Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Dune trailer by Villeneuve looks beautiful - premieres Dec 18, 2020

What do you guys think of the trailer?

It looks like there will be more dramatic clarity than your typical whiz bang pop blockbuster. A nice, longer average shot length judging by the trailer.

Time to reread the book?

Villeneuve did such a good job with Arrival. Color me excited!
    www.VideoAbe.com

"Captain, the most elementary and valuable statement in science, the beginning of wisdom, is 'I do not know.'" - Lt. Cmdr. Data

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

2. Collapse Details
    It looks nice. I like Arrival a lot too. Villeneuve always shoots an attractive picture. I find his pacing can be a bit too measured. I felt this especially in Blade Runner 2049, where every scene played at the same pace and there was no modulation, or feeling of acceleration in the last act. Dune is a famously difficult piece to adapt so we'll see if they were able to crack it. I know they are splitting it into two movies, which should help, as Lynch's Dune bit off more than it could chew.
    "Money doesn't make films...You just do it and take the initiative." - Werner Herzog

3. Collapse Details
    I like the look of Dune also....and liked Arrival a lot....though I found the grade and/or the cinematography too dark...especially in scenes where there was no need, like inside Amy Adam's character's house...

4. Collapse Details
    Denis rarely says much, but he can cast a mood like few others. He really knows how to turn a script into an audio visual experience. Arrival is something that few other directors would have handled as well.

But I do wish Denis had more substance. But it keeps things light. Sometimes Tarkosvky, Antonioni, or Bergman can be a bit much. But Denis films feel so rich in mood, it is a little disappointing there isn't a little more... at least as much as Ridley Scott puts into his. I think Ridley finds a good balance of mass appeal and depth. His movies often have enough meat to bite into, without going down into the abyss like a Bergman.

Akira Kurosawa was another one that does well with having enough meaty depth, without sacrificing the action and tension.

5. Collapse Details
    Greig Fraser has long been doing gorgeously muted work. Seems like the ideal candidate to helm the look of this film. He knows how to shoot the hell out of some sand!

He also, to me, represents some of the modern great cinematographers. Glad to see the young pups taking the reigns.

40-50yo seems like a young cinematographer. Some younger people slip in with style or flash, but the strong consistent body of work types have generally built up a long career over time.

6. Collapse Details
    I do like the way Roger Deakins and Denis Villenueve Seems to work off each other. They seem to strengthen eachother.

7. Collapse Details
    The most impressive thing about this movie is Christian Bale's transformation for his role in it.

0 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

8. Collapse Details
    Thug: "What are you?"

Batman voice: "I'm the kwisatz haderach!"
    "Money doesn't make films...You just do it and take the initiative." - Werner Herzog

9. Collapse Details
    I am such a fan of the book and original movie I will definitely see this one.
    Regards,

Mark

GH5, Panasonic 12-60, 14-45, 45-175, Olympus 60 macro, 75-300, Benro S6 Tripod, Rhino Carbon 24" Slider, and Edius 8.5 WG.
    Video channel: https://vimeo.com/channels/3523
    Stock Video: https://www.pond5.com/artist/mark29#1/2063

10. Collapse Details
    Rockin the Boat
    Hmm. Are we watching the same trailer? It looks like sh|t to me. Absolute garbage. Now, I'm not a fan of the director, and I've predicted utter failure for BR2049 when it was first announced, and subsequently I was proven right - did a long review of it here too, after it came out. I personally think DV is a director with zero talent, and I've gotten into the reasons why in the Sicario thread, and just based on that, I predicted BR2049 would be a major FAIL when it was first announced he was going to direct - you are welcome to see my prediction and how it subsequently turned out. Now seeing this trailer, you can already see what's afoot.

Don't you see just how utterly of its time this is? It's like every bad Sci-fi movie out there of the past few years. Regardless of what you look at, even acting - same dull glum acting without imagination, everything one-note "serious". And the effects? Embarrasing. Like there's been no progress - flat "blue electric" razzle dazzle we saw done back in the 70's with Star Wars, and the cgi feels no more than what we've seen in the LOTR movies. Abysmal framing (a DV specialty) and flat-footed staging and of course all the characters on screen distributed like a 5-year old playing GI-Joe on the kindergarten floor. Atrocious. Music in the trailer is a clunker too.

Looks like it'll be another tedious hours-overlong fap in the BR2049 humiliating tradition. The director is a hack, and the trailer reflects that.

Of course, it's just my opinion, and obviously others may see it completely differently - no sweat. For the final judgment we'll await for the film. YMMV.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast