Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Lkorver View Post
    I think I'm going to heed the advice of many who warned of the perils of gelling that many windows. Hiring a grip and renting a 1.2k PAR. It's a single person interview, so in theory I should be able to fly the HMI plus diffusion frame overhead and fairly close to the subject, hoping that gets us enough pop.
    Keep in mind the squint factor. I have found that shining REALLY bright sources like HMIs on talent who isn't professional, even through a ton of diffusion, often makes then uncontrollably squint and blink like the light is frying their eyes. I experienced this last year when I rented an 8x8 diffusion just for low angle sunlight. I sat in where talent sat and it was a little bright but from the reaction from talent, you would have though we were trying to fry their eyeballs! Some people handle very bright sources well, but others just can't handle it and their squinting can spoil your shoot.
    It's a business first and a creative outlet second.
    G.A.S. destroys lives. Stop buying gear that doesn't make you money.

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by puredrifting View Post
    Keep in mind the squint factor. I have found that shining REALLY bright sources like HMIs on talent who isn't professional, even through a ton of diffusion, often makes then uncontrollably squint and blink like the light is frying their eyes. I experienced this last year when I rented an 8x8 diffusion just for low angle sunlight. I sat in where talent sat and it was a little bright but from the reaction from talent, you would have though we were trying to fry their eyeballs! Some people handle very bright sources well, but others just can't handle it and their squinting can spoil your shoot.
    Good point, I'd hope that we could get the 4x4 and HMI high enough on more of a downward angle so talent isn't looking directly into the light, hopefully that helps a bit. He has blue eyes, which I think makes bright lights even more tricky.

3. Collapse Details
    The rooftop is available I'm told, 2 stories up and overlooks the entire space. I'd almost want to push for that. Going to be a 75F and full sun day though, not sure how the subject would do for a 90 min interview outside, even with a silk topper. Only one plane a day comes in and out of this airport, and I'm told we can shut off the HVAC, so in theory it would be quiet (and Covid safe).

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Lkorver View Post
    The rooftop is available I'm told, 2 stories up and overlooks the entire space. I'd almost want to push for that. Going to be a 75F and full sun day though, not sure how the subject would do for a 90 min interview outside, even with a silk topper. Only one plane a day comes in and out of this airport, and I'm told we can shut off the HVAC, so in theory it would be quiet (and Covid safe).
    Have someone from the site record 1 minute of audio on that roof (maybe even just the memo app on a phone) to get a sense of sound up there. I wouldn't trust any non-professional opinion on ambient sound.

I recently shot 2 weeks of outdoor doc material for a client, some of it at a campus in California and the rest on a lush 20 acre plot of land in Washington state. We had a ton of HVAC units and crap to deal with in the CA location and I was told over and over how much better it would be once we get up north because all of the land in sight belongs to the client with total control. When we got up there, it was indeed gorgeous and the bit of birds in the background were totally fine, but it turns out that after 20 years at this property the client never noticed that it is directly under a major flight path. There were planes at least every few minutes during the entire shoot. Once I pointed this out, they couldn't stop noticing it and kept saying "wow, all these years we never noticed the planes here and though we were so secluded from noise."

Anyway, long story just to say: Don't trust the audio situation without some reassurances about what you're getting.

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by ozmorphasis View Post
    Have someone from the site record 1 minute of audio on that roof (maybe even just the memo app on a phone) to get a sense of sound up there. I wouldn't trust any non-professional opinion on ambient sound.

I recently shot 2 weeks of outdoor doc material for a client, some of it at a campus in California and the rest on a lush 20 acre plot of land in Washington state. We had a ton of HVAC units and crap to deal with in the CA location and I was told over and over how much better it would be once we get up north because all of the land in sight belongs to the client with total control. When we got up there, it was indeed gorgeous and the bit of birds in the background were totally fine, but it turns out that after 20 years at this property the client never noticed that it is directly under a major flight path. There were planes at least every few minutes during the entire shoot. Once I pointed this out, they couldn't stop noticing it and kept saying "wow, all these years we never noticed the planes here and though we were so secluded from noise."

Anyway, long story just to say: Don't trust the audio situation without some reassurances about what you're getting.
    lol ridiculous.

Once I was in a "studio space" literally under a flight path where the plane actually cast a shadow over the talent (briefly via the whirlybird vent). Pretty compelling evidence that the space was less than ideal!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234