Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    It seems like the perfect upgrade for the C100 user. I'm not sure how many have been waiting to upgrade rather than getting a Sony or the C200, though. The inclusion of timecode makes it a great choice as a b or c cam. If it had SDI out or an ability to relocate the monitor, I would be sorely tempted to get one.

2. Collapse Details
    I can't find the datarates for the codecs the C70 shots in, is that info out yet?
    ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
    I LIKE FOOD. FOOD IS GOOD.
    ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

3. Collapse Details
    www.VideoAbe.com

"Captain, the most elementary and valuable statement in science, the beginning of wisdom, is 'I do not know.'" - Lt. Cmdr. Data

4. Collapse Details
    410Mbps XF-AVC is identical to the C300 MKII data rate. It's plenty and looks great although RAW looks a bit sharper and more detailed to my eye?
    I have the C200 and 300 MKII and have shot with them both on the same projects side by side. Also, the color science is pretty different between the C200 and C300 MKII.
    The gamma settings aren't laid out the same in the menus, the C300 MKII has options and combos not available on the C200.
    Last edited by puredrifting; 09-24-2020 at 09:35 PM.
    It's a business first and a creative outlet second.
    G.A.S. destroys lives. Stop buying gear that doesn't make you money.

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by puredrifting View Post
    It's plenty and looks great although RAW looks a bit sharper and more detailed to my eye?
    Yes, at 200% on a 4k monitor CRL files on the C300mkIII are appreciably sharper and more detailed than 10 bit XFAVC. You can clearly see what you are losing with compression. The footage looks more organic and doesn't suffer from the same artefacts. That said, at 100% it's much more difficult to see the difference, it's subtle but the CRL files still look ever so slightly better. The 10 bit XFAVC stills looks great and I use it for most projects.

6. Collapse Details
    To me, this new C70 is a camera I would buy simply for the sensor. You are getting a $11k sensor in a $5k camera, that is amazing. The CVP YouTube video comparing the C300 MKIII, C70 prototype and the C200 convinced me.
    I love the images I get with our C200 when shooting CRL and even when shooting it's sub par XF-AVC. The C70 is all of that and more. I could live without RAW on a camera like this, the C300 MKII level XF-AVC paired with that
    sensor is badass.

The form factor is a little weird, but once again, a huge portion of the market shoots electronic shoe boxes with lenses attached, the days of the ergonomic camera are done. I shot shoulder mounted the other day with my C200
    outside. Have the Zacuto Loupe, Zacuto VCT Pro baseplate and shoulder pad, rod and handgrip extenders, the C200 is still a horrible shoulder mount camera, just like this would be. I can make it work when need be, but shooting
    outside on a 106F day with the C200 blowing hot air in my ear, yeah, it was kind of ridiculous but that's the compromise you make with bad ergonomic cameras. Fortunately these days I am not shooting shoulder
    mounted much since the EPK and BTS business has basically ground to a halt with Covid.

On a tripod, gimbal or slider, the C70 would rock and even handheld for a lot of smaller shoots, it's small and light enough to be usable handheld if you are skilled and use an IS lens. I'm sticking with our C200 because it's paid for and
    continues to make me great money on every shoot but I would definitely not mind having the C70. It would end up being used much like my C100 MKI was, great travel camera for shooting all over the world without breaking your back,
    great documentary low key follow along camera too. Love it. Wish is had SDI video out but you can't have everything.
    It's a business first and a creative outlet second.
    G.A.S. destroys lives. Stop buying gear that doesn't make you money.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

7. Collapse Details
    A bit bigger but paired with an external recorder gives you ProRes HQ and HDMI to SDI conversion.

But limited to 4K60

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Clermond View Post
    I hope someone sells a R5 now. I need a second one for an upcoming assignment soon

the codec specs are nice but only one HDMI port and the missing EVF might become a bigger
    issue than you might consider now.
    +1

The one exception is being able to put a diopter on the flip out screen, which gives the operator an EVF. I did that on the Canon 60D, and I never broke off the LCD. So, it can be done.

However, I will say, that I enjoy how compact a camera becomes with a built in EVF. Also, I haven't seen any evidence that a built in EVF has negative effects on a camera build, yet, and there is no evidence that the bill in EVF demands higher cost.... yet, the built in EVF has many advantages for compact shooters, and people who want to be less obtrusive.

The C70 users should be able to do most anything with their built in floppy screen. But a built in EVF seems like a nice bonus, with little drawbacks.

The EVF can even make the top stage more functional, like putting the SDI out up top

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by puredrifting View Post
    To me, this new C70 is a camera I would buy simply for the sensor. You are getting a $11k sensor in a $5k camera, that is amazing. The CVP YouTube video comparing the C300 MKIII, C70 prototype and the C200 convinced me.
    Thanks for pointing out the CVP review. I agree it is quite impressive and I can see why it persuaded you. To my eye, it looks like C70 footage underexposed by 4 stops would clean up wonderfully in FXPX's built in noise reducer and footage shot at 6 stops under exposed could potentially be rescued by Neat Video. I think this camera will be a beast for documentary work where filmmakers have very limited control of lighting. I posted a link cued to relevant portion of the video below.

Having said that I am still think of getting the S1H or S5 for several personal narrative projects if life ever gets back to normal. Panasonic's implementation of ProRes RAW looks to be first rate and would make secondary color correction a breeze. Of course I realize I am probably an outlier, which explains why the S1H barely cracks the top 20 on B&H's best seller list.

For those who absolutely need to buy soon, it a great time to purchase a cameras. There are so many great options in the sub $12,000 range.

I do feel for the camera companies. They must pine for the good old days when a camera model could sell well for years. These days it seems like most cameras barely get a year of good sales before they get supplanted by a competitors product. That isn't very long to recoup R&D, marketing and other costs.

https://youtu.be/_qM6U--chGg?t=2121

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary T View Post
    I do feel for the camera companies. They must pine for the good old days when a camera model could sell well for years. These days it seems like most cameras barely get a year of good sales before they get supplanted by a competitors product. That isn't very long to recoup R&D, marketing and other costs.
    I think those companies are the ones withholding basic features and releasing new cameras that give us all FOMO because we got fidgety and upgraded a year too early. Haha. They had a huge boom during the digital transition. Things may be moving back towards slower cycles, but they had us on a leash for a bit. They're still offering some weird ergonomic designs, but at least their image quality is up to snuff, for the most part.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast