Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Lens question for the black magic pocket 4k.
    Thanks for taking a look at this.
    I'm not a DP - but a filmmaker who sometimes has to shoot my own stuff while I'm also acting/directing/writing.
    I have the BMPC4k with the panny 12-35. Also just picked up the moza air 2.
    Ive been noticing vignetting with some of my shots. i read premiere can remove this in post but would rather it not there to begin with.
    Also this whole focus by wire is not good with the panny lens. I need a proper cine lens with hard stops.
    I've been looking at the Meike 16mm cinema lens.
    I have 2 brand new lens when i bought my black magic cinema camera back in the day. I used them for one shoot years back and they've been sitting here since then.
    Those are the sigma 17-50 and the tokina 11-16 with a novoflex adapter. I never sold the cinema camera nor the original pocket camera either.
    My question - forgive me for taking so long to get here - is should i sell the the 2 lens mentioned above and the original cinema camera and the original pocket? If I kept the tokina is there an adapter I can get for it with my new BMP4K? I assume there is. I realize the question is a little fuzzy. Any thoughts would be most appreciated.

2. Collapse Details
    You can get a regular adapter or a speedbooster for the 11-16 in either nikon or Canon mount (depending on what you have).

It would make sense to sell whatever you're not using, including the 17-50 if you're not happy with it.

Budget cine primes include the Meike, SLR Magic, and Rokinon/Samyang which you can surely find used for a song

All 3 brands come in micro four thirds, but if you get a speedbooster for your Tokina, you could buy full-frame or APS-C lenses from Rokinon/samyang and benefit from extra light and less DOF (if that's what you want)

3. Collapse Details
    Actually, probably the most cost effective thing to do would be to use the Tokina with a regular adapter and then buy a Rokinon 24 and 35 in either M43 or the same mount as the Tokina. And you could also buy a 50 if you want something more telephoto

4. Collapse Details
    Thanks Ahalpert - I might pick up a dumb adapter for the tokina 11-16 and see what it looks like.
    it's not that im not happy with the sigma 17-50 - Im just not using it since i bought the BMPC4k. Hmmm - maybe there's an adapter to MFT?
    is there one lens you keep on the yer BMPC4k - if that's indeed the camera you use?
    Thanks again for yer feedback

5. Collapse Details
    Sorry - did not see your second post - let me chew this over merci

6. Collapse Details
    you would need a smart adapter to open and close the aperture on the tokina or the sigma. just an electronic adapter. it doesn't need to be a speedbooster.

the 17-50 with a speedbooster would be the type of lens you can keep on your pocket. I don't own a pocket but I have M43, S35 and FF cameras plus 2 speedboosters and I do a lot of focal length multiplication.

On my gimbal camera, I typically keep a 24-70mm or 24-105mm full-frame lens.

The Panasonic 12-35mm equates to a 24-70mm with the 2x crop factor. But the P4K has a larger sensor and smaller crop factor which must be why you're getting vignetting.

The 17-50 might do the trick for you with a speedbooster. And if you have a simple smart adapter as well, you could use that instead of the speedbooster when you want to zoom in a bit more.

Here's the .71x speedbooster I use with my GH5 for Canon lenses: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...hoCoVcQAvD_BwE

I like it. The Metabones might have some advantages but I'd say they're pretty similar and the Metabones is much more expensive.

The Sigma 18-35 Art lens is one that people seem to keep on their Pocket cameras a lot. With the 1.9x crop factor of the P4K multiplied by the .71x crop factor of the speedbooster, it comes out to a 24-47mm lens in full-frame equivalent. And it's a very pretty lens with a fast aperture. You would have your 11-16mm when you need to go wider. 35mm with a simple adapter at a 1.9x crop factor equates to 66mm full-frame. So you may still need something more telephoto, depending on what you're shooting. But you might be OK.

But then again, the Sigma 17-50 with the option of a speedbooster and a simple smart adapter could be literally all you need.

7. Collapse Details
    Hey Ahalpert
    thanks so much for all of that.
    It was so helpful.
    Have a great day.
    kev

8. Collapse Details
    If you decide to go for a Metabones Speed Booster, make sure you get the Pocket version and not the other version for Panasonics/etc.

9. Collapse Details
    merci nobro - yes i saw they had one just for the pocket.

Hey Norbro - since yer here - do you own the BMP4k? If so do you have a fav lens for it?

10. Collapse Details
    I just sold it yesterday! But Voigtlanders are my favorite MFT lenses.

Just a really lovely look and great performance starting around ~f/1.4.

With that said, if you're planning on using a follow-focus system you'd be better served with a lens with built-in gears (even though you can get a special gear ring for those lenses).

Since there is no AF with the BM, there is no point in purchasing almost any Panasonic or Olympus lens if you're interested in precise manual focusing for traditional filmmaking.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast