1. Collapse Details
    Ulanzi G3 Pro Anamorphic - heavy coated flares - yay or nay?
    Anybody recommend a lens with the LEAST FLARE?

https://youtu.be/frizAeFSq54

2. Collapse Details
    Anybody?

This lens is TOO sensitive, purposefully coated too much or whatever you call it. I’d use it for only SOME SPECIFIC shots, but not entirely unless lighting is super controlled. Also it’s not true 1.33x

Ideally I’d like to use a mobile anamorphic lens with the least coating and one with moderate coating, like a 2 piece set; matching pair from same brand. Any suggestions?

3. Collapse Details
    As far as the video above, those flares look fake, IMO.

You could create better ones in post these days.

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by NorBro View Post
    As far as the video above, those flares look fake, IMO.

You could create better ones in post these days.
    I agree. I wouldn’t say fake, but worse, CHEAP OPTICAL coating. I don’t know what the process is in amplifying flare when they make the glass, but it’s too much. The flares are a bit better before the hard grade, but I’ve pushed grading before with traditional anamorphic lenses and I don’t get that. Perhaps it has to do with dual glass optics, from the iPhone and then the adapter.

But is there a popular anamorphic Mobile lens that is considered the best?

5. Collapse Details
    i have the 1st gen. fun little tool

6. Collapse Details

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by dcloud View Post
    i have the 1st gen. fun little tool
    I knew about Moment a while back. I actually had the Kapkur version in 2018. It didn’t produce a lot of flare at all. Very nice lens, but the falloff sharpness on the sides I didn’t like. This lens (Ulanzi) fixes that. Also the Kapkur was proprietary screw on so it needed a special case. Ulanzi makes a case which I bought but their calibration was off. It wasn’t dead center so you would get distortion. Luckily the G3 Pro Ulanzi comes with holders that I can fit snug until perfect.

I have a question though about “coatings.” My experiences is that traditional flare comes from the light source somewhat directly hitting the center. This Ulanzi G3 “Pro” seems to be dispersing flare all over the place so it’s almost unusable tbh. Why does it produce so much streak?

8. Collapse Details
    You're probably asking in general (as I'm not the person to ask about that), but I imagine it simply comes down to the company's chosen coatings and application process.

What else is there, you know?

Sometimes in marketing text you'll hear a little bit about the coatings that were used on an expensive lens and how they affect flares (their overall handling, contrast, color fringing, dispersion, elimination, etc).

In the case above, maybe that's how the coating is supposed to look (or it was an oversight, miscalculation and they used too much, IDK...but it happens).

For your overall research, I would dedicate a day to YouTube and search iPhone and anamorphic lens combinations, and watch everything out there.

See if anything stands out to you. And see what others are creating with your current options.

9. Collapse Details
    Dark Side of the Camera Postmaster's Avatar
    I love anamorphic glas, but hate the flares (and other artifacts), that's why I love the Scorpiolenses - pretty much like shooting spherical, but in anamorphic.

https://youtu.be/05PocIV6qyE
    frankglencairn.wordpress.com
    http://twitter.com/FrankGlencairn

Real men edit their films in a hex editor.