Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassman2003 View Post
    Don't you need the CFexpress cards for 1080p240? That would be a more used mode than the uber all-I for me.
    Well, you can record it in a time base of 120 or 60p but not 30 or 24. So I suppose I am limiting my MB/frame. But I dont plan on shooting a lot of HD240p especially since I think the readout on the 4K120p is fundamentally cleaner.

2. Collapse Details
    I could not find much info on this other than hearing this in some of the reviews I watched.

3. Collapse Details
    I could not find much info on this other than hearing this in some of the reviews I watched.
    Yeah theres definitely a lack of clarity on some things.

I was able to record HD240fps earlier today to an SD card in a 60p and 120p timebase but not 24p or 30p. I forget what the 24p bitrate was. Probably 50Mbps. So 10x slow motion would yield 500Mbps of real time recording whereas the 60p timebase at same bitrate yields only 200Mbps.

It would be nice to have an H265 HD 240fps option but there isn't any.

4. Collapse Details
    Thanks for your info. What speed of SD card were you using? This is good news to me as the 1080p240 mode would mainly be the reason to go for the CFexpress cards. I can live with the 60p timebase and long GOP recording options. It looks like a V60 card is the best bang for the buck.

5. Collapse Details
    Thanks for your info. What speed of SD card were you using? This is good news to me as the 1080p240 mode would mainly be the reason to go for the CFexpress cards. I can live with the 60p timebase and long GOP recording options. It looks like a V60 card is the best bang for the buck.
    You need a CFexpress card to record all-I HD 240p. You can record all-I HD 120p with a V90 card. (The camera displays a message listing the minimum acceptable media required if the present card is insufficient for the setting you select.)

You can record HD long-gop 240fps with a V60 card.

I have been using Lexar v60 128GB 1000x cards. These have recorded unlimited 400Mbps codec on the GH5 for me.

What's kind of dumb/crippled about the A7SIII is that it will not enable me to record any all-I 4K video without a cfexpress-A card.

But it will allow me to record 280Mbps 4K120p long-GOP H265 with my V60 card.

All-I 4K 24p is only 240Mbps but I cant even select that codec without a CFexpress card in the camera.

This shouldn't be a problem for me as I can get by with long-GOP until someone requests all-I which is rare for me. But it seems clear that they artificially restricted the recording modes in order to sell their overpriced media that no one else currently sells.

6. Collapse Details
    Thanks for your feedback Abe. Glad to hear the V60 cards do the bulk of the codecs. They are much more affordable and I am also fine with long GOP recording. Looks like I have until mid November before getting a chance at purchasing an a7S III. So Canon has until then to wow me with any firmware updates. Or buy two of the new little Fuji's with an external recorder for less money. Tough to make choices without tryig these cameras. I just want to have a step up from my GH5.

7. Collapse Details
    Out of curiosity, are you running the firmware V2.6 or newer on your GH5? On my GH5s face tracking AF worked pretty well for me from a gimbal at a wedding last week.

8. Collapse Details
    I will have to check. I know the last gimbal job I did with the GH5 in March I had FW 2.4 and it performed pretty well. I think I have the latest but I still see the wobble-hunting from time to time. The GH5 is a great camera. If they had put IBIS in the GH5s I would never have considered an upgrade. But such is life...

9. Collapse Details
    I never tried AF on the GH5 with a native lens but my tests of the S1 with the native 24-105 were so bad that I basically gave up on the notion of Panny AF, especially since I thought that S1 AF was nominally improved upon GH5 AF. I suppose firmware updates can make a big difference. It was just so slow to catch up.

But both cameras can identify and box a face readily

I just got the samyang 85 1.4 and 18 2.8 and I'm so excited to try the AF. Not sure if they have the latest firmware though and my lens dock is coming with the 35 1.4 next week.

Omg 85 1.4 with fast af could be sweet

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by ahalpert View Post

What's kind of dumb/crippled about the A7SIII is that it will not enable me to record any all-I 4K video without a cfexpress-A card.

All-I 4K 24p is only 240Mbps but I cant even select that codec without a CFexpress card in the camera.
    I have a ProGrade v90 128GB card in our A7siii. I can select XAVC S-I 4K 60 fps with it.

That's 600M 4:2:2 10 bit.
    David S.

Accept No Imitations.
    www.dvxuser.com | www.reduser.net | www.scarletuser.com | www.dvxfest.com
    and...
    www.BMCuser.com - The Online Community for Blackmagic Camera users.
    Filmmaking Communities powered by Landmine Media, Inc.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast