
    Honestly, that looks like as much or even more of a mess. At least the PITA pods are one piece. That set-up is two-separate pieces.

8. Collapse Details
    I never use the top handle on my C300 because I dont use top handles that much anyway. I still dont like the design, but at least it's not so damn tall without it

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Run&Gun View Post
    Honestly, that looks like as much or even more of a mess. At least the PITA pods are one piece. That set-up is two-separate pieces.
    Functionally, it's better and the C200 screen is leagues better than the crappy clamshell screen. Newer technology.

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by QuickHitRecord View Post
    This is such a dilemma for me and I think about it often. I don't think I have ever been hired for my camera kit (C70 on preorder, currently C200, formerly two C100s). Most of my clients know nothing about cameras and don't seem to care what I use. But maybe the clients who do care are working with higher budgets and I often wonder if owning an industry staple like the C300ii (or an FS7) would be a smart move, even though these are older cameras that may not be as easy to work with as the newer (but lesser known) models. Is it worth walking away from the C70 to find out? I'm certain that the C70 would be a LOT easier to use. I wish the C300iii was in my price range, but it's not. It's such a gamble. Switching or upgrading camera systems is always very cost and time intensive.

EDIT: Just saw this posted by Grug over in another thread:
    "
    I think there's a very good reason we aren't seeing producers clamouring for FX9s/C500iis and the latest generation of large-sensor cameras, in the same way they did for the original C300, and then the FS7 after that - we're already at a point of good enough.

For most online or broadcast work, people simply can't see any appreciable difference in the end deliverables. So they just don't really care that much any more.

It's why I think camera choices today, should be driven more by ergonomic and functional motivations - which camera is going to make your shooting days easier to get through? Because that's the decider now, rather than any particular image quality considerations"

+1

I have a super 16mm film camera (for commercials, feature work) bigger budget

and a red scarlet x and C 300 which just about covers everything else

(and for rentals.. Alexa mini and LF about 10 percent of the time)

I think what you have now is fine

Grug 's post sums it up

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast