Thread: FX6 tease

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    In custom mode you can do WB and all sorts of settings even with Slog.

2. Collapse Details
    Sony really have to get the FX6 specs out soon in order to get orders before 2021. It can't be more than a week or so I guess because then we are into November and that's a tight window to get them out before New Years.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Roper View Post
    Doesn't the FS7 have custom mode besides just Cine-EI? On my F55 I can set color temperature in custom mode with SLog2/3.
    Oh, I know - am very aware of it. But let's not go down that worm hole (regarding how using slog in custom on FS7, etc, renders colors different than shooting Slog in CineEI).

What the A7sIII has (and I believe the FX9 ??) is ability to dial in any WB, and WB the camera while shooting in Slog3 cine. It also essentially has dual gain - with 640 & 12800 ISO choices. I am hoping to do some side by side comparisons later this week.

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by markfpv View Post
    Oh, I know - am very aware of it. But let's not go down that worm hole (regarding how using slog in custom on FS7, etc, renders colors different than shooting Slog in CineEI).

What the A7sIII has (and I believe the FX9 ??) is ability to dial in any WB, and WB the camera while shooting in Slog3 cine. It also essentially has dual gain - with 640 & 12800 ISO choices. I am hoping to do some side by side comparisons later this week.
    Sony has been telling us for years that preset WB in slog was a necessity to maximize sensor capabilities. Now they're changing their tune?

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by scorsesefan View Post
    Sony has been telling us for years that preset WB in slog was a necessity to maximize sensor capabilities. Now they're changing their tune?
    I know. Not exactly changing their tune, I suppose, because this has been available on the smaller mirrorless - like a6300, a 6400, etc for some time - but those didn't shoot 4:2:2 on intra codec internally!
    Technically, no where on the a7sIII does it have a CineEI mode. But it does have same slog varieties available with same gamma curves in Picture Profiles (as do Sony's other mirrorless). And PP8 is Slog3 gamma with Sgamut3.cine color space. And you most certainly can do a white balance - either custom with gray or white card - or set the K at any temp between 2500k & 9900k or use any default one (ie warm Flo).

I haven't followed the FX9 that closely... any owners out there want to chime in if you can now WB in CineEi mode? Or is it still on S-cinetone and custom mode?

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by markfpv View Post
    I haven't followed the FX9 that closely... any owners out there want to chime in if you can now WB in CineEi mode? Or is it still on S-cinetone and custom mode?
    Yes you can WB in CineEI

7. Collapse Details
    thanks

8. Collapse Details
    Yes Sony told us at first that you couldn't white balance in Slog because it would constrict the color range too much or however you want to express it. Likewise on the FS7 As I recall they only allowed LUT's in Cine EI because SGamut3 cine was the correct color gamut for Slog3. But I think they made LUTs available in Custom on the F5 & F55 in SGamut and they certainly allowed SLog 3 to shoot with a wide variety of gamuts in the A7 series.So maybe the perfect was the enemy of the damn well good enough and they finally figured that out for the FX9. That's my observation but I'm not privy to how Sony looks at it. I'm sure Alister Chapman would have a more knowledgeable take on it all.

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Roper View Post
    Doesn't the FS7 have custom mode besides just Cine-EI? On my F55 I can set color temperature in custom mode with SLog2/3.
    Yes it does Tom and I've used SLog2 quite frequently in Custom mode and set WB with no issues. A nice wide ranging Custom setting I use with my own Matrix settings. In fact we first used it to match Varicam LT that was shooting in V-LOG 709. Panasonic's version of LOG with 709 output.

Chris Young

10. Collapse Details

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast