Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    New Panasonic MFT cine camera?
    Another cine camera is rumored, this time from Panasonic.

https://www.43rumors.com/ft4-leaked-...t-cine-camera/

2. Collapse Details

You can see the pic here
    Thanks,

Harry
    Sunny & Mild Media

3. Collapse Details
    He seems to be making some good guesses. Sounds like a cool camera.

Now Panasonic just needs to make an auto focus 20x fast eng zoom for M43 to give it a run into the ENG world.

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

4. Collapse Details
    Are there any viable ENG lenses for the M43 mount? Seems even s35 format even got the 17-120mm and the 25-250mm.

2010-2019:
    "So, the main advantage of M43 over s35 and FF35 is being able to make more compact zooms? Cool, let's only make slow small ones!"

"So, the M43 sensor has advantages in higher resolutions over 2/3", and it could replace it for ENG camera work? Cool, let's make the AF100 and then abandon that idea and not even allow our GH line to even try. "

2020:
    "There is a big slowdown in camera sales, and a pandemic? Well, let's make some good cameras that no one is going to buy!"

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by James0b57 View Post
    Are there any viable ENG lenses for the M43 mount? Seems even s35 format even got the 17-120mm and the 25-250mm.
    No, there aren't any native Micro 4/3 ENG-style lenses at all.

There are only 4 native Micro 4/3 lenses with servo zoom support at all, and none of these have a very wide zoom range:
    • Panasonic 14-42mm f/3.5-5.6 PZ Power O.I.S.
    • Panasonic 45-175mm f/4.0-5.6 PZ OIS
    • Olympus 12-50mm f/3.5-6.3 EZ
    • Olympus 14-42mm f/3.5-5.6 EZ

None of these lenses are designed with ENG-style lens bodies with zoom rockers (two of them are pancake lenses). I think they were mostly geared toward casual hybrid shooters, and they were all released several years ago (2014 or earlier).

Panasonic did develop a 13x f/2.8-4.5 servo zoom lens for the DVX200 which used a Micro 4/3 sensor, but they never released anything similar as a standalone lens.

The odd thing, was that Blackmagic actually released a few studio-oriented cameras with Micro 4/3 lens mounts aimed at live productions and such, but ultimately the cameras are severely limited in their usefulness due to a lack of suitable native ENG style zoom lens options. And recently the Pocket Cinema Camera 4K has become fairly popular for live production due to its integration with Blackmagic's ATEM Mini live switchers, and I'd guess that there are some people that would be interested in a decent servo zoom lens option for that camera as well.

There has been significant growth in live streaming video over the past decade, but for some reason the major Japanese camera manufacturers have mostly ignored this application for their cameras until very recently. For example, there are very few cameras with integrated streaming support for the major streaming platforms (YouTube, Facebook, etc.). And it took a pandemic to prompt them to release software to allow usage of their cameras as a live streaming option through a computer (and they all did so within a matter of months, suggesting that it wasn't all that difficult to develop such a feature).

Now it seems like every new camera release has features geared toward producing video for internet delivery.

6. Collapse Details
    Theres the DZO MFT 20-70. I think that's a useful range (arri has the 45-135 now). But without a proper wide angle can it really be called an eng lens? And no built-in servo. But it looks nice and its T2.9 $1500

They make a 10-24 as well

dzoptics_dzo_6226611a_20_70mm_t2_9_m4_3_lens_1569419452000_1507682.jpg

The Fuji 18-55 comes in MFT

But yeah it seems like a missed opportunity that theres no 12-120 T2.9 for $4k in MFT
    Last edited by ahalpert; 09-26-2020 at 03:11 AM.

7. Collapse Details
    The Olympus 12-100mm f4 is probably the best all rounder

8. Collapse Details
    To me ENG means.. (or rather a doc lens means)

Show the scene (12mm min on mft)
    Mid the person (25mm on MFT)
    Detail what the person is doing (50-70 on MFT with reasonable close focus distance)
    No lens change.

A lens would IMO have to be 12-50 minimum

(a News Gathering lens would need at least 300mmFF to do things far away)

Probaly 2.8 to rival other sensor/lens options for light capture.

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by ahalpert View Post
    Theres the DZO MFT 20-70. I think that's a useful range (arri has the 45-135 now). But without a proper wide angle can it really be called an eng lens? And no built-in servo. But it looks nice and its T2.9 $1500

They make a 10-24 as well

dzoptics_dzo_6226611a_20_70mm_t2_9_m4_3_lens_1569419452000_1507682.jpg

The Fuji 18-55 comes in MFT

But yeah it seems like a missed opportunity that theres no 12-120 T2.9 for $4k in MFT
    I've rented and shot with that Fuji MKX18-55mm t/2.9 a few times. GREAT lens. Wish it cost a bit less. For me, I would have to get the Canon 18-80 instead, more reach, servo, IS, AF, too many useful things
    I would lose buying the Fuji. I love our X-T3s but they aren't the C200 with RAW.
    It's a business first and a creative outlet second.
    G.A.S. destroys lives. Stop buying gear that doesn't make you money.

10. Collapse Details
    The DZO lenses are amazing. I like them better than the other brands because they have some soul. They look really sharp, yet also more creamy, with forgiving focus fall off, and gentle flares. Solid flare, and the back focus allows the lenses to get really close focus.

The only thing, they are compact lenses. I am interested in a giant 20X high speed ENG M43 lens for like $10K-$30K, depending on its performance and specs.

Like a 10-200 with an F1.8 that's sharp wide open and it no bigger than the Canon 17-120, and yeah, charge whatever you want for that bad boi.

But a 12-120 at an F2.8 eh, $10K, if it is good.

Something between those two and closer to a $20K would make more sense though. Professional ENG crews and companies could still afford them, as the camera bodies are so much cheaper now.

But yeah, I love those DZO M43 lenses. And since the P4K is so surprisingly good in low light, the T3 didn't hinder me at all. Even for documentary style shoots. However, I think the DZO's are absolutely perfect for those doc style commercials. The ones where corporations are trying to look authentic by showing real customers, yet are cinematic. The lenses really have a relaxed natural feel. And a set is $3K allowing for A/B cam shooting as well, for interviews. The Panasonic stills zooms have a sharp and crisp look that is nice too, but no other M43 lens I've used feels as much like s16 soul as the DZO. They also take anamorphic adapters really well.

Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast