Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by DLD View Post
    Now, who can tell a Bavarian R from a Viennese one?
    Is it an African swallow or a European swallow?
    Mitch Gross
    NYC

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitch Gross View Post
    4gw657.jpg

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitch Gross View Post
    The Austrians roll their R's similarly to the Slavs. Most Germans pronounce it like the French.

I pronounced it like the French too. That was not considered an attractive trait. My parents took me to a speech therapist.

4. Collapse Details
    The Austrians roll their R's similarly to the Slavs. Most Germans pronounce it like the French.

I pronounced it like the French too. That was not considered an attractive trait. My parents took me to a speech therapist.
    They had speech therapy classes in my elementary school. I had a class a week for several years for... you guessed it... my R's.

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Run&Gun View Post
    They had speech therapy classes in my elementary school. I had a class a week for several years for... you guessed it... my R's.
    My throaty R's made me sound too stereotypically Jewish, which didn't play well in the USSR. I, obviously, had to readjust to the American English. After forty years here, I still have a hint of an accent of an uncertain origin. I sounded closer to a Yakov Smirnoff type back in the 80's - he exaggerates his for the comedic effect a little - but have worked at it to sound more like a native American speaker.

Looking at the sounds, one has to relearn pretty much all of them off a Russian diction. On a music thread, I once posted a clip of a very popular (and very cute) Soviet era singer performing the Beatles' "Fool on the hill" in English when that was allowed in 1986 but, because she couldn't control her vowels and digraphs, she sang it as "Full on ze heel".

I even got into a little online scuffle with a very popular Soviet era band vocalist as he did some other Beatles song with a pretty heavy accent. And he did it in the UK for a Beatles based event where the band was a special guest.

https://www.thoughtco.com/sounds-in-...nguage-3111166

6. Collapse Details
    My throaty R's made me sound too stereotypically Jewish, which didn't play well in the USSR. I, obviously, had to readjust to the American English. After forty years here, I still have a hint of an accent of an uncertain origin. I sounded closer to a Yakov Smirnoff type back in the 80's - he exaggerates his for the comedic effect a little - but have worked at it to sound more like a native American speaker.
    Back then, mine were a little closer to this. Lol

killwabbit.jpg

tenor.gif

7. Collapse Details
    I had also problems with "L", where I was doing a Polish "W". But my parents must have thought, "The poor kid spent enough time at the therapist's office. Woe is him". I think I was five at the time. I worked on my "L's" for the following decade. Oddly enough, it was easier for me to do the English version.

Other sounds were also work in progress. In the summer of 1980 (only 40 years ago!), I was working at a warehouse with other high schoolers/college students. We were talking baseball, where I opined how much I hated the New York Yan-kees. A coworker immediately caught up - he was playing bass in a band, had a good ear - and told me that "n" was a digraph and a different sound than a stand-alone "n".

In Russian, even an American "j" is spelled as "dj", so every John and Jake is of two different letters/sounds. More mental notes to make.

As to "R's", here are my "L's too'.

When I first saw the skit, I didn't get the joke. An American had to explain it to me.

8. Collapse Details
    PS. ARRI is Arnold und Richter or AR-RI. Now, who can tell a Bavarian R from a Viennese one?
    me.

9. Collapse Details
    In the summer of 1980 (only 40 years ago!), I was working at a warehouse with other high schoolers/college students..
    wait. You were working at a warehouse? Before or after your legendary 100m dash run?

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Clermond View Post
    wait. You were working at a warehouse? Before or after your legendary 100m dash run?
    We did a lot of silly stuff there. Played soccer and football using a rolled up piece of foam packing wrapped into shape by a masking tape. Once we played tag - just tossing the foam pack at other players - and one of the guys decided to be clever and move to a lower floor (we were on the 5th) via the fire escape. Otherwise, he would have had to take an elevator and definitely be subjected to some venomous tosses. He swung one of his legs over the wall and was about to swing the other, only to discover that he was in the wrong window. The fire escape was one slot over. And he was this close to taking a leap onto a sidewalk from about seventy feet.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456