Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Lightworks NLE and QScan have new owners.
    LWKS Software Ltd has taken ownership of Lightworks and QScan from Editshare.

https://www.redsharknews.com/lightwo...-bright-future

https://www.lwks.com/index.php?optio...emid=81#224938

2. Collapse Details
    I am looking to move off FCPX because we are moving off MAC's to Windows PC's (for many reasons)

Would Lightworks be a good option?

We are evaluating Resolve at the moment but it is not intuitive at all. .

3. Collapse Details
    Lightworks isn't like FCPX, there are tracks for a start, but it can be operated in a number of different ways and has a clean looking interface. It's worth having a play with the free version, however, be open about getting used to it. The problems usually arise when users try to use it exactly the same as their old NLE.

It has the option of two interfaces, a fixed one and the flexible layout for those that feel confined by the fixed layout

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

4. Collapse Details
    As a Lightworks user who switched from Premiere with the release of the first V10 version when it came out I have found it to be by far the most efficient lightweight professional pure NLE there is. Never looked back. It can run well on relatively modest hardware, unlike Resolve.
    I still use Resolve for its original purpose: raw footage processing, color grading, and preparing digital intermediate masters for editing, but I don’t like the all in one approach of the newest version. It is a bloated inefficient resource hog.
    Most don’t know that Lightworks is the second oldest NLE, started as a dedicated hardware based NLE system about the same time as AVID. But where Avid was designed for television editing, Lightworks was designed specifically for feature film editing. The basic UI features and work flow was designed by film editors, not programmers.
    If you have ever cut film on a flatbed editor with a bin of clips hanging on hooks next to you, it will probably seem very intuitive quickly. For me coming from a 16mm film editing background it just clicked. In the classic flexible layout I can work the way I think rather than how a traditional video NLE based on linear tape assembly broadcast paradigms dictates.

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Razz16mm View Post
    If you have ever cut film on a flatbed editor with a bin of clips hanging on hooks next to you, it will probably seem very intuitive quickly. For me coming from a 16mm film editing background it just clicked. In the classic flexible layout I can work the way I think rather than how a traditional video NLE based on linear tape assembly broadcast paradigms dictates.
    No, I am one of the millions who started with digital video and online delivery a decade ago. The only wet film I had any dealings with was in 35mm still cameras but not in the last 20+ years. I did do some audiotape editing but that was over 30 years ago. My first proper NLE was FCPX. I get the feeling that the majority have never done the "traditional" editing which may explain FCPX's popularity everywhere except LA. That said we need a non-apple solution.

6. Collapse Details
    There are (or maybe were) some lingo differences, but the basics of marking points and inserting into a timeline are still present in LightWorks. It is in many ways easier and faster than other editors, but I haven't worked with it in a decade. Get a controller, even an Xkeys, program it so it works for you, and get working. I really liked the trim functions in LW when I was using it, it just made sense to me.

Don't forget they have a free version so you won't need to take anyone's word, just register, download, and try it.

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Razz16mm View Post
    As a Lightworks user who switched from Premiere with the release of the first V10 version when it came out I have found it to be by far the most efficient lightweight professional pure NLE there is. Never looked back. It can run well on relatively modest hardware, unlike Resolve.
    I still use Resolve for its original purpose: raw footage processing, color grading, and preparing digital intermediate masters for editing, but I don’t like the all in one approach of the newest version. It is a bloated inefficient resource hog.
    Most don’t know that Lightworks is the second oldest NLE, started as a dedicated hardware based NLE system about the same time as AVID. But where Avid was designed for television editing, Lightworks was designed specifically for feature film editing. The basic UI features and work flow was designed by film editors, not programmers.
    Thanks for the info. My early days were analog editing but moved to Premiere in the late 90s and have been using since. However I refuse to move past CS6 onto the rental model so I will eventually have to move to something else and have been considering different options

8. Collapse Details
    Thank you for reminding me about Lightworks, and I'm glad to hear that some of you still like it. I was thinking about my options since I prefer Linux. It's nice to see it has both DEB and RPM packages. I had thought that Lightworks only had a subscription, but I see you can buy it "outright", for 437.99 (license comparison).

I have heard a million times that the interface takes some getting used to but is better once you get used to it. I glanced at some screenshots and don't see anything shocking. But I did read that it has two layouts, a locked-together version and a free-floating windows layout. I think I like the locked-together version, since it reminds me of Final Cut Pro, Avid, and the other NLEs I've used.

9. Collapse Details
    Amongst other NLE's, Premiere, Vegas, Avid, currently Resolve, Vegas and Edius I've been a user of Edius since v2.0. If you are thinking of making the move to Windows and want a totally seamless NLE with some very powerful and fast features and rock solid performance, especialy with current Intel and Nvidia GPU's take the time to test the trial of Edius X which was released yesterday the 15th. I will be upgrading to it 100%. Edius drops right into the traditional paradigm of non-linear editing. If you are used to Premiere, Vegas, FCP Pro (not X) you will not have a hard time coming to grips with it. Edius is probably the most rounded editor I've used. It's 99% codec agnostic. Will handle BOTH Blackmagic RAW and ProRes RAW seamlessly. There is far too much to outline on Edius X in a post but seriously check out the MOST UNDERATTED NLE out there. Below is an overview of Edius X and a couple of examples of how easy it is to accomplish certain workflows. Over 30,000 seats in broadcast and 100,000 seats in production houses and with independent editors... and it's still a secret unknow for many out there. Give it a try, costs nothing to check it out.

Chris Young

10. Collapse Details
    The next Lightworks release is due out in November. I suspect this will be the beta, since Lightworks usually has a long beta testing program with lots of input from users. Sometimes a suggestion will be added in the same day to the next build by the developers.

A film editor friend reminded me that a psychologist was involved in the original Lightworks design, so that the functions could be carried out with minimum number of inputs. Some of the strange terms in Lightworks like "mark and park" come from this process. This saves you from needing to mark "in" and "out" points when editing.

Another article on the sale: https://www.provideocoalition.com/ed...lwks-software/
    Last edited by briandrys1; 09-16-2020 at 01:32 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast