Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 28910111213 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by filmguy123 View Post
    darn, i was hoping this would turn out to be a sort of af200 / mini eva1.
    me too!
    Thanks,

Harry
    Sunny & Mild Media

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by jdv View Post
    No improvements to the color science, or any other sort of unique feature not seen on some other Panny model.
    Panasonic is claiming 13 stops of DR, versus 12 on the GH5s. It's probably because the sensor is kept much cooler with the new fans, so the noise floor is lowered, but it may only be like a half a stop difference if they are rounding the GH5s down to 12 stops and the cooling just bumps it a hair over 13.

The SDI alone is a nice upgrade (I hate HDMI) but it's odd that it's only 3G.

The pricepoint of this camera really seems like it should have been closer to $1000, but I don't think I'm the target audience - it really seems aimed towards livestreaming.

3. Collapse Details
    I wonder how they are getting 13 stops as V-log-L has a hard limit of 12 stops. I remember the threads discussing this when the GH5 and DVX200 were released.

http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread...roper-Exposure

https://pro-av.panasonic.net/en/dvx4...ef_vol6_en.pdf

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cu43TJH-Xrw

Maybe there is plan for an eventual RAW output that uses the full V-log?

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Teddy_Dem View Post
    I wonder how they are getting 13 stops as V-log-L has a hard limit of 12 stops.
    They are getting it by writing it down on paper and saying that's what it is, lol.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by NorBro View Post
    They are getting it by writing it down on paper and saying that's what it is, lol.
    Lol

6. Collapse Details
    My understanding of V-Log L is that it is essentially the same log curve as is used in full V-Log, but truncated in the top portion. So where full V-Log has 8-stops above and 8-stops below middle gray, V-Log L has the same 8-stops in the shadows, but only 4-stops in the highlights:

1405-PIC5-PIC5-12336_PIC5.jpg

On previous Panasonic cameras with V-Log L, this showed up as a hard clip at around 79 IRE. So it's possible that what they have done with the BGH1, is just to nudge the clip point 1 stop higher, which would allow for 5-stops in the highlights and 8 in the shadows (13 overall). This is possible, because unlike say S-Log2 and S-Log3 which are entirely different log curves, V-Log and V-Log L are basically the same curve. Which in theory makes it possible to use the same LUTs whether shooting V-Log or V-Log L.

And the comparison between the GH5S and BGH1 at about 5 minutes into this video does seem to show that the BGH1 has more information in the highlights:

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by davedv View Post
    And the comparison between the GH5S and BGH1 at about 5 minutes into this video does seem to show that the BGH1 has more information in the highlights:]
    You can avoid the artificial hard clip in VLog-L by shooting HLG and get all the DR the sensor can capture.

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by NorBro View Post
    So good!

9. Collapse Details
    Cool little camera.

"2020, the year of the box camera" haha.

10. Collapse Details
    As others have pointed out I'm having a hard time seeing who will buy it. The crippled SDI-out makes it useless for 4K professional work, and 2000$ for only HD in a box is not gonna cut it.

IQ aside (we don't know it yet), the Blackmagic Micro Studio Camera 4K is 30-40% cheaper, got 6G SDI (not ideal for 4K but still makes it possible), raw recording i.e. you don't need extra recorders for gimbal work or drones to achieve highest quality...

It is just that I see no niche market for this camera to grab a hold on. If it would have had 12G SDI it would have been very possible to use it in 4K production. But now it just seems like a miss-matched Frankensteinian camera. For Panny's sake I hope they have a better idea on the market than me, cause I would like to see a "mark 2".

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 28910111213 LastLast