Page 19 of 45 FirstFirst ... 915161718192021222329 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by IronFilm View Post
    Who will be the buyers of the FX6 or FX9? If we look at only the buyers coming from Sony brands:

People updating from their F55/F5: think most of them will go for the FX9
    People upgrading from their FS7: most will now be considering the FX6, when before many where going to the FX9, but I expect a healthy proportion will still go from the FS7 to the FX9. Just not the majority.
    People upgrading from their FS5/FS700 or mirrorless cameras: the vast majority will go to the FX6
    Spec wise I think people will migrate from the FS7 to the FX6, but in terms of client cachet I think most FS7 upgraders will go to the larger FX9 and use the FX6 as a b-cam...

2. Collapse Details
    Ive been quiet on this thread - still thinking this through.

Still sony are naughty with schoolboy errors in design - no jack for scratch sound - generally that top handle is a fail.

Overall I think it is good.. but really making me think .. why upgrade from the FS7 at all - I dont think the picture will be any better.. and the picture on the FS7 in 4k is very adequate

So one needs to mull the AF and the option of a 28-135 or 24-105 being an upgrade from my 28-80 and booster combo.

Its very pleasing not to have to pay FX9 money to get half decent AF.

Ill probably buy in a year???

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Grug View Post
    Camera has some mojo:

I just don't see it...I really, truly want to see it and I see it in the FX9 all of the time (from Day 1), but something is so off about this video for me.

The talent and effort and production is of course beyond great, but the IQ and motion is not working for my brain.

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by morgan_moore View Post

Still sony are naughty with schoolboy errors in design - no jack for scratch sound - generally that top handle is a fail.

Overall I think it is good.. but really making me think .. why upgrade from the FS7 at all - I dont think the picture will be any better.. and the picture on the FS7 in 4k is very adequate

So one needs to mull the AF and the option of a 28-135 or 24-105 being an upgrade from my 28-80 and booster combo.

Sam - this is more or less where I am too with my current thoughts on this. Lots of really good specs...but some concerns with ergonomics, etc and not that huge leap of an upgrade from current FS7. And no UHD / 4K in s35. Plus, I did buy an A7SIII - so that will already cover the gimbal shots, etc and looks like it can easily be B cam to my FS7. Still lots to ponder...

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by markfpv View Post
    Sam - this is more or less where I am too with my current thoughts on this. Lots of really good specs...but some concerns with ergonomics, etc and not that huge leap of an upgrade from current FS7. And no UHD / 4K in s35. Plus, I did buy an A7SIII - so that will already cover the gimbal shots, etc and looks like it can easily be B cam to my FS7. Still lots to ponder...
    If I owned an FS7 and an A7 SIII, no way in hell I would buy an FX6 unless I needed a tax write off. Even though the FX6 is really small and light, the A7 SIII is lighter and smaller, which is generally better for gimbal use. Same reason I don't mount my C200 or 300 MKII on a one handed gimbal, that's just a recipe for awkwardness and fatigue. The X-T3 on the gimbal is a dream, I've shot fiull 12-13 hours days with it on the gimbal for a documentary.

The color science on the newer cameras is generally superior to the FS7 color science SOOC as I am sure you've discovered with your A7 SIII, but if you color most of your stuff or your clients do, FS7 with log can look great. Like everything, let your business model dictate your gear acquisition.
    It's a business first and a creative outlet second.
    G.A.S. destroys lives. Stop buying gear that doesn't make you money.

6. Collapse Details
    Its all pretty marginal!

So whats my FS7 gripes..
    mass
    lack of AF

Firstly I hate mirrorless but many others seem to think this new 10bit sony is a contender.

Well holding a gimbal with an FS7 (and remote focus) is not marginal - its back breaking (!).. but maybe I could use the mirrorless

Im not doing army (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vic7w4OUlRI) at the moment where shaving grams helps a fifty year old keep up with the infantry

The handheld mass only really affects me If I have to trog many km in a day with the rig.

AF? well its a time saver on a gimbal but apparently the mirrorless cam has a better touch screen (and is lighter?)

AF is also handy on a slider and when you can't see your screen in the sun

time to think over all those occasions.

BUt..
    BPU , (19v) power in, ND I think Id prefer to drop $6g on this than $3g on a mirrorles which would just be there to annoy. It might win on specifics but day to day mirrorless suck.

7. Collapse Details
    I almost feel the FX6 is a step backwards from the FS7. Moving to full-frame is not appealing. It's being done to sell cameras and people are going for it. I really admire how easily customers can be manipulated. As we pondered a while back, once the full-frame market has been saturated by the manufacturers, you have to wonder where they will take us next.

As Morgan said, the audio on the grip is almost embarrassing. It's so cheesy.

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by NorBro View Post
    I just don't see it...I really, truly want to see it and I see it in the FX9 all of the time (from Day 1), but something is so off about this video for me.

The talent and effort and production is of course beyond great, but the IQ and motion is not working for my brain.
    Personally I liked the motion fine. But they still managed to make him look lifeless as so many A7SIII promo videos did. Nice detail level though I think

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by morgan_moore View Post

I think the image probably will be better than the FS7 - better skin tones and color, especially SOOC.

But I put my upgrade odds at 25% right now because the FS7 is a famous camera that is better suited to shoulder mounting and delivers adequate IQ as well as codecs that are not improved upon here.

Reasons to upgrade: AF, low-light, 4k120p

But, again, having an A7SIII helps me cover those bases at least with 1 camera, and personally I prefer the form factor combo of FS7/fx9 and a mirrorless camera rather than an attempt at one size fits all like the FX6.

What about the PZ 18-110 for your FS7? I think it's actually a better lens than the 28-135 as reflected in the price, although I haven't looked at it carefully. Or just the canon 18-80 with an adapter

10. Collapse Details
    It seems to me the A7SIII will cannibalize FX6 sales. At 40% cheaper and the same guts I doubt many will pay the extra $2500 for vari ND and XLR inputs...

Page 19 of 45 FirstFirst ... 915161718192021222329 ... LastLast