Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by LennyLevy View Post
    I'm not sure what you mean by that but I don't use the stock pad.
    Same here, I can't picture what the problem is. One way or another you have to get the loupe against your cheekbone or the system ain't gonna work right. No only to see the image properly, but also for steadiness during handheld.

2. Collapse Details
    I do have to push my eye a bit to get it right for tjhe VF but its not a big deal. Extending the rod was a big help for me on balance though. Very easy to do since Sony's rod is also 15mm.
    That might be the old system though. Do you have a square rod for the VF?

3. Collapse Details
    I do have to push my eye a bit to get it right for tjhe VF but its not a big deal. Extending the rod was a big help for me on balance though. Very easy to do since Sony's rod is also 15mm.
    That might be the old system though. Do you have a square rod for the VF?
    A round rod... The the left side edge of the vf is a little out of my fov because my eye is not sitting squarely in the cup...

4. Collapse Details
    This conversation reminds me of the April 2020 cover of Film and Digital Times. The guy has got his camera pimped out with 20 lbs. of useless crap, yet somehow failed to get the viewfinder in the right place, which really should be the number one priority. Look at how far he has to lean his head back and angle his face upwards. Ridiculous. BTW, if you're not a FDT subscriber, you absolutely should be.

101-FDT-cover-1080.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

5. Collapse Details
    Yeah, that's a pretty physically stressful position to be in for any prolonged period of time... TBH the stock pad feels best on my shoulder and puts the loupe in the best position. Balance wise it's great with, say, a Sony 18-105 or similar light lens. With a heavier lens it's a bit front heavy...

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug Jensen View Post
    This conversation reminds me of the April 2020 cover of Film and Digital Times. The guy has got his camera pimped out with 20 lbs. of useless crap, yet somehow failed to get the viewfinder in the right place, which really should be the number one priority. Look at how far he has to lean his head back and angle his face upwards. Ridiculous. BTW, if you're not a FDT subscriber, you absolutely should be.

101-FDT-cover-1080.jpg
    I see this often with use of the ARRI Mini and RED cameras. The shoulder pad setup has the camera high on the shoulder and as result the op ends up with their head tilted upwards, straining to see into the loupe.

It is seen in this marketing image from Zacuto, although this example is less extreme than other examples I've seen:

Screen Shot 2020-09-07 at 6.55.13 PM.jpg

If you are operating in more of a film-set manner, where the shots are comparatively of short duration, it is less of a problem than if shooting for an hour continuously, needless to say. I was hired to operate an ARRI rig of a nature where I couldn't get the VF positioned low enough to avoid neck-strain and after a day of shooting handheld my neck was killing me.
    Big sources matter.

7. Collapse Details
    Comfort Matters! ALOT!
    To be honest I have screwed around alot trying to fix that problem of the eye not being squared off to my head angle. Its not awful but I can say I found any great solution. I wear glasses when i shoot though so that could be my issue. Flare problems when shooting into thej sun. or a bright backlights also because of the glasses. Bluestar vf chamois helps.

8. Collapse Details
    Comfort Matters! ALOT!
    To be honest I have screwed around alot trying to fix that problem of the eye not being squared off to my head angle. Its not awful but I can say I found any great solution. I wear glasses when i shoot though so that could be my issue. Flare problems when shooting into thej sun. or a bright backlights also because of the glasses. Bluestar vf chamois helps.
    With the stock pad it's not as much of a problem because the camera sits farther away on your shoulder. The other solution I guess would be to get a longer cross rod for the VF?... Anyway, looks like it takes a bit of screwing around to get it right. I'm finding in addition to eye placement issue, the smallrig pad puts the cam pretty high, too. I'm 6'2" so adding a few more inches makes it seem like I'm in Munchkin land LOL...

9. Collapse Details
    I'm not sure what i did offhand, But probably the main thing is I extended the eyepiece with another 15mm rod from small rig , that way I could get the whole camera further back on my shoulder. I think the shortness of the eyepiece extension was the problem as I recall. Does that make sense? i'm just thinking from memory. Don't have the camera built in front of me. Haven't touched a camera since March to be honest.
    Any idea what size hex screws for the monitor clamp (to replace the rod)?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234