Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by rbirnbaum View Post
    Don't hold your breath. This could work or it could blow up... Still in the development phase and I don't want any dissapointments. I would suggest you always get a body with an IF Box whether this project takes off or not. At the price the cameras are selling these days, don't skimp on ANY accesories. Get it all. EVF, handles... all of it... Unless you are happy with ProResHQ 422, which again, is a dream. Think that the camera does all the internal processing for the codec. It's a magic downconversion. But yeah, I get it... we all want 4444444444444444
    For sure.

I would still get the things I need. But it would be fun to still imagine that pipe dream ;)

C
    IATSE Local 600 Western Region1st Assistant Camera
    Associate Member of the S.O.C.

2. Collapse Details
    Stop stalking the forum, buy an F35 and start shooting with it again. And share some projects you shot with it. We are always looking for more meat and less bread. Too much technical talk in the forum. Spread the ART!
    Haha, love the F35 but for my style it's just too big especially with the Odyssey 7Q. Waiting for Yachacha to commercialize his carbon fiber setup ;) I mostly Direct/DP my stuff and am often times the only person on set aside from talent. I went with the F3 because I could build it out like a doc style cam. Pretty happy with the trade offs.

Here was the project I was talking about (was a contest video with a quick turnaround): https://vimeo.com/336839196 (Lensed with the old Sony primes)

Learned a lot more about grading original slog since then but love how the F35 starts at such a good looking base.

3. Collapse Details
    Quad 4? Well, you could use something that most of us own... an Odyssey 7Q/+ they have quad input. Look at the image.

Note: 444 12 bit isn't supported from the IF Box rear output. If you neeeeed 12 bit 444 50p.... look elsewhere or buy an extra IF box... IMO, true RGB out of the sensor in 10bit is a dream.

Attachment 140542
    Very cool project. Wish you luck!

But what you mean 444 12 bit isn't supported from the IF Box rear output? It is. The camera send 12-bit 444 out from the if box when if box is connected to the rear. Or you mean only 50p? Because 24p 12-bit 444 works out of if box from the rear.

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by SJX View Post
    Very cool project. Wish you luck!

But what you mean 444 12 bit isn't supported from the IF Box rear output? It is. The camera send 12-bit 444 out from the if box when if box is connected to the rear. Or you mean only 50p? Because 24p 12-bit 444 works out of if box from the rear.
    Yes only 50p 444 10 bit. By the IF Box rear output I mean the dock connectors on top and rear of the camera.

If you look at the specs of the SRW-1 that tells you what you can get... unless... and this is why I am trying to get hold of the Fiber optic system too, unless that system may trigger 50p 4444 12bit... but no one knows, cause we never tried. But if it does, then the idea is to emulate the CA vs the SRW-1, makes sense? The CAF101 is basically a slave of all the outputs from the camera. But the F35 may be limited to 50p 444 10 bit even though 50p 444 is an option that can be chosen in the camera settings. We know it would be available with 2 IF boxes... but who wants to shoot with 2 IF boxes. Also, and this is something I wasn’t aware until today, is that the max frame rate of the Odyssey at 444 12 Bit is 30fps... so we are kind of in a dead end. However when the SRW-1 is docked it says that 12 bit in 50p 444 is “not supported” which makes sense because the SRW-1 never was able to record 12bit. Even with the Códex wet dock emulator I get the same error.

That’s why I need to find the CAF101 for testing. Then we can untangle all of this. Since the CAF101 was built to connect to the SRW-1, again it may be limited to 10bit... who knows? Or does anyone know? The main thing I want to know is whether we are getting rec flags out of the STW-1 sdi’s. If that works we can skip an extra cable called the GPIO that triggers enables rec trigger.
    Last edited by rbirnbaum; 09-18-2020 at 05:44 PM.

5. Collapse Details
    Also, and this is something I wasn’t aware until today, is that the max frame rate of the Odyssey at 444 12 Bit is 30fps... so we are kind of in a dead end.
    Yeah, I was about to post this. Not to rain on your parade, but CD declared the Odyssey EOL and there won't be any future development (they still service & support them). The only way I could see this working is if you could somehow get a box that would convert the 12-bit 444 output to mirror the signal structure put out by the original Canon C500 (not the current C500-II). IIRC, Odyssey will support that in 12-bit 444 up to 60p (but I could be wrong so you should check -- it's been years since I dealt with those specs).
    Mitch Gross
    NYC

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitch Gross View Post
    Yeah, I was about to post this. Not to rain on your parade, but CD declared the Odyssey EOL and there won't be any future development (they still service & support them). The only way I could see this working is if you could somehow get a box that would convert the 12-bit 444 output to mirror the signal structure put out by the original Canon C500 (not the current C500-II). IIRC, Odyssey will support that in 12-bit 444 up to 60p (but I could be wrong so you should check -- it's been years since I dealt with those specs).
    Mitch, thanks man. I don’t think the camera outputs 50p 12bit 4444 from a single dock, so I am not looking to record on that mode. Yes the Odyssey will die slowly. Great news for F35 users because you can grab them real cheap. CD were nice enough, under your patronage, to implement some changes for us... that was already huge for the community.

The idea of getting Quad SDI, which the Odyssey record, is that we get 50p 444 10bit vs 422 10bit. That true RGB is what most of us are after, so it’s great news.

7. Collapse Details
    Is the Odyssey even capable of recording quad link from the F35? It is my understanding they had to do some tweaking to be able to record dual link from the F35 in the first place.

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by dhessel View Post
    Is the Odyssey even capable of recording quad link from the F35? It is my understanding they had to do some tweaking to be able to record dual link from the F35 in the first place.
    Yo, check the picture I posted. I thought an image was worth a thousand words.
    Quad link out of the box. No special nothing. I thought the main thing they did was psf... but I can’t remember. Maybe it was dual link, maybe dual link automatically opened up quad link... Maybe Mitch can recall when he was still a teenager... Hahaha... Who cares, right? It works. Just selected the record mode and the odyssey picked it up. 50p 10 bit RGB right out of the box. They packed a lot of features into the Odyssey. Quite amazing really. If only the screen was at least 1000nits... ha!

Maybe we should start Modding the Odyssey too. Who wants to give it a shot.

9. Collapse Details
    It’s all a blur to me now, but I’m pretty sure we did it for the various modes including 50p.
    Mitch Gross
    NYC

10. Collapse Details
    Totally missed that post. Thanks its good to know that its an option, I recall talk of quad link to the Odyssey but couldn't recall anyone actually trying it.

Yo, check the picture I posted. I thought an image was worth a thousand words.
    Quad link out of the box. No special nothing. I thought the main thing they did was psf... but I can’t remember. Maybe it was dual link, maybe dual link automatically opened up quad link... Maybe Mitch can recall when he was still a teenager... Hahaha... Who cares, right? It works. Just selected the record mode and the odyssey picked it up. 50p 10 bit RGB right out of the box. They packed a lot of features into the Odyssey. Quite amazing really. If only the screen was at least 1000nits... ha!

Maybe we should start Modding the Odyssey too. Who wants to give it a shot.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast