Page 38 of 45 FirstFirst ... 28343536373839404142 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by andykwilkinson View Post
    I (still) have a Canon C100 and the Sony FS5. The handle on the C100 is (for me anyway) really a great feature of the camera, it just feels so comfortable. I also like that it's adjustable in terms of position and (of course) removable. It's a bit more awkward than the FS5 side handle to adjust in position - but at least once it's fixed it's rock solid...the handle on my (and I think all) FS5 has a bit of play in it. However, the FS5 handle is really easy and very quick to adjust and has a few more controls on it - and they are more or less right where I'd want them. It does feel a bit cheap and plasticky, but hey, it's a Sony, what do you expect. I am really hoping that the FX6 handle does NOT have the play that the FS5 has - don't think I've seen anyone mention this in the review videos I've seen. It's a pretty noticeable "feature" on the FS5 so I'm hoping this means they have sorted it. I also believe the (awkward to plug/unplug) 2.5mm jack on the short lead on the FS5 has been replaced with a more sturdy 3.5mm jack and I think the FX6 may have (even) more controls on the handle - would need to check that last statement though.
    Thank you!

I always want compact and ergonomic, so I like sculpted boxes. can always add a handle to anything. But t is good to hear that people enjoy using the handles and it isn't some corporate design. I think I recall James Longely liking the handle on the C300mkii. angels are made of light https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbJEYzxLsJg

Wouldn't is be genius if they were able to utilize the handles 3.5mm jack as an audio in port? haha. I kid. but wouldn't it?

2. Collapse Details
    When FX-6 design was approved - and rumors of the camera were out a year ago - the cripple hammer a la FX-9's stack for external Raw recording was still in play. Then Canon's cripple hammer was on the verge of a class action law suit and had to be quickly disabled (to paraphrase Jim Jannard, the "disabled disability"), tossing everything out of norm.

Olympus's and Nikon's financial trouble also did not go unnoticed. On top of that, cartels have a natural trajectory toward breaking up.

But I think it'll be easier for Sony to make FX-9II since it had to have been planned from the start than to quickly release an update for FX-6.

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by DLD View Post
    ...to paraphrase Jim Jannard, the "disabled disability".
    Ha! What was he referring to?

In a way, I think Jim Jannard was like a lot of us on the forum, just that he had the business strategy and money to do it. He saw DSLR's and thought, why can video cameras do this? He as right.

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by James0b57 View Post
    Ha! What was he referring to? ...
    "Obsolescence obsolete".

5. Collapse Details
    A questions for Fs5 and Canon C shooters, how much do you like those side handles? Is it really important? I find myself wondering if having a slight protrusion would be better. Would always be there, and would significantly slim up the camera's profile. A hand strap attached could come with it, or be an optional purchase.

I know a handling's can be useful, but I typically add them for specific work. But I love it if a camera just came with a sculpted body that works as is, even stripped down.

Thoughts on the side handle designs?
    I absolutely love the side handle on my Fs5. So much so that when I strip the camera down for gimbal work it seems vastly inferior and less intuitive. The side handle makes the camera feel like an extension of my hand (and, by extension, of my thoughts and intentions while shooting).

There is a fair bit of play but I'm guessing (hoping!) that's been fixed on the FX6.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

6. Collapse Details
    To his point about the top handle, I wonder if Sony will allow 3rd party attachments so that something like Wooden Caerm can provide XLR to the side and a more robust top handle? IDK. Probably not.
    I hope so as its my main complaint with the camera. I thought about just taking off the top handle, putting on a monitor instead and sound device mixpre3
    Florida Based Photographer & Cinematographer
    http://www.austinburke.photography/

7. Collapse Details
    "Obsolescence obsolete".
    Worst, most BS tag line in camera history. I laughed at it back in the day.
    It's a business first and a creative outlet second.
    G.A.S. destroys lives. Stop buying gear that doesn't make you money.

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by drboffa View Post
    I absolutely love the side handle on my Fs5. So much so that when I strip the camera down for gimbal work it seems vastly inferior and less intuitive. The side handle makes the camera feel like an extension of my hand (and, by extension, of my thoughts and intentions while shooting).

There is a fair bit of play but I'm guessing (hoping!) that's been fixed on the FX6.
    That is great to hear!

So many different ways to shoot and operate.

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by puredrifting View Post
    Worst, most BS tag line in camera history. I laughed at it back in the day.
    "Obsolescence obsolete".
    Bahahaha!

Ok, now i gotcha. Yeah, they threw that out the window real quick! Despite possibly still using the slogan somewhere, they never practiced it in full effect.

Although, a Red Epic MX can still shoot the s*%t out of an Indie feature in the right hands. But yeah, what a load of BS that was. Their upgrade discount is kind of cool, but feels more like a cycle trap,,, the dangling carrot effect. Haha.

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by ReelFilmGeek View Post
    I hope so as its my main complaint with the camera. I thought about just taking off the top handle, putting on a monitor instead and sound device mixpre3
    That is cool. The Mixpre3ii is amazing. Tiny and easy enough to use for a novice on small gigs and fun projects. The Zoom recorders had the hit record a second time to actually record, and red and red blinking meaning different things, and then other recorders of theirs just being one tap of record.... made me so unconfident renting a zoom or handing it off to anyone. But the Mixpre’s just hit the big ole REC button and it goes red and time code a running.... easy peasey lemon squeezy!

Page 38 of 45 FirstFirst ... 28343536373839404142 ... LastLast