Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    S1H - Anyone thinking about selling for A7s3- thoughts
    hi there,
    I am considering moving to sony - anyone else in the same boat. Part of me thinks it is not worth it but the AF is a big deal for me - the rest of it I can live with it
    The one thing that I like about the s1h is the ability to move to super 35 sensor in 4k which allows for more flexible focal lengths on the lenses. Don't think you can do this on the a7s3 which is a big mark against for me - prob. stay with Pana but my head has been turned. Anyone else thinking the same ..
    Last edited by bzz; 08-25-2020 at 03:29 AM.

2. Collapse Details
    If Sony fixes the heavy noise reduction at high ISOs, I'll buy one for shooting behind the scenes on movie sets. But especially in my own creative work, image problems like that have to take priority over something like autofocus. I have two S1H bodies and am very happy with their color fidelity, dynamic range, and feature set. So an A7Siii would be "in addition to". I don't think I'll replace the S1H cameras until we get a full frame "EVA2" or a hypothetical Varicam Mini LF.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

3. Collapse Details
    S1H ibis and super siqqqq 3:2 6k mode win for me, I don’t think the a7s iii is a replacement for me. The ibis on the a7s iii is still trash compared to the Panasonic and gimmie that full 3:2 sensor or gtfo.
    Hunter Hampton
    hunterismyfriend.com
    vimeo.com/hunter

1 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Zak Forsman View Post
    If Sony fixes the heavy noise reduction at high ISOs, I'll buy one for shooting behind the scenes on movie sets.
    FWIW I believe you can circumvent the NR with the ProRes RAW output

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by bzz View Post
    hi there,
    I am considering moving to sony - anyone else in the same boat.
    I had an S1, not an S1H, but I sold it and am buying an A7SIII.

I bought the S1 last year because I needed a Ronin-s-friendly low-light beast ASAP. It was always in the back of my mind that I might trade it in for something with good AF and no-crop 4K60p.

I'm a decent focus puller and can pull manually on the Ronin-S with the focus motor and wheel. But for shots where I track in on a subject and get close, or for shots where I'm following someone at close-range with shallow DOF, Canon or Sony AF could do a better job than me and on the first try.

There are many excellent features of the A7SIII and I hope it will fulfill its role for me for years. The S1H has some advantages over it, but for my needs the A7SIII is the better choice
    Last edited by ahalpert; 08-24-2020 at 07:47 PM.

6. Collapse Details
    I have an S1H and C300 MKIII and I now have the A7SIII on pre-order (i'll make a decision to buy this or not when its in stock). Each camera has its place. I certainly wouldn't sell my S1H for an A7SIII. The 6K is useful for those odd jobs where the client wants stills from the footage or higher resolution for a commercial. I actually filmed a huge series of educational films last week with 2 x S1H's and the production company I was filming for said they were going to sell their cameras and buy 2 of them. The other thing I really like about this camera is that its fantastic for event filming because of the dual native ISO and ergonomically its a pleasure to use. The WFM is useful for exposure and its light so I can handhold it all day, where as my C300MKIII would be too heavy and the A7SIII for me, wouldn't be as easy to use and doesn't have the amazing IS the S1H has.
    Last edited by boosh; 08-25-2020 at 12:07 AM.

7. Collapse Details
    I think will sell all the gh5s stuff- lenses etc. and pick up sony - that way the af is not an issue

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by boosh View Post
    I have an S1H and C300 MKIII and I now have the A7SIII on pre-order (i'll make a decision to buy this or not when its in stock). Each camera has its place. I certainly wouldn't sell my S1H for an A7SIII. The 6K is useful for those odd jobs where the client wants stills from the footage or higher resolution for a commercial. I actually filmed a huge series of educational films last week with 2 x S1H's and the production company I was filming for said they were going to sell their cameras and buy 2 of them. The other thing I really like about this camera is that its fantastic for event filming because of the dual native ISO and ergonomically its a pleasure to use. The WFM is useful for exposure and its light so I can handhold it all day, where as my C300MKIII would be too heavy and the A7SIII for me, wouldn't be as easy to use and doesn't have the amazing IS the S1H has.
    What glass do people use on S1h?

9. Collapse Details
    Since most of my PL lenses under 75mm won't cover the FF sensor, I use a Sigma 35mm f/1.4 (L-mount) and a Lumix 70-200 f/2.8 (L-mount) for 90% of my shooting. Both of the lenses are excellent and I would buy them again.

10. Collapse Details
    24-105 Panasonic and 14-24 L mount sigma. EF adapted for everything else

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast