Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Combat
    You are completely correct - I tried the same argument on the c70 thread

2. Collapse Details
    Mitch
    Not only would a 2/3 lens cover with a doubler many have a doubler built in.
    So they should work or maybe they have some baffle that would need removing?

3. Collapse Details
    Asked me want to dig out my gh4 and yah box!

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by morgan_moore View Post
    Mitch
    Not only would a 2/3 lens cover with a doubler many have a doubler built in.
    So they should work or maybe they have some baffle that would need removing?
    An individual lens may or may not have a mechanical blockage. And the internal doubler is designed to make the center of the image twice the magnification, as opposed to expanding the image to twice the size (actually four times the size). That means that the image quality may fall apart as it reaches to the outer edges of the MFT frame. Both factors are a big maybe as one would need to test individual lenses to know since they were never desiged for such use and may vary unit to unit. The good news is that a simple mechanical adaptor (no optics, relies on the internal doubler) is fairly inexpensive, so you can try it out.
    Mitch Gross
    NYC

5. Collapse Details
    MItch - the poor performance of this lens is due to its age and SD ness or due to some form of compensation for three chips?

Maybe a properly designed doubler would be 'cheap'

ENG lens on FS7 with glassless converter..

6. Collapse Details
    It would be nice to have a modern M43 zoom that can work at a lower light level than the 4/3 lens/camera systems.

If you're going to match the exact exposure levels and DOF of a 4/3 camera, then what is the point of going M43 in the first place? Sure, then you have the option to switch to a Nokton for interviews.

But I was kind of thinking that one of the primary benefits of a larger format was working with lower illumination levels. I was hoping there was a midway point (for the sake of keeping lens size down) between what you get with 2/3 and what you get with S35 T2.9.
    Last edited by ahalpert; 09-27-2020 at 05:36 AM.

7. Collapse Details
    That is a dream system to me - an ENG lens for actuality and a couple of .95 lenses for interviews and art on the same smallish body. MFT chip.

I think it could be highly portable.

8. Collapse Details
    Another, similar solution to the problem would be an 8K GH camera. The GH5 does extra tele conversion in 4K with an additional 1.4x crop - so, a 2.8x crop factor.

If it could do ETC in 4K with an additional 2x crop (as from 8K to 4K), you end up with the 4x crop factor of 4/3.

So you could use your ENG lens in cropped 4K (and probably get very high frame rates) and then swap to your beauty lenses and use the rest of the sensor for interviews or very dark settings, etc. Or you even have a speedbooster to bring S35+ image circles onto the M43 sensor area. By swinging lenses and adapters, you can have 1.28x, 2x, and 4x crop factors.

9. Collapse Details
    Speak of the devil - Zhong Yi just announced a UHD B4 to M43 adapter/doubler. About 1lb $1k

https://www.43rumors.com/zhong-yi-op...nder-released/

10. Collapse Details
    THis looks good - at 1lb five elements and designed for the job it should be better than the internal dubler.

ONe thing Im not up to speed on is the 2/3 lenses are (or are not??) landing the coloured light at different planes to function with three chips. (This would cause colour fringing on a single chip - my 'film' was abound with colour fringes amongst many abberations)

Maybe Mitch would be kind enough to chip in.

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast