Thread: FX6 tease

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Sure. But you said I dont know why and I'm just giving you a reason why: optimization for the format. Would I like to be able to shoot 4k crop on my A7SIII as I could on the S1? Yes.

2. Collapse Details
    Optimization for the format is a good reason, but it's more of an ARRI reason for the 1%, IMO.

Not a $5000-ish prosumer Sony reason.

This camera needs marketing, not optimization.

3. Collapse Details
    I agree with you. But there's a bit more wiggle room at this price tier. The UMP 12K ships with PL mount standard for $10k or whatever. Komodo for roughly half that is also S35. And most if not all of those buyers will pixel peep the camera before making a selection, and they're also typically interested in maximizing IQ instead of sacrificing it for speed and convenience. Or even P6K buyers, for that matter. I mean, I've been arguing with S5 buyers who have a near-religious aversion to using AF.

But yeah - Sony's approach is definitely the opposite. And even a guy like me who was pretty skeptical about things like in-camera distortion correction has learned to stop worrying and love the results from my sigma 24-70, which I know from reviews has worse barrel distortion than I care for.

So, I think you're right about Sony. But there are many other buyers in this price tier who are opposed to their priorities/philosophy. And they're not 1%ers.
    Last edited by ahalpert; 10-07-2020 at 03:39 PM.

4. Collapse Details
    Full-frame and higher than 4K resolutions have a long way to go...so I don't think BM and the 12K and RED and the 6K had much of a choice (especially RED who's not going to sell you a FF 6K camera at that price).

The general pattern I have seen over the years is Blackmagic users usually stick with BM cameras and RED users usually stick with RED cameras. Or those two groups flip from one to the other.

And occasionally you'll have someone leaving one of those companies and buying something like a C300 Mark III as their needs or business have changed.

And then there is a constant recycling of customers with the big three. Hoping from one to the other - back and forth year after year - which is exactly how the Japanese system is supposed to operate. But many now only see Sony and Canon as options (while Panasonic users who don't use AF or are oblivious to how good it is these days are very happy with their own options).

My thoughts about the FX6 definitely pertain to what I think Sony users would like to see in it (or those on the Canon fence).

Because if they make it a S35 sensor for around the same price as the C70, they will lose this battle. But if it's $1500 cheaper then they may have a great camera but then what about the a7SIII?

So I think anyone interested in a FX6 really wants a mini FX9 (even if it has that 1.2x crop for 60p and never has true FF recording but is offset with ND filters, XLRs, and a proper body with buttons and switches for a couple thousand more than the a7SIII).

5. Collapse Details
    Once again, I largely agree. But just to nitpick -

Some people (Grug) have expressed hope that the FX6 is a mega A7SIII instead of a mini FX9. They like the A7SIII features and just want a sturdier body more conducive to film production. Whereas the FX9 underwhelms on frame rates and RAW out, etc. Probably worse in low light. And those folks are totally willing to live without S35 4K crop

6. Collapse Details
    It's possible but then it would be closer to $8K-$9K, IMO.

That is a FS7III.

A $5K-ish camera can't be that good unless it's from Blackmagic.

7. Collapse Details
    Do not sell FX6 short. Can't say more.

8. Collapse Details
    ^ Oh Ned. Don't be a tease. I'm trying out an a7sIII right now - trying to decide on what my next step is...
    (pretty off topic - but it's very interesting to me that the $3500 mirrorless delivers custom white balancing in slog and many other features we all were requesting for our FS7's back when they were fairly new).

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by nsoltz View Post
    Do not sell FX6 short. Can't say more.

But i just ordered FX9!

It'll probably be fine

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by markfpv View Post
    ^ Oh Ned. Don't be a tease. I'm trying out an a7sIII right now - trying to decide on what my next step is...
    (pretty off topic - but it's very interesting to me that the $3500 mirrorless delivers custom white balancing in slog and many other features we all were requesting for our FS7's back when they were fairly new).
    Doesn't the FS7 have custom mode besides just Cine-EI? On my F55 I can set color temperature in custom mode with SLog2/3.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast