1. Collapse Details
    EOS R HDMI to SDI to Odyssey
    I recently picked up a C500 and Odyssey 7q. Icing on the cake would have been if it was the 7q+ so I could get 10 bit 4:2:2 out of my EOS R to boot.
    I searched the forum a bit and it seems years ago people were trying to get 1080p60 out of the original Sony a7s to the Odyssey 7q via HDMI to SDI.
    Anyone know if I can get the R's 10 bit 4:2:2 into the Odyssey via a 4k HDMI to SDI converter?
    Thanks!

2. Collapse Details
    Yes, this is technically possible, but it is not simple due to the fact that the Odyssey 7Q only has 3G SDI ports. The Odyssey 7Q+ actually included hardware changes to both the HDMI input and the SDI inputs, which were upgraded to 6G SDI receivers which is necessary to support 4k 30 over a single SDI cable.

Without a 6G SDI port on the Odyssey 7Q, you have to use two of the 3G SDI inputs in a dual-link SDI configuration. Which means that something like the basic Blackmagic HDMI to SDI 6G converter (for $145) will not be sufficient for this as it only outputs single-link 6G SDI signal. You could, however, take the 6G SDI output from the converter and send it through a Blackmagic SDI Multiplex 4K converter ($495) to convert from single-link 6G SDI to dual-link 3G SDI.

Another option is to use a different HDMI to SDI converter like the AJA HA5-4K ($595) which is capable of outputting dual-link 3G SDI directly. So neither of these options is particularly inexpensive.

3. Collapse Details
    Thanks, davedv.
    But the Odyssey will record a 4K stream up to 30p via a single SDI able, so shouldn't it be able to take a 4K HDMI to SDI-converted signal, too? Is there any reason a 6G input (or dual 3G inputs) would be necessary?
    But yeah, those are pretty expensive options for something that I'd just like to play around with.

4. Collapse Details
    For a single-chip, bayer pattern sensor (as used by most modern cinema cameras), RAW video takes up less space than de-bayered baseband video that would typically be sent over an SDI or HDMI cable. This is because RAW image data from a bayer pattern sensor only has one value per pixel, and the de-bayering process converts this into three separate RGB color values for each pixel. So uncompressed, RGB (or 4:4:4) baseband video actually requires 3 times the bandwidth of RAW video at the same bit depth.

Standard uncompressed 1080p30 HD video can be sent over an HD-SDI link with a video bandwidth of 1.5 Gbps in 10-bit format with 4:2:2 subsampling. 4K video has four times as many pixels as 1080p HD, so this requires 6 Gbps of bandwidth to send 2160p30 at 10-bit 4:2:2. And if you want to send 2160p30 full RGB or 4:4:4 video, the bandwidth requirements are actually 1.5x higher or 9 Gbps. But RAW video at the same resolution only has 1/3 as many values and as a result, it will fit within a 3 Gbps link.

This is why a camera like the Canon C500 can send 4K 30fps RAW over a single 3G SDI port, but can't do the same for standard RGB or 4:2:2 baseband video. And converting a 4K 30fps HDMI video signal in 10-bit 4:2:2 format to SDI, requires a 6G SDI port to output over a single cable.

5. Collapse Details
    Whoops! Sorry for the late reply, davedv. Interesting stuff! That's something I didn't know about debayered video - or at least hadn't really put two and two together and thought it through. I guess that puts an end to my 'easy SDI-to-HDMI EOS R 4K conversion' idea!