Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary T View Post
    I think you might be referring to this excursion. At least you can't say he is taking chances with his personal health.

Attachment 140690

https://abcnews.go.com/International...ry?id=69768452
    isn't that just his new track suit? he's very fashionable

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Imamacuser View Post
    A coworker of mine caught a cold, he tested negative for covid, but was still required to quarantine for 14 days, due to the potential for a false-negative. I think that policy is overly cautious, but businesses have the right to implement any safety practices they deem prudent.
    why can't they just test him twice?!?! or three times? my goodness

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by mcgeedigital View Post
    We are a country of 50 independent states.

No President can mandate a national mask policy.

The Governors can.
    Hunh. Seems like you're right. But the feds could use funding to incentivize states to do a mandate, as with driving laws or what they were talking about recently with school openings:

t is not clear whether the CDC has the authority to mandate face coverings nationwide. The Public Health Service Act grants the CDC powers to detain and medically examine potentially infected persons arriving into the United States and traveling between states, but this authority is unlikely to extend to regulatory actions such as requiring masks. Congress probably could enact a national mandate under the commerce power but has not done so. A federal mandate, moreover, might provoke political opposition to face coverings rooted in state sovereignty.

A better way to gain more national uniformity is by inducing states to enact mask laws. This respects states as key decision makers in public health and is more consistent with state autonomy. It is also easier to gain compliance with state and local directives rather than using federal officers to monitor and enforce a national mandate.

A well-crafted use of federal spending powers would likely be constitutional. Congress could attach conditions on the receipt of federal funds, inducing states to adopt a mandate. Intoxicated driver laws offer an analogy. The Supreme Court upheld a federal law conditioning 5% of highway funds on states adopting a 21-year-old drinking age.8 The court probably would similarly uphold a federal law designating a reasonable portion of COVID-19 emergency funding on the condition that states issue mask directives. It is possible, however, that some states would reject a mask mandate, thus doubly jeopardizing their residents’ health—no funding and no mask mandate.
    https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jam...rticle/2769440

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by ahalpert View Post
    There's a hospital in Moscow that was set aside for the Covid patients. Putin went there once for a photo op with its chief .... but then that chief was diagnosed with Covid himself. So, Vlad went into hiding and has been conducting business from a TV room.

Well, except when he gave out the poison orders. That wasn't televised.

5. Collapse Details
    What you are describing sounds much more like the United Nations than the United States. Our states are not independent of each other and the citizens and governments of those states certainly subject to federal laws and the constitution.

Having said that, I agree with you that, contrary to what the current holder of the office says, the president's power is not "total." Our presidents are not kings who can force us to wear masks or forbid state governments from requiring them because it suits her or her fancy. Any president who wants to require or forbid masks will have to do so within the framework of the Constitution and federal law.

While it is open question as to whether or not the president can make masks mandatory, there are many tools available to the executive branch and congress that could be used to force state compliance. Congress could pass a law that withholds a substantial portion of federal aid from states the refuse to implement mask mandates. This is the strategy that successfully used to raise the drinking age in the US.

The executive branch has broad emergency public health powers as it relates to interstate commerce that could used to impose painful restrictions on travel and commerce from states that don't abide with federal guidelines. Fortunately that law allow for exemptions for religious reasons but even in those cases the federal government can "substantially burden a person's exercise of religion" if it demonstrates that the "application of the burden to the person" "is in furtherance of a compelling governmental interest; and is the least restrictive means of furthering that compelling governmental interest."

This doesn't have to be and should not be a partisan issue, but there should be a vigorous public debate about what the federal and state governments are allowed to do. Hopefully the courts will be there to adjudicate matters in an apolitical manner that properly balances individual liberties and the obligation of the government to protect the populace.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/law...rity-not-total

https://crsreports.congress.gov/prod...f/LSB/LSB10530

https://uscode.house.gov/view.xhtml?...false%7Cprelim

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by DLD View Post
    There's a hospital in Moscow that was set aside for the Covid patients. Putin went there once for a photo op with its chief .... but then that chief was diagnosed with Covid himself. So, Vlad went into hiding and has been conducting business from a TV room.

Well, except when he gave out the poison orders. That wasn't televised.
    And he promises the TV room is above ground and not in a bunker!

7. Collapse Details

While it is open question as to whether or not the president can make masks mandatory, there are many tools available to the executive branch and congress that could be used to force state compliance. Congress could pass a law that withholds a substantial portion of federal aid from states the refuse to implement mask mandates. This is the strategy that successfully used to raise the drinking age in the US.
    I think that such practices are outside of the spirit of the 10th amendment, you might like the results now, but I think it sets a bad precedent for a tactic that can easily be used in a bad way. We should try to be cognizant of unintended consequences of the government's response to the virus.

My state's governor hasn't issued a mask mandate, however, a number of mayors have issued city wide mask mandates, but my attorney friends tell me that such edicts exceed a mayor's authority.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

8. Collapse Details

No President can mandate a national mask policy.

The Governors can.
    My comment was slightly tongue-in-cheek. I was just alluding to "I wonder if" we will see a change in position or heart towards wearing masks since he has been essentially anti-mask(at least publicly), now that he has contracted CV.

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by ahalpert View Post
    but I don't see any Adidas stripes :?
    Pudgy bearded camera guy
    http://mcbob.tv

10. Collapse Details
    I think you might be referring to this excursion. At least you can't say he is taking chances with his personal health.
    ... and I heard on the radio today if he is having a one on one meeting with military or political leaders they have to go through 14 days quarantine. Apparently he has also cleared his agenda of any meetings with foreign heads of state and dignitaries until at least late this year or early next year. Zoom is the order of the day!

Just found this little story. Not at all like Donald!
    https://www.pbs.org/wnet/amanpour-an...vid-19-b3xltx/

Chris Young

Putin Zoom.jpg

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast