Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    FCPX 10.4.9 - "Significant Performance Improvements for Canon Cinema RAW Light"
    Excerpts from today's announcement:
    "This release introduces significant performance improvements with new Metal-enabled plug-ins for RED RAW and Canon Cinema RAW Light. Transcoding 8K RED RAW video to ProRes 422 is up to two times faster on Mac Pro, and up to three times faster on MacBook Pro.1 And for the first time, Final Cut Pro editors can play and edit 8K Canon Cinema RAW Light."

Only problem is that the current Cinema RAW Light plug-in (1.5) is not compatible. Is there a ver. 1.6 out there?

News release here:
    https://www.apple.com/newsroom/2020/...-improvements/
    Last edited by brm; 08-25-2020 at 03:33 PM.

2. Collapse Details
    That's interesting.

There is no Cinema RAW Light 8K yet. (The R5 isn't CRL.)

And there is a footnote next to their note, which mentions a prerelease 2.0 plugin.

"Testing conducted by Apple in August 2020 using 2.5GHz 28-core Intel Xeon W-based Mac Pro systems with 384GB of RAM and dual AMD Radeon Pro Vega II graphics with Infinity Fabric Link and 32GB of HBM2 each, configured with 4TB SSD; as well as 2.4GHz 8-core Intel Core i9-based 16-inch MacBook Pro systems with 64GB of RAM and Radeon Pro 5600M graphics with 8GB of HBM2, configured with 8TB SSD. Mac Pro systems tested with an attached Pro Display XDR. Prerelease Final Cut Pro 10.4.9 with prerelease Canon RAW Plugin 2.0 tested on macOS Catalina, using a 33-second project with Canon Cinema RAW Light video, at 8192x4320 resolution and 29.97 frames per second (as part of a transcode test). Performance will vary based on system configuration, media type, and other factors."
    Last edited by NorBro; 08-25-2020 at 04:32 PM. Reason: Deleted link (first one is fixed).

3. Collapse Details
    Thanks. Fixed link. Just got a ProVideoFormat update alert. Wonder if that'll allow FCPX to "see" .CRM files.

4. Collapse Details
    For me, FCP X can see the 5.5K RAW .CRM from the 1DX Mark III (and of course CRL from the C200), but I can't get it to see the 8K format from the R5.

There is an "operating environment" spec sheet Canon mentions for the 8K...not sure if my computer is good enough.

What's your system like?

5. Collapse Details
    From Canon:

*The following environment is required to be able to handle 8K RAW(CRM) clips.
    - Mac equipped with AMD GPU with 4GB or greater VRAM

6. Collapse Details
    FCPX still not seeing C200 CRL (".crm") files. Not really an issue since I typically import using Cinema Raw Development. But strange nonetheless.

7. Collapse Details
    Did you upgrade FCP X already? The newest version from today probably broke the compatibility and that's what the 2.0 plugin mentioned by Apple will fix...probably officially released by Canon tomorrow or any day now.

If that's the reason then before today the C200's CRL has been working fine in FCP X since 2017. No problem and an amazing workflow straight into FCP X like ProRes.

8. Collapse Details
    Yes. Yes. Have shot numerous doc's using a CRL workflow. Had only upgraded my laptop to FXPX 10.4.9; not the editing suite. Would be great to be able to manipulate CANON RAW files (white balance, sharpness, etc.) when importing into FCPX.

9. Collapse Details
    After installing 10.4.9 I've lost the ability to see CRM files from the C200. Looks like we'll have to sit tight until they release the 2.0 version of the plugin.

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by for_mlove View Post
    After installing 10.4.9 I've lost the ability to see CRM files from the C200. Looks like we'll have to sit tight until they release the 2.0 version of the plugin.
    Itís a little concerning. As 2.0 seems tied to a CRL update to the R5, which canon didnít include in last nights FW update. (CR has a statement coming saying the R5 update is in the works.. but where does that leave people with CRL based projects waiting for the 2.0 plugin?). Luckily I normally transcode in CRD, (Although I have a couple of raw projects that hopefully I donít need to get into) but I made the mistake of not backing up 10.4.8, so Iím stuck I guess for now.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast