Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter C. View Post
    Some of the particulars either have changed between models and there has been improvements. My point is that lots of custom buttons and feature choices add complexity and impact the ease of use for me. I no longer have the camera so I'm speaking from memory. But take a simple thing, recording a live event and you need to adjust the audio levels. I believe they can only be accessed in the menu, but while you're recording you can't access the menu. On a camcorder there is a physical dial to set the levels.
    The audio levels can be assigned to a button too.

I had mine assigned to the bottom arrow and then I used the control wheel to increase or decrease the sound.

Click bottom arrow --> spin wheel.

It actually ended up being faster than on anything I ever used in my life because of where the thumb is when holding/using the camera and how quickly you could drastically change levels with the wheel.

And yeah - all my comments are about the a7III as I don't have any experience with the a7SIII...but that's why I add thoughts to these kind of posts because a lot of certain impressionability comes from simple user error or not spending enough time with the camera. I've seen this for 10+ years.

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassman2003 View Post
    Gerald Undone just released a great video about working with the A7sIII's different profiles. Worth a watch for anybody who might own the camera.
    Yes I watched this video as well. In fact I downloaded it as it has a fair bit of information in it. A lot of what he is proscribing for the A7Siii applies to the A7iii. I have come to that conclusion over the last year or so while coming up with 'out of camera' settings for the the 7iii.

Chris Young

3. Collapse Details
    Another thing that I like when comparing the A7sIII and the Canon's is that the little things the Sony might not be as strong in are more software based. Where the Canon's issues are more in hardware. Therefore Sony might be able to really improve this camera going forward - better color, better IBIS utilization etc... And the files are way easier to edit compared to the Canon's.

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassman2003 View Post
    Another thing that I like when comparing the A7sIII and the Canon's is that the little things the Sony might not be as strong in are more software based. Where the Canon's issues are more in hardware. Therefore Sony might be able to really improve this camera going forward - better color, better IBIS utilization etc... And the files are way easier to edit compared to the Canon's.
    Hmm...better IBIS? I thought that WAS hardware-limited

Re:color - I think the best option (which may or may not be a solution depending on your needs) is to record to a Ninja V and bake in a LUT. I think that there's loads of color information to work with, but Sony doesn't beautify the skin tones and palette in-camera like Canon does. For my purposes, I think I might be fine with in-camera color. There are only a couple or maybe even just one color matrix that looks good to me out of the box, but that may be enough, and then there's s-log3 for when I can grade.

5. Collapse Details
    Well, I say IBIS because the "normal" mode does not have a huge number of stops of improvement compared to other systems and maybe they have some room for some gains through optimization. I say maybe though. So maybe not... I have seen a few folks writing in comments about how much room there is to push and pull the footage in post. Great to have flexibility. That is what the video community has always been asking for - enough information to customize without degrading.

6. Collapse Details
    From what I've read, there may not be as much wiggle room for IBIS in E mount because the mount has a smaller opening that was originally designed for APS-C. so I'm not expecting an improvement there. That being said, the "Active" Steadyshot EIS seems to bring the performance roughly up to par with Panasonic IBIS, more or less. I dont notice any weirdness when using it and I plan on using it any time I'm not worried about introducing a slight crop (1.1x I think) and possibly reducing detail slightly.

I haven't done a lot of s-log3 tests yet because I was primarily concerned with getting good SOOC. But i think the image will be very malleable and if you want maximum flexibility, you can record 12-bit ProRes RAW to a Ninja V which should be really cool

7. Collapse Details
    Yeah, I have read both sides of the E-mount/IBIS debate. I thought the mount was limiting but others have said it is not. I have been impressed with the active SS as well in YouTube viewing and just normal IBIS will probably be fine for careful handheld and gimbal help.

8. Collapse Details
    I just realized I ordered my cam with a 160 gig type A card because I wanted to be able to use any framerate/ codec at any time, but I forgot to order a card reader for type A cards... Say good by to another $120 and 4 weeks... duh
    Sony FS7's (x2) / Sony FS100's (x2) / BMCC 2.5/

'Philip Bloom Certified Cinematographer'

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Johnston View Post
    I just realized I ordered my cam with a 160 gig type A card because I wanted to be able to use any framerate/ codec at any time, but I forgot to order a card reader for type A cards... Say good by to another $120 and 4 weeks... duh
    Meh. I'm skipping cfexpress-a for now and continuing to use my SD cards. If someone requests all-I 4k60p from the A7SIII I will buy the cards

10. Collapse Details
    Don't you need the CFexpress cards for 1080p240? That would be a more used mode than the uber all-I for me.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast