1. Collapse Details
    internal zoom lens for gimbal?
    Hello Sony users. Was wondering if there is a full frame e mount go-to lens for gimbal work? Something that has an internal zoom like the sigma 16-35 for balance issues?

2. Collapse Details
    I just bought tamron 17-28 f/2.8 for that purpose to use with my a7r3 and maybe s2

3. Collapse Details
    Wondering your thoughts on the lens - need something wider for gimbal also - now using 28 -75 it works well but wider would be better - seems 17 - 28 is a good idea. Was thinking of buying the Sony 24 - but the Tamron might be a better way to go -
    thank you

also

4. Collapse Details
    I don't have any feedback yet as I don't have my new gimbal configured yet. Was hoping to have it and the cam/lens ready for a shoot thursday but won't have enough time so I'll fall back on my other gimbal/camera setup. I'll let you know how the 17-28 works with the A7Riii and gimbal as soon as I have done some testing. Seems it will be good but untested

5. Collapse Details
    I ordered 17 -28 will have it Friday - I have a shoot coming up that is why I got it - I will have over a week to play around test it on Ronin. I expect it to be a good lens - I might sell my Sony 10-18 f4 wide angle it is for super35 crop and thinking why i would need duplicate wide angle when I moving to mostly to full frame - and eventually I will buy FX9 or( FX6 if it is real).

6. Collapse Details
    Sounds good I hope you like it. Sorry I couldn't get you feedback sooner but I expect it will work out for you.
    I have 10-18 f4 also but I'm keeping it because sometimes I want a really wide zoom lens and indoors the 17-28 isn't really super wide even on FF. Plus I still shoot a lot with my s35 cams

7. Collapse Details
    I'm not sold on the idea of needing a wide-angle zoom with a 2x zoom ratio or less. Everything has its uses. But at that point I'd almost rather just have a prime.

I love the Laowa 12mm zero-d lens when I need to go wide. So basically, I'm either on a 24-70, which is usually wide enough for me and has very useful longer focal lengths, or I'm on the 12mm. (Or I'm on a 50mm f/1.4)

8. Collapse Details
    Sorry for the late response. I actually tried to find this thread 2 other times but failed until today I was determined to find it
    I have used the tamron 17-28 a few times now with my Crane 2 and A7Riii and am happy with it. I'm still working out kinks with the gimbal but the lens does fine.
    I've only shot outdoors with it so far though

9. Collapse Details
    I find it better to have a smaller lighter lens on a gimbal so I use the 24mm prime on the Sony A7iii which has the ability to punch in 1.5x (35mm). A 35mm prime that would turn into 52mm. The other technique if you must have a zoom is balance it at the mid point.
    Last edited by Peter C.; 10-21-2020 at 10:15 PM.

10. Collapse Details
    Yes I agree and I like lighter. But I also like really wide and the ability to zoom. So I want a light wide fast zoom with good AF lol, which doesn't exist