Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    The Sony tempts me, but I trust the S1H too much. In favor of the Sony are AF, slower slow motion, no crop, smaller and lighter.

In favor of the S1H - I think the ergos are still going to be superior, physically with button layout, but also in menus. What Panny has done here is just so good. I also have zero reliability fears, this thing is truly a professional camera body that is a tank. No record limits, no overheating, no problems. Just superb. The log curve is very easy to grade, and the higher resolution sensor is a trade off with the Sony - but I think I tip the hat to the higher resolution.

Why? Well; Iíve always been all for the lower res and higher lowlight but the S1H lowlight is so good at this point, the professional uses for needing even more lowlight are extremely limited. On the other hand, the functionality of cropping between APS-C and FF is overlooked quite a bit and I find it immensely helpful. Further, capturing at high resolution allows a true 4K image and that is finally becoming more valuable.

If I really thought Iíd use 120fps a lot, or needed AF, Iíd be tempted over - but practically speaking the S1H has got it where it counts. I love the platform and I suspect at Panasonicís rate of release Iíll be better off upgrading to the S1H successor. Either way, though, Iíd wait 3 months after Sonyís launch to hear real world reports on ergos, overheating, and other quirks before switching platforms. Let the hype die first - speaking from experience of feeling burned a few times. Real world pragmatism of tool > exciting spec sheet.

2. Collapse Details
    I really have to say that the s1h is really hard to beat for me. It has great color, skintones in rec709 and v-log. Timecode, the Ibis is exceptional i don’t use AF so I don’t care about that. The 120p could be better in higher iso. Good lowlight performance. But equally important is the ergonomics everything’s is where it needs to be it’s a camera that gets out of the way. I’m getting the new S5 throw my 100 Zeiss Macro on it just as a closeup camera and keep my 35mm 1.4 Zeiss bolted to the s1h with TC for sync and simply change bodies instead of lenses.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by icarusfilm View Post
    I really have to say that the s1h is really hard to beat for me. It has great color, skintones in rec709 and v-log. Timecode, the Ibis is exceptional i don’t use AF so I don’t care about that. The 120p could be better in higher iso. Good lowlight performance. But equally important is the ergonomics everything’s is where it needs to be it’s a camera that gets out of the way. I’m getting the new S5 throw my 100 Zeiss Macro on it just as a closeup camera and keep my 35mm 1.4 Zeiss bolted to the s1h with TC for sync and simply change bodies instead of lenses.
    what type of shooting is that lens arrangement for out of curiosity?

4. Collapse Details
    i shoot docs, the 35 is general purpose i shoot 90% of everything on it then close-ups with the 100 also sit-down interviews.
    I dont use any wide angles- these days everything wide is covered by Drones POV cams 360 cams etc. I have a Canon FD 500mm L for the occasional Landscape.

Quote Originally Posted by ahalpert View Post
    what type of shooting is that lens arrangement for out of curiosity?

5. Collapse Details
    I really have to say that the s1h is really hard to beat for me. It has great color, skintones in rec709 and v-log. Timecode, the Ibis is exceptional i donít use AF so I donít care about that. The 120p could be better in higher iso. Good lowlight performance. But equally important is the ergonomics everythingís is where it needs to be itís a camera that gets out of the way. Iím getting the new S5 throw my 100 Zeiss Macro on it just as a closeup camera and keep my 35mm 1.4 Zeiss bolted to the s1h with TC for sync and simply change bodies instead of lenses.
    The S5 has a rebate with a free lens. I'll likely sell then lens, but I canceled my A7Siii order might pick up two S5s for the same price -that includes the rebate.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

6. Collapse Details
    i shoot docs, the 35 is general purpose i shoot 90% of everything on it then close-ups with the 100 also sit-down interviews.
    I dont use any wide angles- these days everything wide is covered by Drones POV cams 360 cams etc. I have a Canon FD 500mm L for the occasional Landscape.
    Cool - can you link me to a piece shot with those lenses and cameras? I would find it hard to give up zoom capabilities for doc shooting but perhaps I'm leaning on a crutch

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by m43user View Post
    The S5 has a rebate with a free lens. I'll likely sell then lens, but I canceled my A7Siii order might pick up two S5s for the same price -that includes the rebate.
    The S1H is the first camera where I've owned two bodies and it is so freeing knowing that I'm getting a matched/cohesive look, with all the flexibility of having one rigged up and one stripped-down, or for multi-cam coverage, or keeping one on a gimbal and the other on sticks, so yeah... if I had to decide between two S5's and one A7SIII, I'd definitely go for the pair. It's a small thing, but the advantages have been a bigger deal to me that I expected.

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by m43user View Post
    I just pre-ordered an S5 as well.
    Please subscribe to my YOUTUBE CHANNEL to see all of my projects.

New short film THE APPOINTMENT now available to see!

9. Collapse Details
    The greatest advantage of using two identical cameras is that you can clone them and your muscle memory works the same on both. So two s5s make a ton of sense.

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

10. Collapse Details
    I have an S1, P4k and GH5 and was seriously thinking of selling them all for an A7s III BUT am waiting to see what a firmware update will bring to the S1 before I do anything. My main reservation is that at 12mp and no OLPF the A7S III will not be as moire resistant as the S1 or my P4k which has now got a Rawlite OLPF. It would make a lot of sense in other ways as I use an A7riv for stills and I don’t like the s35 quality on the S1 for 60p. Also the P4k is a mess with it’s external battery and HD and the S1 is on the heavy side. V-Log on the S1 is so good I wonder why I need the hassle of BRAW for a very small gain in colour fidelity.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast