Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by seanarmada View Post
    Overall for me this feels more like a rental lens. It's great and there are scenarios where I'd prefer it over the 17-55 for sure, but thinking about the various situations I film in, I still haven't found a viable alternative to the 17-55. For all of its faults its still a great mix of size, focal range, speed, image quality.
    This is a good assessment, although I'd say the IQ of the 17-55 is a little lacking especially when it comes to vignetting and fringing on hard edges. I rented the 18-80 once again for a live performance that I was shooting hand held and man is it hard to beat when it comes to performance & versatility. IQ & autofocus and image stabilization performance is so good. Definitely has the best IS out of any Canon lens IMHO. Yes at T4.4 it's lacking that wow factor, but with a good color grade it can add some back in. I'll be doing the same shoot next month and am going to add Black Promist 1/8 filter to it and see if that can add a little more wow back into the image as well.

I posted some frame grabs from the show on my instagram if you want to check them out: https://www.instagram.com/p/CG6Vs4Jj...on_share_sheet
    Images 1,2,4,7,8,9 are from the C300MKIII + 18-80
    Image 3 is C200 + Sigma Art 18-35 1.8
    Image 5,6 are C200 + Tokina 24-70 2.8

That being said, this lens is right up there with a better tripod.....might just be a rental as needed item cause man is it hard to spend that much money on something that utilitarian and doesn't get you excited. If Canon could get the 18-80 a little faster OR make a new version of the 17-55 that's more video friendly, that would be the perfect lens.
    Director | Making Lemonade: Our Covid 19 Story
    (warning: this film contains 0% politics, 0% conspiracies, & 100% optimism)

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by chris f View Post
    This is a good assessment, although I'd say the IQ of the 17-55 is a little lacking especially when it comes to vignetting and fringing on hard edges. I rented the 18-80 once again for a live performance that I was shooting hand held and man is it hard to beat when it comes to performance & versatility. IQ & autofocus and image stabilization performance is so good. Definitely has the best IS out of any Canon lens IMHO. Yes at T4.4 it's lacking that wow factor, but with a good color grade it can add some back in. I'll be doing the same shoot next month and am going to add Black Promist 1/8 filter to it and see if that can add a little more wow back into the image as well.

I posted some frame grabs from the show on my instagram if you want to check them out: https://www.instagram.com/p/CG6Vs4Jj...on_share_sheet

That being said, this lens is right up there with a better tripod.....might just be a rental as needed item cause man is it hard to spend that much money on something that utilitarian and doesn't get you excited. If Canon could get the 18-80 a little faster OR make a new version of the 17-55 that's more video friendly, that would be the perfect lens.
    Great stuff Chris. The 18-80 should be more appealing now that you've got a c300iii with its more usable higher ISOs. What ISO do you think is a loose rule for interiros with the 18-80 - with/without NR?

3. Collapse Details
    Great looking frames, Chris

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by chris f View Post

Thanks for sharing these man.. I'll echo the others, very nice frames!

I'm still pretty tempted by the 18-80, it really is hard to beat... I had a bunch of VISA travel points lying around and decided to convert them into Best Buy certificates, and ended up putting them towards a new 17-55, which worked out quite cheap in the end (about $400 CAD, or $300 USD probably). I get the feeling there's some variation from copy to copy, this one is WAY better than my older copy: the focus and zoom rings are much smoother, it feels like the image is a bit sharper overall, the flaring even looks nicer.. Its possible my older one is just dinged up but it almost feels like a semi-upgrade.

If they announced a CN-E variation of the 17-55 I'd buy it in a heartbeat. No chance of that happening I bet though...

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by seanarmada View Post
    Thanks for sharing these man.. I'll echo the others, very nice frames!

I'm still pretty tempted by the 18-80, it really is hard to beat... I had a bunch of VISA travel points lying around and decided to convert them into Best Buy certificates, and ended up putting them towards a new 17-55, which worked out quite cheap in the end (about $400 CAD, or $300 USD probably). I get the feeling there's some variation from copy to copy, this one is WAY better than my older copy: the focus and zoom rings are much smoother, it feels like the image is a bit sharper overall, the flaring even looks nicer.. Its possible my older one is just dinged up but it almost feels like a semi-upgrade.

If they announced a CN-E variation of the 17-55 I'd buy it in a heartbeat. No chance of that happening I bet though...
    FWIW, I just bought DVXUser Chris Albert's CNE 18-80mm t/4.4 for a very good price. I've been out of town for two weeks on live streams out of state so haven't had a chance to shoot with it yet,
    but I've shot half a dozen projects with this lens over the past few years. It's a very unique, special lens, there really isn't much else like it on the market. Such a great all arounder for those of
    us who use Canon S35 cameras. Glad I finally have one, I've wanted it since I reviewed a prototype four years ago and have been waiting for a good, clean used copy to pop up for sale. It finally did.

True to my signature, this lens will make me money, I should have it paid off in day rate rentals by January or February, then it will become a profit center. I have three regular clients who specifically have asked for servo moves
    and unless I had one rented, I wasn't able to do those kinds of moves with a still lens.
    It's a business first and a creative outlet second.
    G.A.S. destroys lives. Stop buying gear that doesn't make you money.

6. Collapse Details
    The sensor width on the C300 Mark III is 26.2mm, even wider with a bigger image circle than the C300 II. Is vignetting the Canon 17-55mm paired with the C300 III more noticeable as a result?

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by dadoboy View Post
    The sensor width on the C300 Mark III is 26.2mm, even wider with a bigger image circle than the C300 II. Is vignetting the Canon 17-55mm paired with the C300 III more noticeable as a result?
    I've not shot with the C300 MKIII yet but our EF S 17-55 f/2.8 IS on our c200 is a hot mess, vignetting and soft corners. Usable but just barely.
    It's a business first and a creative outlet second.
    G.A.S. destroys lives. Stop buying gear that doesn't make you money.

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by puredrifting View Post
    FWIW, I just bought DVXUser Chris Albert's CNE 18-80mm t/4.4 for a very good price. I've been out of town for two weeks on live streams out of state so haven't had a chance to shoot with it yet,
    but I've shot half a dozen projects with this lens over the past few years. It's a very unique, special lens, there really isn't much else like it on the market. Such a great all arounder for those of
    us who use Canon S35 cameras. Glad I finally have one, I've wanted it since I reviewed a prototype four years ago and have been waiting for a good, clean used copy to pop up for sale. It finally did.

True to my signature, this lens will make me money, I should have it paid off in day rate rentals by January or February, then it will become a profit center. I have three regular clients who specifically have asked for servo moves
    and unless I had one rented, I wasn't able to do those kinds of moves with a still lens.
    Just looked up the original post.. Nice find! It seems they don't really pop up on the used market much, which is probably a good sign.

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by dadoboy View Post
    The sensor size doesn't matter. What matters is the effective pixel dimensions. The height of the C200 and C300 Mark III sensors are the same. And they have same number of effective pixels in that dimension.
    Unless the pixel size is different on the C300 Mark III and the C200, they will have the same exact image circle, since they have the same exact effective pixel dimensions and vertical dimension.
    We don't know what they're doing with those non effective area pixels, but the image circle stays the same. It's simple grade school geometry.

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by puredrifting View Post
    I've not shot with the C300 MKIII yet but our EF S 17-55 f/2.8 IS on our c200 is a hot mess, vignetting and soft corners. Usable but just barely.
    I'm assuming you have peripheral illumination turned on.

Is it bare or do you have a UV filter?

If you have a filter have you heard of any luck with step up rings?

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast