Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by combatentropy View Post
    I think in this instance I will try to say Bayer how Bayer said Bayer.
    Brilliant!

Things you can do in writing that you cannot do in film.

This was one of the reasons that Denis Villeneuve turned down 'Arrival', initially. And it is a reason why I dislike it when script writers are too caught up in the format of script writing, as they often revert to things that work well in writing, but don't particularly translate well to the screen.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

2. Collapse Details
    I actually think it's a problem to conceptualize or at least have to describe the film in words instead of images first

3. Collapse Details
    You say tow-may-tow, I say toe-mah-tow...

I wouldn’t want to attend a horse-riding & steer-lassoing event with someone who is used to shopping on LA’s Rodeo Drive.

‘Enry ‘Iggins claimed he could use the accent, dialect and pronunciation choices of a person to narrow down their London place of birth to within a few blocks. Wouldn’t that be loverly?

None of this matters, all languages transform over time, and their shifts are often as arbitrary as the fashion of hairstyles and lengths of hemlines.

And don’t call me Shirley.
    Mitch Gross
    NYC

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitch Gross View Post
    Well just ask the family of Andrew Carnegie, pronounced “kar-NEG-ee”. Carnegie Mellon University and Carnegie Hall use the pronunciation “KAR-neh-gee” even though Andrew Carnegie himself funded them into being.
    I think the accent in that name falls under what I mentioned earlier about word stressing in English. In this case I'm pretty sure the stress is changing to make Carnegie flow better with the word following it, because I realized I pronounce the name two different ways based on what follows.

If I say Carnegie Mellon, it has a better flow to me to say it as KAR nuh ghee MEH lun.

If I say the Carnegie Corporation, it sounds better to me to say it as the Kar NEH ghee cor per AY shun.

If I try to reverse the stressing for the Carnegie Corporation, it doesn't sound as nice, because the stress patterns don't match as well (NEH ghee and AY shun end in the same stress pattern.)
    If I try to reverse the stressing for Carnegie Mellon, it's a mouthful and becomes more of a tongue twister if I say the word pairing fast - I have to take a slight pause between each word. Again, the stress patterns also don't match as well (KAR nuh and MEH lun start with the same stress patterns).

None of this matters, all languages transform over time, and their shifts are often as arbitrary as the fashion of hairstyles and lengths of hemlines.
    Surely you're not trying to say we need to give up pedantry. Where's the fun in that? I want my internet points.
    Last edited by Joshua Cadmium; 09-23-2020 at 02:34 PM.

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Joshua Cadmium View Post
    Surely you're not trying to say we need to give up pedantry. Where's the fun in that? I want my internet points.
    Hey, I said don't call me Shirley!
    Mitch Gross
    NYC

6. Collapse Details
    Mitch please - I was just joshing around.

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Joshua Cadmium View Post
    Mitch please - I was just joshing around.
    Ahhhh... I see what you did there.

8. Collapse Details
    ... I wouldn’t want to attend a horse-riding & steer-lassoing event with someone who is used to shopping on LA’s Rodeo Drive...
    Let's not forget that LA also used to have the Rodeo Road.

As to mangled and manacled names, it's common everywhere. The English speaking world even renamed the entire German cities - München into Munich, Braunschweig into Brunswick, Nürnberg into Nuremberg, Köln into Cologne. The Eye-talians don't escape either where Venezia is Venice, Firenze is Florence, Roma is Rome and Napoli is Naples. Of course, the Germans pronounce Napoli as Neapel and Milan as Mailand. I say it's all bologna.

9. Collapse Details
    PS. ARRI is Arnold und Richter or AR-RI. Now, who can tell a Bavarian R from a Viennese one?

10. Collapse Details
    And, btw, it's Bayrische Motoren Werke, not BMW.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast