Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Custom Pelican Case Compartments
    I'm experimenting with a way to compartmentalize travel cases. I wanted something that is semi-permanent, but can be reconfigured as needs change. I've come up with using black corrugated plastic, 1/8" foam, and Top Stick (double sided tape). The corrugated plastic cuts very easily. I double up the plastic (using Top Stick to mate them together) to make layers of compartments with covers to subdivide the layers. In the pictures you see a compartment on the right with two levels.

The long divider is held in place using peices of foam and Top Stick. All of the compartments can have a layer of foam for sensitive parts. The 1/8" foam is enough for many types of parts, but is too thin for heavy protection.

I'll be making compartments on the left side for the baby ball, mic suspension, and softie. The top of the case will have velcro for clear plastic pouches for smaller items; tapes, small patch cables, etc.

1/8" foam - https://www.ebay.com/itm/2LB-Closed-...72.m2749.l2649
    Corrugated black plastic - https://www.ebay.com/itm/4-Pack-4mm-...72.m2749.l2649
    Top Stick - https://www.amazon.com/Topstick-Clea...b-8a79de2d236f

20200823_120029.jpg
    20200823_120120.jpg
    20200823_120145.jpg
    20200823_120152.jpg
    20200823_120217.jpg

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

2. Collapse Details
    Looks good. A lot of political barn signs are made out of corrugated plastic, so I'm hoping to repurpose some after the election.

3. Collapse Details
    Look at the TrekPak inserts for design ideas.

4. Collapse Details
    Looks great Paul. What will you use for the clear plastic pouches?

I think something like this minus the price tag would be good.

5. Collapse Details
    I hope to use clear makeup pouches. I haven't found anything small enough. Something like this. I stole the pouch idea from production mixer videos on youtube. https://www.amazon.com/Toiletry-Port...224268&sr=8-38

These look ok for some things. But I don't care for the narrow top - https://www.amazon.com/BCP-Transpare...8225149&sr=8-2

Here is the case with the bottom finished. Notice the foam padding for some compartments; all sides and bottom for the baby ball. Simple, quick, easy to tear out and redo. It's not pretty. You can spend more time to make it look neat.

20200823_161510[1].jpg

6. Collapse Details
    Just in case you haven't seen this, it might help
    https://www.arielestulin.com/diy-trekpak-for-under-20/

7. Collapse Details
    Excellent. I like the bobby pin idea. I didn't think pins would hold well, but the bobby pins should do the trick.

8. Collapse Details
    I like that DIY Trekpak idea. I have a Michael’s about 10 mins from me. And I love customizing cases. Maybe a little too much.

But the thing you usually don’t see addressed in those types of articles is YOUR TIME. A lot of times, after you factor what your time is worth into the equation, the DIY solution isn’t much, if any cheaper than buying a commercially available solution. The author saved $80 vs. buying the for the two cases, but how much time did he spend going to get the supplies and then fabricating the system? (I just skimmed the article, so I don’t know if he said). BUT, you can probably customize even more/better building it all from scratch...

And with all of that being said, I may take a trip to Michael’s this afternoon. Unfortunately, I have way too much free time right now and I like to customize cases too much, too.

*You can also buy 10 packs of the actual TrekPak pins for ~$10, if you’re worried about bobby-pins or paper-clips.
    Last edited by Run&Gun; 08-24-2020 at 10:23 AM.

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Run&Gun View Post
    ... But the thing you usually don’t see addressed in those types of articles is YOUR TIME. A lot of times, after you factor what your time is worth into the equation, the DIY solution isn’t much, if any cheaper than buying a commercially available solution. The author saved $80 vs. buying the for the two cases, but how much time did he spend going to get the supplies and then fabricating the system? (I just skimmed the article, so I don’t know if he said).
    This point comes up often and of course, it is a valid argument. But some of us just like to do things ourselves. I've re-invented the wheel over and over. I've spent endless hours developing things only to find out what I built is garbage. But it's just what I like to do. Most sensible people think, why do something when it's already been done. My brain tells me, why buy something when I can have fun doing it myself. I've done this to the extreme. I built my own house. I did everything with the help of two other people. Design, drawings, excavation, foundation, framing, electrical, plumbing, HVAC, custom cabinetry. Well almost everything; I did not do the stucco, concrete flat work, drywall, or roofing. I never built a house before, but it turned out ok.

20200824_102819.jpg
    Last edited by Paul F; 08-24-2020 at 12:37 PM.

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul F View Post
    This point comes up often and of course, it is a valid argument. But some of us just like to do things ourselves. I've re-invented the wheel over and over. I've spent endless hours developing things only to find out what I built is garbage. But it's just what I like to do. Most sensible people think, why do something when it's already been done. My brain tells me, why buy something when I can have fun doing it myself. I've done this to the extreme. I built my own house. I did everything with the help of two other people. Design, drawings, excavation, foundation, framing, electrical, plumbing, HVAC, custom cabinetry. Well almost everything; I did not do the stucco, concrete flat work, drywall, or roofing. I never built a house before, but it turned out ok.

20200824_102819.jpg
    Damn. I suddenly feel very non-renaissance man. Thanks a lot Paul. ; )

Seriously, though. That's very impressive.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast