Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 40
  1. Collapse Details
    #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    402
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by Vino View Post
    Anyone tried the Sony RXO ii?
    The Sony RX0 II is much better in terms of overheating than the original RX0 (which was terrible), but it's still capable of overheating in longer duration record especially in warmer environments. These are the recording times Sony says can be expected in the RX0 II manual:

    RX0-II-Overheating.jpg

    In terms of image quality, the RX0 is quite a bit better than a GoPro or other action cameras, likely due to the larger 1-inch sensor in the RX0. You also have way more control over the image in the RX0 since you have customizable picture profiles, custom white balance settings, S-Log2, a lot of the things you might find in a larger Sony camera or camcorder.

    The lens on the RX0 is a 24mm full-frame equivalent, which isn't nearly as wide an angle of view as the more fisheye lens on a GoPro, which could be good or bad, depending on what you want to capture. The image stabilization is better in the more recent GoPros and the GoPros also have better high frame rate modes for slow motion capture, including 4K 60, 2.7K 120, and 1080p 240, whereas the RX0 can only do 4K 30 and 1080p 120 (although it does have some 2-second and 4-second duration higher frame rate burst modes like on the RX100).

    Ultimately, this means the RX0 is less suitable for typical action camera applications where the higher frame rates, wider field of view, and better stabilization of a GoPro are often desirable. Which may explain why the RX0 hasn't been a huge seller. But for other situations where you don't really need an action camera, but still need to use a very small camera, then the RX0 can often deliver a better image.

    In terms of reliability though there's not really a clear advantage since the RX0 II can still overheat when recording internally. And in terms of recording time on a single battery, the RX0 is actually a bit worse than a GoPro.


    Reply With Quote
     

  2. Collapse Details
    #22
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by davedv View Post
    The Sony RX0 II is much better in terms of overheating than the original RX0 (which was terrible), but it's still capable of overheating in longer duration record especially in warmer environments. These are the recording times Sony says can be expected in the RX0 II manual:

    RX0-II-Overheating.jpg

    In terms of image quality, the RX0 is quite a bit better than a GoPro or other action cameras, likely due to the larger 1-inch sensor in the RX0. You also have way more control over the image in the RX0 since you have customizable picture profiles, custom white balance settings, S-Log2, a lot of the things you might find in a larger Sony camera or camcorder.

    The lens on the RX0 is a 24mm full-frame equivalent, which isn't nearly as wide an angle of view as the more fisheye lens on a GoPro, which could be good or bad, depending on what you want to capture. The image stabilization is better in the more recent GoPros and the GoPros also have better high frame rate modes for slow motion capture, including 4K 60, 2.7K 120, and 1080p 240, whereas the RX0 can only do 4K 30 and 1080p 120 (although it does have some 2-second and 4-second duration higher frame rate burst modes like on the RX100).

    Ultimately, this means the RX0 is less suitable for typical action camera applications where the higher frame rates, wider field of view, and better stabilization of a GoPro are often desirable. Which may explain why the RX0 hasn't been a huge seller. But for other situations where you don't really need an action camera, but still need to use a very small camera, then the RX0 can often deliver a better image.

    In terms of reliability though there's not really a clear advantage since the RX0 II can still overheat when recording internally. And in terms of recording time on a single battery, the RX0 is actually a bit worse than a GoPro.
    Thank u for this. Wasnt aware of the overheating issue with the RX0.
    I wonder if insta360 1:inch could be a best of both worlds? Anyone tried it? Too much sharpening or workable?
    ( about the Oversharpening here: https://www.google.se/amp/s/www.reds...%3fhs_amp=true
    Last edited by Vino; 09-17-2020 at 08:39 PM.


    Reply With Quote
     

  3. Collapse Details
    #23
    Senior Member puredrifting's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Los Angeles, Ca.
    Posts
    11,045
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by davedv View Post
    The Sony RX0 II is much better in terms of overheating than the original RX0 (which was terrible), but it's still capable of overheating in longer duration record especially in warmer environments. These are the recording times Sony says can be expected in the RX0 II manual:

    RX0-II-Overheating.jpg

    In terms of image quality, the RX0 is quite a bit better than a GoPro or other action cameras, likely due to the larger 1-inch sensor in the RX0. You also have way more control over the image in the RX0 since you have customizable picture profiles, custom white balance settings, S-Log2, a lot of the things you might find in a larger Sony camera or camcorder.

    The lens on the RX0 is a 24mm full-frame equivalent, which isn't nearly as wide an angle of view as the more fisheye lens on a GoPro, which could be good or bad, depending on what you want to capture. The image stabilization is better in the more recent GoPros and the GoPros also have better high frame rate modes for slow motion capture, including 4K 60, 2.7K 120, and 1080p 240, whereas the RX0 can only do 4K 30 and 1080p 120 (although it does have some 2-second and 4-second duration higher frame rate burst modes like on the RX100).

    Ultimately, this means the RX0 is less suitable for typical action camera applications where the higher frame rates, wider field of view, and better stabilization of a GoPro are often desirable. Which may explain why the RX0 hasn't been a huge seller. But for other situations where you don't really need an action camera, but still need to use a very small camera, then the RX0 can often deliver a better image.

    In terms of reliability though there's not really a clear advantage since the RX0 II can still overheat when recording internally. And in terms of recording time on a single battery, the RX0 is actually a bit worse than a GoPro.
    Wow, talk about the opposite of what we need. We shoot women outrigger paddlers, the only time we can even turn on an action camera attached to their canoe is when they leave the shore for the starting line. To get to the
    starting line alone can take 45 minutes at long harbors like Marina del Rey and the Newport Back Bay. Then they wait around for staging (up to 200 40' canoes have to line up on the line, whcih takes 15-30 minutes), then the race begins, which for the front runners typically lasts
    2.5 to 3.5 hours. The boats never stop or slow down, no opportunity to stop or start or change batteries. We had two Go Pros record 2.7k 60p for five hours at the Newport to Catalina race in 2018, they captured the entire
    race but several of the others in the same boat died about 3 hours in. We used the biggest ReFuel batteries, these were the Hero 5s and 6s. We got some killer footage but missed some incredible stuff too.

    Needs like this are why I would pay $1,500.00 for a real action camera, not a plasticky, junky GoPro. Even small mirrorless or something like a ZCam E2, in a waterproof housing are far too large, bulky and weigh too much so we are stuck with Go Pros.
    We have put as many as a dozen on one boat to try to get a few that actually work.
    It's a business first and a creative outlet second.
    G.A.S. destroys lives. Stop buying gear that doesn't make you money.


    Reply With Quote
     

  4. Collapse Details
    #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    145
    Default
    Not waterproof but this looks interesting ...

    https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...d_sony.html/qa

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...ature=emb_logo

    Lenses would be the biggest part ... but MF and somewhat shallow DOF ....


    Reply With Quote
     

  5. Collapse Details
    #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    145
    Default
    My favorite anamorphic lens provider ...

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kZf...ature=youtu.be

    Picking up the RX0 II tomorrow ... beats carrying the 1DX III and cine lenses when on walk-about.


    Reply With Quote
     

  6. Collapse Details
    #26
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,967
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by puredrifting View Post
    ...... I would pay $1,500.00 for a real action camera, not a plasticky, junky GoPro. .
    Me too. If only someone would make one.


    Reply With Quote
     

  7. Collapse Details
    #27
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    West of the Pecos
    Posts
    2,523
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by Clermond View Post
    that's a good question but on the other hand who would by a company that is is rumoured BK? And why? It's not a brand (name) like Hasselblad. ...
    Like Olympus, a company that is not financially healthy may be bought for reasons other than it's financial statement. There may be value in a company's market share, brand recognition, patents, sales force, customer base, blah, blah. I was part of a group that evaluated a competitor. It's products were antiquated and of no value. We wanted it because it had a 100% lock on one customer and we wanted that customer.


    Reply With Quote
     

  8. Collapse Details
    #28
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    206
    Default
    As with any piece of kit, YMMV. But: I have had excellent success using the "Refuel" power system on the GoPro 7, and hooking up an Anker power core battery to the GoPro 8 for almost all day shooting. Obviously not that useful for handheld shooting, but for in-car or timelapse/overhead mounted shooting, has been working well for me.


    Reply With Quote
     

  9. Collapse Details
    #29
    Senior Member puredrifting's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Los Angeles, Ca.
    Posts
    11,045
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by captslomo View Post
    As with any piece of kit, YMMV. But: I have had excellent success using the "Refuel" power system on the GoPro 7, and hooking up an Anker power core battery to the GoPro 8 for almost all day shooting. Obviously not that useful for handheld shooting, but for in-car or timelapse/overhead mounted shooting, has been working well for me.
    That so weird because I tried the Refuel extended battery with our Go Pro Hero 7 and it would stop recording after one second, everytime. I tried it three times, then gave up. So incredibly frustrating.
    It's a business first and a creative outlet second.
    G.A.S. destroys lives. Stop buying gear that doesn't make you money.


    Reply With Quote
     

  10. Collapse Details
    #30
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Kirkland, WA
    Posts
    85
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by Publimix View Post
    Is there a good alternative for the Gopro? (With better battery life).
    For in-car video I use a Sony RX0 Mk II all the time. Works much better, with some weird quirks. Battery life isn't great, but it's easy to rig it with a USB-power pack or connect to a car USB socket.
    Ryan Douthit, Producer
    MediaSpigot LLC // Driving Sports TV
    http://www.mediaspigot.com


    Reply With Quote
     

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •