Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    As a side note, if the three S-series cameras (S1H, S1 & S5) were all set to the same codec, frame rate, bit rate and resolution, do you think the images would be identical or would the higher priced models look any better?
    Last edited by Bassman2003; 11-25-2020 at 09:38 PM.

2. Collapse Details
    Shot with the same settings in log and graded they would all look the same. The s1h has 120p in HD has all Intra codec which easier to work with in post, time code the s5 has a lower Rez evf which sucks. But just pure image wise I don’t think you will see a difference.

QUOTE=Bassman2003;1986850019]As a side note, if the three S-series cameras (S1H, S1 & S5) were all set to the same codec, frame rate, bit rate and resolution, do you think the images would be identical or would the higher priced models look any better?[/QUOTE]

3. Collapse Details
    Thanks for your opinion. There is so much processing in these cameras that I wonder if the more expensive models in a lineup have a little more "special sauce" than the lower priced models. If one uses a hand held gimbal then the S5 is the clear choice given all of the options.

4. Collapse Details
    I have the S1h owned the S1 and tried out the s5 on a shoot. I didn’t see any „real world“ difference. As a b-cam the s5 makes more sense than the S1 because of size/weight also becaware the S1 is Stupidly „ntsc“ only in the US and doesn’t come with v-log and higher bitrates.

QUOTE=Bassman2003;1986850169]Thanks for your opinion. There is so much processing in these cameras that I wonder if the more expensive models in a lineup have a little more "special sauce" than the lower priced models. If one uses a hand held gimbal then the S5 is the clear choice given all of the options.[/QUOTE]

5. Collapse Details
    Thanks for your input and good to know. Very generous of Panasonic imho.

6. Collapse Details
    I was an early adopter and got punished by Panasonic for it. I bought the S1 the moment it was available assuming it will be a world camera as has been the case with all Panasonic professional products thus far. Also the reviews I have been reading were written in Europe where the s1 was a world camera I.e. had all the framerstes 24,25,29.97 etc. I had to buy and return get one in the UK couldn’t get the vlog upgrade for free had to purchase it separately. Really dumb rollout of what was supposed to be a professional product.

7. Collapse Details
    You won't ever see the existing S cameras get updated to do FF 60p, as the sensor they share isn't capable of reading/outputting that fast.

We'll have to wait until the next generation of S cameras with the next-gen sensor, probably whatever is in the Sony A74 (just as the Z6 and S-series sensors are A73 sensor). A74 is supposed to come out sometime next year, so I'd be surprised to see new S cameras before a year from now.

8. Collapse Details
    The S1H allready outperformes anything i was ever hoping to have in a camera.
    If anything I would like to see a cine only version with incremental improvements: better evf, larger LCD more programmable functions. If not fine I’ll just keep shooting on the s1h and spend money on glass. I do not miss the early years of the large sensor camera where you had to buy a new camera every 5 months.

QUOTE=aldolega;1986850239]You won't ever see the existing S cameras get updated to do FF 60p, as the sensor they share isn't capable of reading/outputting that fast.

We'll have to wait until the next generation of S cameras with the next-gen sensor, probably whatever is in the Sony A74 (just as the Z6 and S-series sensors are A73 sensor). A74 is supposed to come out sometime next year, so I'd be surprised to see new S cameras before a year from now.[/QUOTE]

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassman2003 View Post
    As a side note, if the three S-series cameras (S1H, S1 & S5) were all set to the same codec, frame rate, bit rate and resolution, do you think the images would be identical or would the higher priced models look any better?
    I believe the S1H has an anti-aliasing filter and the other cameras don't.

I own an S1 and have rented an S1H (and S1) in the past. Image seems the same to me.

The S1 is getting a 5.9k mode, which imo puts it a lot closer to the S1H.

10. Collapse Details
    Thanks for your feedback.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast