Thread: Tenet

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Liam Hall View Post
    If you've never studied quantum theory you might call it a thesis. I prefer to call it total bollocks.
    I haven't seen the movie or studied quantum physics.

But I have read some pop sci explainer books by Michio Kaku (check out Parallel Worlds - it'll blow your poo pooing mind: https://www.google.com/search?gs_ssp...obile&ie=UTF-8)

Quantum Physics is fascinating and far crazier than star trek (ok, there's overlap). And it's the best theory our best minds currently have.

It's not even new science. The theories have been developed for the past 60+ years
    Last edited by ahalpert; 09-04-2020 at 04:03 PM.
    www.VideoAbe.com

"Captain, the most elementary and valuable statement in science, the beginning of wisdom, is 'I do not know.'" - Lt. Cmdr. Data

2. Collapse Details
    I actually don't care if it's bollocks or not. The rules the movie sets up, and how they work, is internally consistent, and I think Nolan actually pulls of the whole reverse entropy idea cinematically. That part works for me. It's everything else regarding the plot that is confusing, the who needs what from whom and why that gets lost amidst all the sci-fi shenanigans.
    "Money doesn't make films...You just do it and take the initiative." - Werner Herzog

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Batutta View Post
    I actually don't care if it's bollocks or not. The rules the movie sets up, and how they work, is internally consistent, and I think Nolan actually pulls of the whole reverse entropy idea cinematically. That part works for me. It's everything else regarding the plot that is confusing, the who needs what from whom and why that gets lost amidst all the sci-fi shenanigans.
    I'm not saying quantum physics is bollocks. I'm saying the movie is bollocks, mainly for the points you mention.
    www.liamhall.net
    TWITTER: @FilmLiam
    INSTAGRAM: @picsbyliam

4. Collapse Details
    It was cheaper to blow up a real 747 (not that Nolan likes computer effects anyway)

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by combatentropy View Post
    It was cheaper to blow up a real 747 (not that Nolan likes computer effects anyway)
    Wonder if that number includes the free press for blowing up an actual plane?enalp lautca na pu gniwolb rof sserp eerf eht sedulcni rebmun taht fi rednoW

6. Collapse Details
    Tenet dropped 2/3 in revenue the second week, from $20M to $6M. That is not a good showing.

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by DLD View Post
    Tenet dropped 2/3 in revenue the second week, from $20M to $6M. That is not a good showing.
    They should have released it streaming...

Or made a better movie...or both

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by ahalpert View Post
    They should have released it streaming...

Or made a better movie...or both
    It's still very difficult to work out the proper financial arrangement between the theater chains and the top streamers. And that concerns not only the top markets such as North America and Europe but all the smaller regions. And, with some $200M spent, they'd have to get close to that to just break even from a streamer. Complicating the matter is that AT&T Warner Bros. owned streamer HBOMax can't handle such a sum and other streamers wouldn't touch it with a tent pole.

This isn't a bad piece, though his second paragraph provides no reason for his accounting.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...lywood-future/

PS. HBOMax counts the cable subscribers in its totals. Otherwise, it has something like 5 million fresh ones.

9. Collapse Details
    I was reading an article about the film "Rhythm Section". It set the record for the lowest box office $numbers for a film opening in more than 3000 theaters (opening weekend). The writer at the end of the piece mention that the film was "made" by the same company that put out the Bond film, saying that despite the bad figures of Rhythm, they should be raking in the cash with "No Time to Die"..... little did they know.

This has been a bad year for films that don't cater to the streaming business model.

Nolan fans after they see "Tenet" in theaters, spreading Covid:

10. Collapse Details
    BTW, "Rhythm Section" is not that bad. I would say it is a good film overall, with moments of bored and cliche, and then bits of greatness. Perhaps worth a thread of its own.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123