Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Atomos NINJA V Audio Delay Setting C100MKII
    Quick question. There's a setting (see screenshot attached) on my NINJA V which allows adjusting for any audio delay that the camera may have over HDMI to the NINJA. I'm using the C100MKII, and was wondering from people here if they know what the delay is for this camera. I know from reading, that some DSLR cameras, like Sonys or Panasonics may have 2-3 frames of delay, but not sure of the C100MKII. I of course tried it, and I can't objectively tell of any delay. So I had my Audio Delay setting at 0 on the NINJA. But then I though to go all the way to 5 and even 10 to see what the result would be, and the result is the same - no delay.

So out of curiosity, I have 2 questions:

1. C100MKII owners that use the NINJA V, any delay you notice?

2. If no delay, like I'm subjectively seeing, then wouldn't setting it to 5 or 10 frames make it actually have the audio be 5 or 10 frames *before* the video?

Curious about this. I tested with the onboard mic as well as a Sennheiser 416 XLR mic I'm planning to use. Again, comparing audio from internal cards to external NINJA files, I don't notice delay, no matter the setting.

2. Collapse Details
    It's been a while so IDR exactly, but make sure you're delaying your frames for the HDMI feed and not the Ninja's mic input (which seems like you're not using).

I used this feature before [with HDMI] and there was definitely a delay difference.

3. Collapse Details
    My memory is the delay is only required when you need to match/sync (audio input directly to the Ninja via the audio connection) to the HDMI video stream recorded from the camera. If using the audio in the HDMI, it is already in sync and requires no adjustment. Open to correction if I am not remembering this correctly.

B

4. Collapse Details
    I used the audio delay with a Sony a6300 and an external microphone going into the camera. I was filming sports and noticed the sounds from sticks/bats hitting the ball delayed so I used that feature to bring it back 2-3 frames.

When you critically listen to the sounds in post after a ball hits a bat, it's about 2-3 frames after visually seeing it which looks and sounds right when watching it in real time, but it was off 5-6 and looked/sounded bad so I corrected it with that feature above.

5. Collapse Details
    Thanks for the replies. Yes, the setting is for HDMI. I just don't see a delay, which maybe the C100 doesn't have over HDMI. So that's good, but my second question was if I do dial in a delay - exaggerated like 10frames, shouldn't I see a difference? Shouldn't the sound now be before the image (since my C100 we're assuming has 0 delay)? I see no difference, no matter what setting I use..

Maybe this is more of an issue with DLSRs, not cinema cameras. Still, strange it would have zero effect one way or another.

6. Collapse Details
    Maybe I'm not remembering my setup correctly and I was recording into the Ninja V - but yes, you should definitely hear/see a delay when it works properly.

7. Collapse Details
    Yes, you will hear a distinct difference.

8. Collapse Details
    Hmm. I don't, so that's why I was asking. And it's clear that the audio track lines up properly in Premiere with the video track. So perhaps if a camera has 0 delay, such as the C100MK2 I guess, then the setting is meaningless, because it cannot make the sound go before the video.

9. Collapse Details
    Look at the audio waveforms and check...did you try that?

When I compared mine, I clearly saw the spikes/peaks/louder noises on the audio track of the original audio 5-6 frames after the delayed/corrected audio.

This feature affects only your ProRes files that are being created through HDMI; not your camera's internal audio.
    Last edited by NorBro; 09-17-2020 at 10:30 PM. Reason: Elaborated for clarity.

10. Collapse Details
    This feature only works if you are putting audio directly into the Atomos to sync with the video feed coming in via HDMI. It does not work on audio embedded in the HDMI stream acquired at/by the camera. sorry, but words alone make this difficult to explain.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast