Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul F View Post
    This point comes up often and of course, it is a valid argument. But some of us just like to do things ourselves. I've re-invented the wheel over and over. I've spent endless hours developing things only to find out what I built is garbage. But it's just what I like to do. Most sensible people think, why do something when it's already been done. My brain tells me, why buy something when I can have fun doing it myself. I've done this to the extreme. I built my own house. I did everything with the help of two other people. Design, drawings, excavation, foundation, framing, electrical, plumbing, HVAC, custom cabinetry. Well almost everything; I did not do the stucco, concrete flat work, drywall, or roofing. I never built a house before, but it turned out ok.

Oh no, I get it. I like doing some things myself, too (and there's that sense of accomplishment, you get, also). Although I'm no where close enough to "handy" enough to build my own house. I'd love to have that big 'ole garage, though.

I was just laying it out there. Some people really like doing things themselves and can do it just as good or better, and some people just do it because they don't want to spend the money and justify it that way, but in the end it would have been cheaper or a wash to buy off-the-shelf, when you factor in their time. But as with most projects/work you do yourself, the biggest savings are usually in the labor costs.

2. Collapse Details
    I bought the trekpak system for work and love it.
    Matt Gottshalk - Director/ Dp/ and Emmy Award Winning Editor
    Producer/Director, Digital Creative for the United States Postal Service

3. Collapse Details
    Wink
    Quote Originally Posted by Run&Gun View Post
    Oh no, I get it. I like doing some things myself, too (and there's that sense of accomplishment, you get, also). Although I'm no where close enough to "handy" enough to build my own house. I'd love to have that big 'ole garage, though. ...
    The funny thing about the garage is that it started out as a single story 4 car garage. I wanted it tall enough so that I could put a lift in to work on the cars. That led to making a short loft above the other 3 stalls. But the county insisted that I could not have a loft as it was living space and living space above a garage had to be sealed and fireproofed. That led to me figuring I might as well make it a full-fledged room with regular height ceilings and it became a two story garage. My original idea was that I would have a lean to shed at the end of the garage to store lumber and pipe. But that got away from me and I ended up building a two car garage so I could put my tractor in there. But of course, the tractor never got to get parked in there because I turned it into a shop.

Naturally, the garage got built first. I spend a lot of time in there.

Quote Originally Posted by ozmorphasis View Post
    Damn. I suddenly feel very non-renaissance man. Thanks a lot Paul. ; )

Seriously, though. That's very impressive.
    Well, you feeling non-renaissance is a good enough excuse for me to show off some other projects and make you feel worse.

Even before I built the garage and house I built a stone entryway with the gate. I had a guy show me how to lay stone. The gates were pretty easy to weld up.

Gate Driveway.jpg

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12