1. Collapse Details
    F35 Owners: Airflow Poll
    Poll to F35 owners:
    1. Does your top fan blow down or suck air up?
    2. Does your back fan suck in or blow out?

I have seen cameras in both configurations. I think air blown in from all fans is correct.

I have spent the last week chasing the “max fan” issue by taking the camera apart 25 times and swapping parts 1 by 1. You will get this error anytime 1 of the 3 fan boards isn’t connected or fan isn’t connected to one of those boards. If all 3 are connected the problem comes from MB-1100 board, it is $700 part, and a real pain to get out of camera.I am hoping to find failing component and learn to repair. This issue seems to exist in a few cameras, the camera functions fine except for max fan stuck on. The mb-1100 is the main motherboard everything plugs into. This is why random things like plugging in ENG lens will effect the error, all inputs plug into this board.

Now for some interesting things:

The CCD gets noisier when it gets too hot. Running a camera for a few hours with low fan it gets noisier. At this point if I switch fan modes you see the noise reduce with fan turned higher, even better with top off.

Removing the memory stick module, and the 12v/24v/Ethernet module and cables has lowered CCD temp for me. In fact removing all the unused cables and parts the air from the back fans can be felt through the camera now.

I wouldn’t recommend tearing your cam apart but keeping fans on high until shooting could help. I will try to conduct a more scientific test with temp probe and photos but I feel the F35 image grain is effected by heat of CCD.
    Last edited by yachacha; 10-07-2020 at 02:40 PM.

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

2. Collapse Details
    I have always wondered about the noise issue, some days I get a clean image and other days not. The CCD temperature makes a lot of sense .

My top fans on front plate and back fans near outputs all suck in air. The only exhaust is on the bottom fan on the back of the camera.

I have been tempted to take out some of the modules to extend battery usage and better airflow. How challenging is it ?

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by jo kami View Post
    I have always wondered about the noise issue, some days I get a clean image and other days not. The CCD temperature makes a lot of sense .

My top fans on front plate and back fans near outputs all suck in air. The only exhaust is on the bottom fan on the back of the camera.

I have been tempted to take out some of the modules to extend battery usage and better airflow. How challenging is it ?
    It is about as easy as swapping parts in a PC tower. However, the parts are more fragile and much more expensive to replace. A ribbon cable, which Sony calls a printed c board, or something like that, is almost USD$500. Other things, like the cards or mother boards can be more. The fans themselves are generic, but the. controller boards they are connected to are likely in the hundreds.

Just go through the F35 forum threads here and there is a lot of advice on what or what not to do when taking the F35 apart. Purchasing an iFixit tool kit or similar, could be helpful, but one can certainly manage with simple tools from around the house.

I tore the "printed c-board" or ribbon cable that connects the sensor block to the AD/DA card. that is one of the more fragile parts that you might deal with inside the body. That is at least a $450 mistake. Unless you know someone that can print you a ned c-board like cable. it does appear to be generic parts, just that I have no idea about the routing of things inside it.

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by yachacha View Post
    Removing the memory stick module, and the 12v/24v/Ethernet module and cables has lowered CCD temp for me. In fact removing all the unused cables and parts the air from the back fans can be felt through the camera now.
    Do you think these fans could be replaced for an aftermarket module? Do they look standard or specially made?

I wouldn’t recommend tearing your cam apart but keeping fans on high until shooting could help. I will try to conduct a more scientific test with temp probe and photos but I feel the F35 image grain is effected by heat of CCD.
    But this would help lower the temp? so gutting the camera body could make for your camera body to work better?

C
    IATSE Local 600 Western Region 1st Assistant Camera
    Associate Member of the S.O.C.

5. Collapse Details
    James is referring to the most important connection in the F35 which happens to be the easiest to break. It’s a thin ribbon cable which plugs into the side of the CCD, it needs to be pulled out evenly from both sides or it tears. Luckily you can remove the memory stick from the bottom and side 12/24/Ethernet fairly easily and don’t need the ccd out to remove them. Also I think Jo Kami made the original F35 CCD replacement guide so he is no stranger to delicate cables.

Yes they are simple pc fans with different plugs. I will post photos but Noctua fans are quieter and push more air. I will post specific model I used, I’m not at home at the moment. I will post photos of how to remove parts and add fan in complete post. I have only tried the ccd fan so far but this is the hardest working one.

6. Collapse Details
    Also I think Jo Kami made the original F35 CCD replacement guide so he is no stranger to delicate cables.
    how did I miss that? sheesh. haha. Sorry, Jo!

7. Collapse Details
    Yes they are simple pc fans with different plugs. I will post photos but Noctua fans are quieter and push more air. I will post specific model I used, Im not at home at the moment. I will post photos of how to remove parts and add fan in complete post. I have only tried the ccd fan so far but this is the hardest working one.
    Excited for this one! Thank you so much!

C
    IATSE Local 600 Western Region 1st Assistant Camera
    Associate Member of the S.O.C.