Thread: Tenet

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Batutta View Post
    I liked it more than Dunkirk. I found Dunkirk characterless and devoid of human interests. Tenet at least had a single protagonist I cared about following through the narrative. I'd rank them--

Dark Knight
    Memento
    The Prestige
    Batman Begins
    Inception
    Interstellar
    Dark Knight Rises
    Tenet
    Insomnia
    Dunkirk

I haven't watched Following.
    You probably need to British (and of a certain age) to truly appreciate Dunkirk. It goes deep into our national psyche. My wife thought it was incredible, both my kids thought it was meh.

I pretty much agree with the rest of your list but would drop Inception down a couple of pegs.
    www.liamhall.net
    TWITTER: @FilmLiam
    INSTAGRAM: @picsbyliam

2. Collapse Details
    I liked it more than Dunkirk. I found Dunkirk characterless and devoid of human interests. Tenet at least had a single protagonist I cared about following through the narrative. I'd rank them--

Dark Knight
    Memento
    The Prestige
    Batman Begins
    Inception
    Interstellar
    Dark Knight Rises
    Tenet
    Insomnia
    Dunkirk

I haven't watched Following.
    I largely agree with your list but I can't put dark knight above memento and prestige.

Insomnia I dont remember being that bad, but it's been a while.

Re:Tenet and Liam's morning-after thoughts, it sounds like the work of a man who's trying to incorporate cheap, familiar tropes to make an easy entry point into the story for an audience less conceptually-oriented than he is. It's the inherent problem in making popcorn movies for people who are less intellectual than the director - there's a lot of second-guessing.

But maybe the rest of the audience just thought, "Wow, awesome like omg!" Maybe we're the ones who are out of touch and Nolan will be laughing all the way to the bank.

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by ahalpert View Post
    I largely agree with your list but I can't put dark knight above memento and prestige.

Insomnia I dont remember being that bad, but it's been a while.

Re:Tenet and Liam's morning-after thoughts, it sounds like the work of a man who's trying to incorporate cheap, familiar tropes to make an easy entry point into the story for an audience less conceptually-oriented than he is. It's the inherent problem in making popcorn movies for people who are less intellectual than the director - there's a lot of second-guessing.

But maybe the rest of the audience just thought, "Wow, awesome like omg!" Maybe we're the ones who are out of touch and Nolan will be laughing all the way to the bank.
    I put the top three at the same top shelf level so the order doesn't matter. Insomnia is a perfectly fine film but it feels like small potatoes for Nolan, and not innovative the way Memento was. Dunkirk is the only film on the list I flat out dislike.
    "Money doesn't make films...You just do it and take the initiative." - Werner Herzog

4. Collapse Details
    I put the top three at the same top shelf level so the order doesn't matter. Insomnia is a perfectly fine film but it feels like small potatoes for Nolan, and not innovative the way Memento was. Dunkirk is the only film on the list I flat out dislike.
    Is it better to have a fine genre film that hits its mark or a splashy, high-concept film that bores me to tears (like Inception and Interstellar)?

Gravity and Arrival were both way better than Interstellar, as far as I remember

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

5. Collapse Details
    it sounds like the work of a man who's trying to incorporate cheap, familiar tropes to make an easy entry point into the story for an audience less conceptually-oriented than he is. It's the inherent problem in making popcorn movies for people who are less intellectual than the director - there's a lot of second-guessing.

The film’s not without merit. Some of the action sequences are great to watch and technically very clever, but the plot, character development and some of the dialogue is poor. The real genius of Tenet though, was releasing it now. There’s nothing else to watch at the cinema and people are desperate for entertainment. It will be a hit for sure.
    www.liamhall.net

6. Collapse Details
    Is it better to have a fine genre film that hits its mark or a splashy, high-concept film that bores me to tears (like Inception and Interstellar)?

Gravity and Arrival were both way better than Interstellar, as far as I remember
    There are just certain directors I expect more out of. For example, there isn't much technically wrong with Bridge of Spies, but it seems like a movie forty other directors could have done just as well, and Spielberg's talents are wasted on it.

I don't understand how one could be bored by Inception or Interstellar. Not liking it, fine, but bored to tears?....I like all four of those movies. I don't like Dunkirk, but I didn't find it boring.
    "Money doesn't make films...You just do it and take the initiative." - Werner Herzog

7. Collapse Details
    I don't understand how one could be bored by Inception or Interstellar. Not liking it, fine, but bored to tears?....I like all four of those movies. I don't like Dunkirk, but I didn't find it boring.
    I haven't seen Dunkirk.

Inception - I remember there was a scene where we cut AGAIN from something with Leo to a shot of people doing a barrel roll in a car in slow motion to another scene and I felt like....enough already. I get the point that THIS amount of time over here equals THIS amount of time over there.

Fireworks can get tedious if you watch them long enough, especially if there's no artful dynamic in the ebb and flow and building to a climax of the show.

Interstellar i barely remember. I may have fallen asleep for a time, though I dont think that's my fault. I remember it being complicated.

I really liked the bit where McConaughey fell into the black hole. That was exciting and heroic. Although he spoiled it by stating the theme so clearly ("newton's third law - to move ahead you have to leave something behind.") The exact same theme was put so much more elegantly and implicitly in Gravity.

I nearly threw up in my mouth when love entered the equation. Something about love enabling time travel or something.

I felt the same way about it as I do about LOTR. I can watch a LOTR movie and feel like nothing happened. Or I can watch the Princess Bride and feel like I've just watched an epic.

Because the episodic storytelling and the ebbs and flows and pauses and rising/falling action of princess bride help me digest the story and experience its arc.

LOTR passes in front of me like a blur.

Or - someone posted a clip of one of the Hobbit movies where they're floating down a river in barrels. The first 90 seconds enthralled me. Genius directing with an eye on communicating movement and creating a variety of battle interactions. But then...it just kept going and going.

In other words, I think memento and prestige practiced far better narrative economy

8. Collapse Details
    SPOILERS

After pondering the film some more, one thing I think doesn't fundamentally work with Tenet is the villain's overall motivation for 'ending the world'. I didn't really buy it. And the how of how he plans to end the world is so difficult to get your head around it becomes abstract, which makes the stakes and suspense at the climax unable to really be felt.

9. Collapse Details
    I went and saw it last night... I did a quick review of it on my podcast... https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcas...t/id1504504783

As with most Nolan films (aside from Interstellar) I felt no emotional connection to the characters, but it felt like a thesis on quantum theory and time travel in a movie...
    Please subscribe to my YOUTUBE CHANNEL to see all of my projects.

New short film THE APPOINTMENT now available to see!

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Rice View Post
    I went and saw it last night... I did a quick review of it on my podcast... https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcas...t/id1504504783
    it felt like a thesis on quantum theory and time travel in a movie...
    If you've never studied quantum theory you might call it a thesis. I prefer to call it total bollocks.
    www.liamhall.net

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast