Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Run&Gun View Post
    Expensive is kind of relative.

I actually think the Flowtechs are a great deal.
    So you've been able to treat them just like a tripod? Not trying to be sarcastic. I have a Vinten, the people I work with use Sachtler, O'Conner, etc. You expensive stuff that lasts forever. So after using it a while, your Flowtech feels up to those?

Thanks!
    ----------
    Jim Feeley
    POV Media

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Run&Gun View Post
    Expensive is kind of relative.

I actually think the Flowtechs are a great deal. Speaking directly about the 100mm’s(because that’s what I have), even buying them on initial release, it cost me less to get into a full set(legs, mid-spreader, feet & handle) than it does(did) a 100mm set of Speedlocks(legs, mid-spreader & feet).
    I actually have the predecessor to the flow tech (which has a design flaw with the locking mechanism). I still love it and use it. By expensive, I mean I have many pieces of equipment. I've found it better to have more tools than just one really expensive. For example I must have 5 different tripods. One has a center column that allows me to get up really high over people's heads, another as a lock light lock off, another with a good smooth pro head, etc. So If I only had one camera and tripod that I used exclusively yeah I wouldn't care about the price. One other thing I don't care for is the non cylindrical legs. I often need to mount a Atomos monitor on a magic arm that gets clamped to the legs.

3. Collapse Details
    Even if you have multiple tripods, it usually makes sense to have one good one. I have a good and heavy one, an okay light one, and a few cheap dogs for lock-offs. Which sucks when you occasionally have to operate the lock-offs

But yeah, a good tripod is very expensive. So is a good camera, but the tripod will be useful for way longer
    Last edited by ahalpert; 12-24-2020 at 01:09 PM.

4. Collapse Details
    I have these sticks. They re fantastic. Every time I change height I remember what a PITA is was before. If you can get a good deal on these legs, take it.
    "There is nothing permanent except change."
    Heraclitus

www.liamhall.net
    TWITTER: @WordsbyLiam
    INSTAGRAM: @picsbyliam

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter C. View Post
    often need to mount a Atomos monitor on a magic arm that gets clamped to the legs.
    FYI, the Flowtech tripods ( I own a 75mm and two 100mm) all have three 3/8" sockets at the base of the head (between each leg) for mounting accessory arms, handles, straps, or whatever you want. Clamping something to the legs and possibly damaging the carbon fiber is not needed. I appreciate the shape of the legs every time I have to carry the sticks a long distance on my shoulder.

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug Jensen View Post
    FYI, the Flowtech tripods ( I own a 75mm and two 100mm) all have three 3/8" sockets at the base of the head (between each leg) for mounting accessory arms, handles, straps, or whatever you want. Clamping something to the legs and possibly damaging the carbon fiber is not needed. I appreciate the shape of the legs every time I have to carry the sticks a long distance on my shoulder.
    Thanks Doug. Good to know that would work for most situations. Often when I'm filming in theaters, I have to have the camera up high but I need to film from a sitting position so as not block the view of audience behind me. That's why I mount the monitor down low on the leg. But that 3/8 socket would work for standing position work.

Ok I'm going to buy one! When's the next sale? :-)

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter C. View Post
    Ok I'm going to buy one! When's the next sale? :-)
    I'm not sure if it will happen this year, but last year at the end of the year, B&H reactivated all the year's deal zones at the same time. It might have been the week after Christmas.

If they did that, I'd be very tempted to get a flowtech. But I think I'd hold back with the if it ain't broke dont fix it mantra. Most of the time that I have to move fast, I'm no longer on a tripod anyway

But they sound sweet

PS is anyone using an Aktiv head?

8. Collapse Details
    Camera Conspiracies nit picked your camera today
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mROiYAUraSg

9. Collapse Details
    So it goes. I won't be committing seppuku

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Feeley View Post
    So you've been able to treat them just like a tripod? Not trying to be sarcastic. I have a Vinten, the people I work with use Sachtler, O'Conner, etc. You expensive stuff that lasts forever. So after using it a while, your Flowtech feels up to those?

Thanks!
    I'll put it this way: My first tripod(back in the 90's) was a set of Vinten CF Pozi-Locks(100mm). Then I bought a set of Sachtler CF Speedlocks(100mm). Then another set of CF Speedlocks(100mm). Then a set of HD(heavy duty) CF Speedlocks(100mm). And a Vinten mini pedestal that came with the 250 I bought last year. The Pozi-Locks shuffled off 13 years ago. All of the Speedlocks are still working perfectly. But the Flowtechs are my hands down favorite set. They are my 'A'/day-to-day set. I've even put my Vinten 250 on them. They are not rated to take the payload that the HD Speedlocks can(200lbs+), BUT they are way more rigid with no perceptible torsional twisting or backlash. And as Doug mentions, the shape of the legs are great when you actually put them on your shoulder to carry. A buddy of mine actually bought two pair after seeing mine right after I got them when they came out. My only real complaint is that the magnets for keeping the legs closed for transport are actually WAY too strong. And my biggest suggestion for a tweak would be to make the hinges tensioned like on Gitzo's, so that you could operate without a spreader, if you'd like.

Sachtler and Vinten really nailed this one.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast