Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Publimix View Post
    Is there a good alternative for the Gopro? (With better battery life).
    And that's the million dollar question... Unfortunately, I don't really have the answer.

I know there are options besides GoPro, now, but I do not have any first hand experience with them. Especially since I try to avoid "GoPro's" as much as I can, to begin with. But sometimes they are a necessary evil.

This new one is supposed to have (manufacturer claimed) ~30% longer battery life, though.

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Publimix View Post
    Is there a good alternative for the Gopro? (With better battery life).
    Z cam? Not the same thing but they're small

3. Collapse Details
    Pure drifting and I discussed these action cams on here before and both agree that we'd pay more if someone would actually make a good one. These things all seem to have hassles and dependability issues. I love the things you can do with them but for client jobs it's a scary deal

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by firehawk View Post
    Pure drifting and I discussed these action cams on here before and both agree that we'd pay more if someone would actually make a good one. These things all seem to have hassles and dependability issues. I love the things you can do with them but for client jobs it's a scary deal
    Yep, we've discussed that a lot a few years ago since I used a dozen of them to help shoot our docu series about women outrigger paddlers.
    The failure rate for us (this was in 2018) was as high as 60% on some shoots. They randomly stop recording, shut down with plenty of battery,
    overheat, write corrupt files. It's simple, if you HAVE to use Go Pros for client work, one is none, two is one and three are two.

So to shoot a Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee setup, I would use no less than six Go Pros to get those three shots. That way, when one fails or
    stops recording, you have it's replacement right next to it, doubling your chances for success. Oh, and they are terrible in anything other than
    bright sunlight. Anything with blacks in it or marginally low light is noisy as hell. I stopped at the Hero 7. Thankfully, I will hopefully never shoot another project where
    I need to rely on Go Pros again.

Go Pros really are a paradox, they've captured some incredible shots for me, but they've made me gnash my teeth in fustration and missed
    numerous once in a lifetime moments as well when they have failed. Rule of thumb is each Go Pro is two Go Pros. That gives you a fighting
    chance of capturing your shot.
    It's a business first and a creative outlet second.
    G.A.S. destroys lives. Stop buying gear that doesn't make you money.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

5. Collapse Details
    Its really a double edged Sword. I've captured footage that I could only get from a GoPro in some situations. I've also missed once in a lifetime shots also because of Gorpo Reliability issues.

One thing is for sure: the GoPro 8 Produced the best picture I've ever got from a GoPro, and the stabilisation was great. I'll probably get one because its really cheap and I'll end up using it for the same shots I've used before.

But I do have to say, they are unreliable. They are well built, sturdy, but they do corrupt files . The problem with their corrupt files is that it makes the whole shot unusable. it just hangs. For me it happened with a Go Pro Max and a Go Pro 7.
    SÚrgio Perez
    Macanese Director
    http://vimeo.com/user1503556

6. Collapse Details
    Anyone tried the Sony RXO ii?

7. Collapse Details
    I use GoPros when I have to but I've never liked the image, the interface or the lack of reliability. I have a 7 currently and don't look forward to dealing with it. I also have an old Sony FDR-X3000 which I think is superior to the GoPro in pretty much every way, with optical stabilization etc., but it unfortunately hasn't been updated in years. Least not that i'm aware of.

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by markoconnell View Post
    I use GoPros when I have to but I've never liked the image, the interface or the lack of reliability. I have a 7 currently and don't look forward to dealing with it. I also have an old Sony FDR-X3000 which I think is superior to the GoPro in pretty much every way, with optical stabilization etc., but it unfortunately hasn't been updated in years. Least not that i'm aware of.
    I also have the Sony FDR-X3000 (and a bunch of older Sony models). It seems to be reliable. I leave the battery door open when shooting 4K and so far hasn't overheated. I don't know if Sony got out of the action cam game or what, since they haven't released a new one in several years as you said. I think they make the sensors for the GoPros

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Vino View Post
    Anyone tried the Sony RXO ii?
    No. I looked at it a while back but I seem to recall it had overheating issues?

10. Collapse Details
    The DJI product looked comprable or better in a few areas than the Go Pros, at least the 7 and possibly 8, but once again, not much in the way of extended batteries available to record hours, instead of minutes of video.
    Sony seems as if the action cam market isn't important to them because they have ignored it for years. After owning an Osmo and a Mavic Pro, I'm not impressed with DJI's reliability either. Basically nobody makes a professional
    action camera that is rugged, reliable and can record 5-6 hours on one battery. People who record desert races, long distance car races, boat racing and all kinds of other endurance athletics need cameras that can do all of this
    and really nobody makes one that can. Even if you have room to mount a mirrorless or a small ZCAM, they cannot take the moisture, shock, heat, g-forces, dust and mud or the worst, the liquid acid known as salt water.
    Last edited by puredrifting; 09-17-2020 at 09:02 PM.
    It's a business first and a creative outlet second.
    G.A.S. destroys lives. Stop buying gear that doesn't make you money.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast