Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Davinci Resolve Noise
    Hello,

I am editing some footage and I have an adjustment layer above the timeline with a grade, and the I have corrected each clip individually with several nodes (raise/lower exposure, add, remove contrast). But now the problem exists that there is noise in the footage after the correction/grading, or better said yje image is muddy. What did I do wrong, and how to avoid this.

Cant I add contrast in several nodes, and take it away/ raise shadows in the end?

Pocket 6k footage = rendered as mp4 best settings.

Here is an example ==> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0riAOlO18E

Thanks!
    Last edited by Polaroid22; 09-16-2020 at 10:25 AM.

2. Collapse Details
    Muddy and noisy, sounds like you are lifting the shadows.

If you just want a clean lifted shadow look, you can use the curves tool on the last node, and move the black point, that may help. And run a denoise if you want extra clean.
    Last edited by James0b57; 09-16-2020 at 01:14 PM.

3. Collapse Details
    Yeah just checked all my nodes, there is no shadows lifted with the shadows control.
    but I did with the lift ( lift game gain ) primary wheels. But no dramatic changes though.

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Polaroid22 View Post
    Yeah just checked all my nodes, there is no shadows lifted with the shadows control.
    but I did with the lift ( lift game gain ) primary wheels. But no dramatic changes though.
    If you use the "wheels" to raise the shadows, you will get noise. Whereas using the curves tool, you can raise the black point, which gives the faded look without much added noise.

5. Collapse Details
    My personal preference with any form of log footage is to do a mathematically correct managed color space transform in Resolve to whatever your reference monitor or delivery color space is. Most of the time that is REC709 2.4 gamma in Resolve though lately I have been playing with REC709 HLG transforms a bit. Then adjust basic grayscale values using the raw menu tools for exposure, highlight and shadow recovery. Use lift and gain adjustments sparingly to fine tune middle gray. Same for white balance, color saturation and and color boost. All referenced to the scopes and the color picker values. The objective is to get to a near perfect neutrally balanced "best light" image in the raw menu as a starting point for creative grading with downstream nodes.
    Directly grading log footage effectively is not a simple task.

A short workflow tutorial I did for my Bolex peeps. Give it a try. Same principles apply to Braw.

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by James0b57 View Post
    If you use the "wheels" to raise the shadows, you will get noise. Whereas using the curves tool, you can raise the black point, which gives the faded look without much added noise.
    Thanks. Just to be sure. The shadows slider will introduce noise as well right? I am not going for a faded look, but the shadows got a bit dark and wanted to bring some light back into them.
    I usually als set exposure right with the offset of the primaries wheels. But that will prolly also give noise?
    As the shots are prores, I do not have access to the raw tabs, so I should expose with curves?
    Last edited by Polaroid22; 09-16-2020 at 11:17 PM.

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Razz16mm View Post
    My personal preference with any form of log footage is to do a mathematically correct managed color space transform in Resolve to whatever your reference monitor or delivery color space is. Most of the time that is REC709 2.4 gamma in Resolve though lately I have been playing with REC709 HLG transforms a bit. Then adjust basic grayscale values using the raw menu tools for exposure, highlight and shadow recovery. Use lift and gain adjustments sparingly to fine tune middle gray. Same for white balance, color saturation and and color boost. All referenced to the scopes and the color picker values. The objective is to get to a near perfect neutrally balanced "best light" image in the raw menu as a starting point for creative grading with downstream nodes.
    Directly grading log footage effectively is not a simple task.

A short workflow tutorial I did for my Bolex peeps. Give it a try. Same principles apply to Braw.

Thanks, will check the video later. But the shots are prores and no braw. so no access to the raw tabs im afraid.

8. Collapse Details
    Colorspace conversion would still apply and save you a lot of hassle as a starting point.

9. Collapse Details
    Thanks. Just to be sure. The shadows slider will introduce noise as well right? I am not going for a faded look, but the shadows got a bit dark and wanted to bring some light back into them.
    I usually als set exposure right with the offset of the primaries wheels. But that will prolly also give noise?
    As the shots are prores, I do not have access to the raw tabs, so I should expose with curves?
    Then just go with Razz's advice. I misunderstood your goals.

Cant I add contrast in several nodes, and take it away/ raise shadows in the end?

10. Collapse Details
    I think the point of 32bit float is that no order of operation or which tools you use make any difference - you cant get it wrong like that in Resolve.

Moving from log to 709 always helps you to see the noise that is in a file - simply you are boosting contrast and sat - which exagerates, to the eye, noise.

IMO noise in shadows is made nicer with reduction in shadow saturation

Beyond that you need to play with noise reduction. IMO properly shot footage rarely needs NR.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast